49 of the record 144 underclassmen who declared for NFL Draft went undrafted

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Axios:

A whopping 49 of the record 144 underclassmen who decided to end their college careers early and enter this year's NFL draft went undrafted, per The Athletic's Max Olson, leaving them without a school to return to or a true developmental league to join.

Many undrafted players will sign with NFL teams, but those deals guarantee them very little money and almost zero job security.

So, unless their sole mission was to never attend another college class or eat another slice of dining hall pizza, the majority of undrafted underclassmen would have been better off returning to school.

How it works: Leaving school early is risky for all collegiate athletes, but it's a far tougher and more permanent decision for football players.

In basketball, underclassmen who don't hire an agent can participate in the NBA combine and gather direct feedback, all while maintaining their college eligibility. Baseball is even more lenient: if an underclassman is drafted but doesn't sign a contract, they can return to school no problem.

In football, underclassmen must make the "stay or go" decision months ahead of the NFL combine, and there's no turning back. This forces them to rely solely on intelligence gathered by their coaches; an official evaluation by the College Advisory Committee (CAC); and the advice of agents, many of whom provide false hope to lure clients.

The big picture: The number of underclassmen who have declared for the NFL draft has more than doubled since 2011, and this trend shows no signs of slowing down.

During the 2016 and 2017 drafts, 80 underclassmen who were advised to stay in school by the CAC declared anyway. Some were given bad advice, some decided against better advice and others simply had no interest in continuing to play football for free.

"There are 50 to 60 guys every year now that are going out for the draft that probably shouldn't. And they would all be in next year's draft," Alabama coach Nick Saban told The Athletic following a similar outcome last year.

"So it becomes almost a vicious cycle because if those 50 to 60 players didn't come out, it would be a horrible draft. Because there wouldn’t be enough players — they all left last year."

Potential solutions:

An underclassmen combine would help prospects gather more information about their draft standing before making their final decision.
A true developmental league would create more opportunities for undrafted players to continue their careers. Here's an idea: why not expand the NFL's practice squad and turn it into one?

The bottom line:

"Every player thinks they're going to play in the NFL, and only 2% make an NFL team. Somebody is creating an unrealistic reality. ... There's no alternative. There's no option where I can go play in Lithuania. There isn't one. You're out."

Go Gophers!!

Agents and their runners are the biggest problem in all this. They could care less about the kid they just want to get them signed and cash in, if they kid doesn't make it they are cast aside for the next crop of players.

I get the lure of the NFL and the huge payday that comes with it but under classmen need to know that their odds are slim already and unless they are the best of the best they are probably better off staying in school. Didn't read the whole story but I am sure a good number of the underclassmen that were drafted were taken in the later rounds where there is very little guaranteed money and you are not a lock to end up on the teams roster they way the really high picks are.

Feel bad for the kids that get duped but the bottom line is they need to be smart about who they listen to and not focus in just on the big payday.

Last edited:

Ahhh the Rick Rickert draft cycle. Glad they have sort of fixed this in some of the other sports and sad they haven't done so for football.

With all the failings of everything from the USFL to the XFL, etc. it seems clear a feeder league can't make it. Or could it? I like the idea of a sort of "farm club" for each NFL team where an expansion of the practice squad would result in an actual team that could play in a shorter non-fall season (maybe 10-12 games) to develop players. Being associated with NFL teams would help a lot, I would think. Seeing Vikings rubes paint their faces and stand in line to attend the draft, or count the days until the schedule is released, or pumping media for tidbits on off season OTA's, etc. makes me think a lot of people would pile into cars to check out a game between the Fargo Vikings and the Milwaukee Packers.

the majority of undrafted underclassmen would have been better off returning to school.

That doesn't mean that is what they wanted...

I don't buy into the idea that they 1.) Would have gotten better. 2.) Really would be better off in life staying in school.

I think a lot of guys don't go to school... for school and straight up don't care.

Saban and others of course make a ton of money and have a self interest in saying guys should stay and work for them.... but if there is a guy who is better they'll bench a dude who stayed in a heartbeat... they aren't interested in helping.

That doesn't mean that is what they wanted...

I don't buy into the idea that they 1.) Would have gotten better. 2.) Really would be better off in life staying in school.

I think a lot of guys don't go to school... for school and straight up don't care.

Saban and others of course make a ton of money and have a self interest in saying guys should stay and work for them.... but if there is a guy who is better they'll bench a dude who stayed in a heartbeat... they aren't interested in helping.

The bottom line section of the OP is the sad reality of all this:

"Every player thinks they're going to play in the NFL, and only 2% make an NFL team. Somebody is creating an unrealistic reality. ... There's no alternative. There's no option where I can go play in Lithuania. There isn't one. You're out."

Agree with most of what you said however I honestly believe that if a coach truly felt a player was ready for the NFL they would advise them to go pro. The reality is that very few players truly are ready for the NFL even after they complete their college eligibility. Lots of these players get bad advice from the people around them who just want to cash in on their potential big payday.

In the end it is up to the player to do what they feel is best, but the reality is a good portion of these players believe they are going to make millions playing football when the vast majority of them will only make a small amount of money or no money at all playing once they leave college.

As much as I love football the NFL is a bad bet in general. Short careers and for the average guy, the payday isn't life changing. A 5th round pick that lasts say 4 years may make a million dollars after taxes. That's great on its face but it ain't making a guy rich, not when they're living a pro athlete life, then probably spending two years trying to get back into the league while maybe or maybe not working. All while putting yourself 4 years behind all the other college grads in whatever field they'll pursue after football. I mean it's not a bad thing, it's just not the jackpot a lot of these guys think it is

I forgot that Snelson left early. He was one of the 49.

As much as I love football the NFL is a bad bet in general. Short careers and for the average guy, the payday isn't life changing. A 5th round pick that lasts say 4 years may make a million dollars after taxes. That's great on its face but it ain't making a guy rich, not when they're living a pro athlete life, then probably spending two years trying to get back into the league while maybe or maybe not working. All while putting yourself 4 years behind all the other college grads in whatever field they'll pursue after football. I mean it's not a bad thing, it's just not the jackpot a lot of these guys think it is

On top of that you have the guys that don't take advantage of the educational opportunities they have to help set themselves up for life after football because they are so sure they will make it. So when it goes south they have nothing to fall back on. That is when you end up seeing those guys still hanging on years after they had any shot of making it because they put all their eggs in one basket and it didn't work out.

I don't fault any player for taking their shot at the dream, you just hope they went at it the smart way, understanding that the odds are not in their favor when it comes to making it. No matter how good all the people around them are telling them they are.

On top of that you have the guys that don't take advantage of the educational opportunities they have to help set themselves up for life after football because they are so sure they will make it. So when it goes south they have nothing to fall back on. That is when you end up seeing those guys still hanging on years after they had any shot of making it because they put all their eggs in one basket and it didn't work out.

I don't fault any player for taking their shot at the dream, you just hope they went at it the smart way, understanding that the odds are not in their favor when it comes to making it. No matter how good all the people around them are telling them they are.

Yeah even for those guys that "make it", only a small percentage of them are truly set for life financially from their playing days.

you also have a lot of schools that don’t exactly encourage players to take full advantage of their education

There’s nothing keeping the guys from getting a decent to good education. It’s about priorities.
There’s nothing from keeping a guy that clears a million after taxes from making good financial decisions.

Granted, it helps to have good mentors but all the mentoring in the world won’t help some.

you also have a lot of schools that don’t exactly encourage players to take full advantage of their education

Fake classes at UNC... if you had to take those, not gonna do well no matter what.

Only about 1.6% of draft eligible college football players hear their names called in the NFL Draft.
https://www.quora.com/What-percentage-of-college-players-make-it-to-the-NFL

Sadly enough, there is illusions of grandeur (and a form of exploitation) abound. Kids get pumped up and put on a pedestal in high school. Then by college coaches and recruiters. Then, finally by professional recruiters whispering into the kids ears that they are good enough and are enticed to enter the draft early like in Pleasure Island, the land of the lost boys in Pinocchio. The 49 out of 144 players remaining undrafted doesn't even include the likes of O.J. Smith. There are a lot more donkeys than advertised. Not very many colleges coaches want to share the statistics about the odds of making it into the pros when they are trying to recruit to notch talent. Maybe perhaps after they are signed.

Blake Cashman beat the odds from walk on to being drafted in the 5th Round by the NY Jets. Only 256 football players got selected out of over 16K+ draft eligible players. Huge congratulations to Blake!

I can think of a reason why parents would find playing football for the Gophers attractive. They increase the odds of their kids earning a college degree as opposed to going to other P5 colleges where the emphasis is on "Athlete" rather than "Student". Earning a college degree is a life changer for the majority who will never play a down in the NFL.

Last edited:

Top Bottom