Gophers rank #23 in CBS Post-Spring Top 25 rankings

As we all know doesn't mean anything except that were getting recognize and that is nice. Was surprised though, nothing was said about the fact that were the 2nd youngest team in college football.

I of course keep thinking about best-case scenarios but I do remind myself that with a very well balanced and deepening B1G West, not only could any one of the Gophers, Iowa, Nebraska, or Wisconsin win it but one of those teams will finish in fourth to sixth place. And that could be the Gopher’s fate. Nothing, even a letdown, is totally out of the realm of possibilities.

Doesn’t everyone remember the true and infallible measure of college football team power and strength? . . . Sagarin. ;)

I like it, except Sconnie needs to replace damn near everyone of caliber on their defense, plus their QB and best WR on offense..

And Nebraska sliding in that high? They have potential, need to prove it first....

I would love it if the Gophers o/u comes in at 7 wins. Would take that in a heartbeat.

Dane Brugler's 2020 mock draft at The Athletic has two Hawkeyes going in the top ten - A.J. Epenesa at #4 and Tristan Wirfs at #7.

Iowa generally has a solid record (and occasionally exceptional as in 2015), but with as many players as they put into the NFL year after year I'm almost surprised their record isn't better.

Dane Brugler's 2020 mock draft at The Athletic has two Hawkeyes going in the top ten - A.J. Epenesa at #4 and Tristan Wirfs at #7.

Iowa generally has a solid record (and occasionally exceptional as in 2015), but with as many players as they put into the NFL year after year I'm almost surprised their record isn't better.

Mississippi with snow.

There are also 5 ranked B1G West teams.

Great that Gophs are getting some recognition. Fleck and Co have the chance to do something special in 2019. I've been pointing to 2019 as an opportunity since 2016. The schedule is favorable with opponents and having five B1G games at home.

Once again, lots of love for the Huskers. Back to back 4-8 seasons gets you preseason #17? We’ll see. Looking forward to this fall.

Can never really put too much stock in pre-season rankings, especially for college football, but obviously great to see us listed in there. Gives the coaches another tool to work with as they try to teach the players how to deal with expectations and making the transition from being the hunter to the hunted.

Once again, lots of love for the Huskers. Back to back 4-8 seasons gets you preseason #17? We’ll see. Looking forward to this fall.

It seems to be all tied up in Adrian Martinez right? Should he stumble or get injured it would be tough times in Lincoln.

Last edited:

A 400lb right tackle? I wonder how many plays the guy could play consecutively before needing to be subbed out.

It seems to be all tied up in Taylor Martinez right? Should he stumble or get injured it would be tough times in Lincoln.

Two problems with Nebraska:

Martinez’ playing still led to him getting banged up last year. Agreed if he is hurt they aren’t nearly as potent.

Second problem is you also have to play defense. Their offense looked legit last year but their defense was terrible.

I think they overcome both of those things and win 7-9 games next year. They have a favorable schedule in my opinion. Minnesota is probably their toughest road game as I think Colorado and Purdue are going to be below average.

A 400lb right tackle? I wonder how many plays the guy could play consecutively before needing to be subbed out.

He's played the full game multiple times last year.

So he doesn't really ever have to be subbed out unless its injury related.

Martinez’ playing still led to him getting banged up last year. Agreed if he is hurt they aren’t nearly as potent.

Second problem is you also have to play defense. Their offense looked legit last year but their defense was terrible.

I think they overcome both of those things and win 7-9 games next year. They have a favorable schedule in my opinion. Minnesota is probably their toughest road game as I think Colorado and Purdue are going to be below average.

But if what I read on the internet rumor mill is true, Frost's plan to restore Nebraska's program to where it was in the 90's involves a lot of cash, hookers, cars, and a blind eye. So they got that going for them...No?

I'm just glad Minnesota and Iowa State could show out for Maroon and Gold after Florida State and USC couldn't be bothered to make it.

What is important to remember is that Nebraska won their last four games, so they really have some momentum right now.

Top Bottom