Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 198
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Saint Paul
    Posts
    1,122

    Default Lake Calhoun.....Once Again

    http://www.startribune.com/bde-maka-...day/509215742/

    https://www.twincities.com/2019/04/2...-bde-maka-ska/


    Regardless of where you stand on which name should be used, the statutory authority is clear on this issue, and the DNR exceeded it.

    Subdivision 1. Applicability. A name of a lake, river, stream, or other body of water may be given or changed under sections 83A.05 to 83A.07 except that a name which has existed for 40 years may not be changed under the provisions of sections 83A.05 to 83A.07.

    Reading the opinion, it seems as though the DNR was banking on the only real challenge that could be made after the name change was made would be denied (like it was in district court) because the official action was already complete. Very sneaky.


  2. #2

    Default

    Still BMS at the federal level, that can’t be changed by state law. So Mpls city and park board have a basis to continue referring to the lake as BMS, which they will.

    Split name signs are better than Calhoun only signs, and can’t be challenged in court because again that’s the name at the federal level. If that’s where it ends up, so be it. That’s still a victory over glorifying the history of a bigot.
    Last edited by Gophers_4life; 04-30-2019 at 07:34 AM.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Still BMS at the federal level, that can’t be changed by state law. So Mpls city and park board have a basis to continue referring to the lake as BMS, which they will.

    Split name signs are better than Calhoun only signs, and can’t be challenged in court because again that’s the name at the federal level. If that’s where it ends up, so be it. That’s still a victory over glorifying the history of a bigot.
    A bigot like George Washington? Thomas Jefferson? No generation is perfect. This generation is not worthy of the founders, who while flawed were heroes. We need to stop vilifying those of the past as if those of the present are perfect. This is a disgusting generation of ungrateful leftists who will throw away the greatest nation in history if we continue in this way.

  4. #4

    Default

    How sad that the fricking DNR is totally politicized.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    A bigot like George Washington? Thomas Jefferson? No generation is perfect. This generation is not worthy of the founders, who while flawed were heroes. We need to stop vilifying those of the past as if those of the present are perfect. This is a disgusting generation of ungrateful leftists who will throw away the greatest nation in history if we continue in this way.
    The lies being told are that removing an honorary naming is equal to rewriting history and/or vilifying the person.

    They’re effective lies because they appeal to simpletons, who want that to be the truth.


    The actual truth is that an honorary naming is done to glorify the history of a person, and removing that honorary naming does nothing more than remove that glorification. The history is still there, exactly as it was before, unchanged. And no vilification has been done, only a historical accounting for why the honorary naming should be removed.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    The actual truth is that an honorary naming is done to glorify the history of a person, and removing that honorary naming does nothing more than remove that glorification. The history is still there, exactly as it was before, unchanged. And no vilification has been done, only a historical accounting for why the honorary naming should be removed.
    Exactly. We need to remove the honorary naming for pretty much everything prior to 2009 (We can call it Before Barack). It's the only way to be sure we don't accidentally celebrate racism, homophobia and misogyny. And we'll probably need to wipe clean 2017-2024 also.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    The lies being told are that removing an honorary naming is equal to rewriting history and/or vilifying the person.

    They’re effective lies because they appeal to simpletons, who want that to be the truth.


    The actual truth is that an honorary naming is done to glorify the history of a person, and removing that honorary naming does nothing more than remove that glorification. The history is still there, exactly as it was before, unchanged. And no vilification has been done, only a historical accounting for why the honorary naming should be removed.
    George Orwell wrote about you.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Corn Field
    Posts
    23,411

    Default

    How many people actually think about the person something is named after when they go to the lake, drive on that street, etc? Keep the name, change it, it doesn't matter to me. How many people on both sides of this discussion actually knew who Calhoun actually was prior to all this?

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GophersInIowa View Post
    How many people actually think about the person something is named after when they go to the lake, drive on that street, etc? Keep the name, change it, it doesn't matter to me. How many people on both sides of this discussion actually knew who Calhoun actually was prior to all this?
    If the name change had occurred unchallenged and unreported, probably few still would.

    Those angry that Calhoun’s history has been accounted for publicly have only to blame those who are fighting the name change and the reports on it that only seek to profit from the attention to the fight.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    A bigot like George Washington? Thomas Jefferson? No generation is perfect. This generation is not worthy of the founders, who while flawed were heroes. We need to stop vilifying those of the past as if those of the present are perfect. This is a disgusting generation of ungrateful leftists who will throw away the greatest nation in history if we continue in this way.
    Oh stop it, humble beggar! Calhoun was no Washington or Jefferson. He was a secessionist, a proponent of slavery and slaveholder rights, states rights, white rights. Your basic 19th century white nationalist. He's remembered in the senate the way McConnell will be remembered: a defender of the entrenched interests of white people.

    It appears that the DNR didn't follow the rules and this will have to be settled by the legislature. However, having Calhoun's name on a local landmark shouldn't be a source of civic pride.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamiche View Post
    Oh stop it, humble beggar! Calhoun was no Washington or Jefferson. He was a secessionist, a proponent of slavery and slaveholder rights, states rights, white rights. Your basic 19th century white nationalist. He's remembered in the senate the way McConnell will be remembered: a defender of the entrenched interests of white people.

    It appears that the DNR didn't follow the rules and this will have to be settled by the legislature. However, having Calhoun's name on a local landmark shouldn't be a source of civic pride.
    Let’s be honest: if the name change had been proposed to some other historical Minnesota white male, there would be zero stink being put up.

    The wealthy white bigots who own the big homes around the lake HATE the way Bde Maka Ska looks and sounds, they hate that it’s a Dakota name in Dakota language.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Let’s be honest: if the name change had been proposed to some other historical Minnesota white male, there would be zero stink being put up.

    The wealthy white bigots who own the big homes around the lake HATE the way Bde Maka Ska looks and sounds, they hate that it’s a Dakota name in Dakota language.
    It’s interesting that this is your hill to die on, and it speaks volumes of your lack of depth. It’s all the rich and the racists fault!

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    If the name change had occurred unchallenged and unreported, probably few still would.

    Those angry that Calhoun’s history has been accounted for publicly have only to blame those who are fighting the name change and the reports on it that only seek to profit from the attention to the fight.
    Huh? How would you change the name unchallenged and unreported? Wow! Talk about an authoritarian mindset!

  14. #14

    Default

    The challenging and the reporting is the fault of the challengers and reporters. Not the changers.

    Or do you blame the victim of grand theft auto for having the gall to own a vehicle??

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GophersInIowa View Post
    How many people actually think about the person something is named after when they go to the lake, drive on that street, etc? Keep the name, change it, it doesn't matter to me. How many people on both sides of this discussion actually knew who Calhoun actually was prior to all this?
    This. Who cares.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •