Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Don't need to click on it, the signs around the lake tell me and everyone the correct name.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Don't need to click on it, the signs around the lake tell me and everyone the correct name.
    Already proved this wrong. You should try posting something new.
    Who hates iowa?

Blog Entries

I look at that name and have no idea how to pronounce it without gagging on it. My English does not work well in Ojibwa.
    You can call me Shirley. The "S" has to stand for something!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean S View Post
    I look at that name and have no idea how to pronounce it without gagging on it. My English does not work well in Ojibwa.
    It's easy: Cal-hooooooon
    Who hates iowa?

http://www.startribune.com/minneapol...ska/509993732/

The Minneapolis Park Board moved one step closer Wednesday night to renaming Lake Calhoun roads and public land that surrounds the lake to its original Dakota name, Bde Maka Ska.

With little debate, the board’s five-member Administration and Finance Committee unanimously approved two resolutions for the name change, which still must be voted on by the full nine-member board.

More than a dozen people spoke in favor of the renaming before the committee took action.

“I think this is a symbolic effort, but it will start real change,” said Board Member Jono Cowgill. “Some say names can’t teach us history, but this has instilled a discussion to learn more.”

The roads to be renamed are Calhoun Boulevard West, Calhoun Drive, East Lake Calhoun Parkway and West Lake Calhoun Parkway. Bde Maka Ska will replace the words “Lake Calhoun” or “Calhoun.”
    Other speakers included an ancestor of Calhoun, who apologized for the actions of his relative.

It’s good that they had the ancestor apologizing. Calhoun was a terrible person.

Can't wait to get lost in uptown and need to hope Google knows how to interpret gibberish road names

Battle of Bde Maka Ska isn’t over by a long shot

The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board has launched another volley in the battle over what to call a south Minneapolis lake. The commissioners are poised to rename four streets around Bde Maka Ska even though the name of the lake itself remains in dispute.

While renaming the body of water has proved to be a complex legal and political process involving all three branches of government, renaming parks and the streets around them is the purview of the park board.

A board committee voted unanimously Wednesday to replace the name Calhoun with Bde Maka Ska on Calhoun Boulevard West, Calhoun Drive, and East and West Lake Calhoun parkways. The park surrounding the lake would also be renamed.

The park board board begins gathering public comments on the proposal Thursday through an online survey. The board also will send notices in the mail to everyone who lives within three blocks of the affected streets ahead of a public hearing later in the summer.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/0...e-from-calhoun

Oh man, can you imagine how toxic some of the comments on that online survey will be?

Oh man, can you imagine how toxic some of the comments on that online survey will be?
    They should make it public so people know whether their representatives are doing what the people actually want.

And no matter how much snow flakes like you cry and cry the calhoun name will never be removed from that area. I biked by there on my commute yesterday, lots of stuff still holding the name. Probably saw it 20 times.
    Who hates iowa?

Quote Originally Posted by bottlebass View Post
    They should make it public so people know whether their representatives are doing what the people actually want.

And no matter how much snow flakes like you cry and cry the calhoun name will never be removed from that area. I biked by there on my commute yesterday, lots of stuff still holding the name. Probably saw it 20 times.
    That’s fine with me. People still wear Sioux gear to North Dakota hockey games, and will for many years to come.

It’s the official designation that counts, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rowdaboat View Post
    Can't wait to get lost in uptown and need to hope Google knows how to interpret gibberish road names
    Let Kid Rock help you. Bawitdaska.

Blog Entries

Default Ya don't say!

Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    George Orwell wrote about you.
    Writing from the grave is quite the feat.
    You can call me Shirley. The "S" has to stand for something!

It's inevitable that the lake will be called Bde Maka Ska. The real issue is that it's not that easy for white people to pronounce. So what. Get used to it and get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiche View Post
    It's inevitable that the lake will be called Bde Maka Ska. The real issue is that it's not that easy for white people to pronounce. So what. Get used to it and get over it.
    Is it any harder to pronounce than Minnetonka or Mille Lacs? No. Just old white conservatives fighting change.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiche View Post
    Luckily all the native speakers living in MPLS will be able to pronounce it. That’s important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk