Best Place for Gopher archival data

WHENESOTA

Reaction score
Hello gopher hole. I am doing a story on a player from the 1940 team. I am trying to find the best place for information. Logically I started with the Gopher Archives on gophersports.com.

https://gophersports.com/sports/2018/5/21/sports-m-footbl-archive-minn-m-footbl-archive-html.aspx

But I noticed they have some information that may not be correct. For example...they have the same team photo for the 1940, and 1941 teams. (Its actually the 1941 team in both photos and thus the incorrect 1940 photo. Also I noticed that the stats on that site don't always seem to be the same as other sites like sports reference.

Anyway...just wondering what is considered to be the official canon when it comes to gopher archival stats and media.

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

I've wondered the same. I have a relative that played for the team but can't find any good records from 100 years ago and etc.

There have to be archives at the U right? Maybe someone who teaches / practices archiving stuff? Get them and some students on it as a project!

Call Sid.

Ive found that Sids information sometimes doesnt match up with others too.

I've wondered the same. I have a relative that played for the team but can't find any good records from 100 years ago and etc.

There have to be archives at the U right? Maybe someone who teaches / practices archiving stuff? Get them and some students on it as a project!
The GopherSports.com has an archive...Just wasnt accurate in what I was looking for.

The Athletic Department might have a Sports Information Director, try that.

I think Googling down countless rabbit holes is your only answer. Compare what you find and reach your own conclusions. I have searched for different things for hours and can't say I have found "the" source. Wiki maybe has the most but it's in different posts that don't always link.
My guess...the athletic department knows less than you. Generally, they do the job for money and not for love...very much focused on the present. That's been my experience.
Good luck with your journey.

I went on google look for some info about my Dad who played in the late 40's and early 50's and found this
sequence=1"]https://conservancy.umn.edu/bitstream/handle/11299/92427/SportsNews1947_1959.pdf[/URL]

If you are serious -

1. Go to the Wilson Library at the U and talk to the Librarian. The Librarian may steer you in the right direction. There might be valuable U of M newspapers, Minneapolis Star, Minneapolis Tribune, The Pioneer Press, etc... news clippings in archival storage. I don't know if they still have microfiche or if they have digitized all that content.

2. Track down the hometown of the player(s) and check to see if they have local newspapers of the era.

3. Do some online sleuthing and Ancestry.com. If you know the persons hometown, birth date, etc..., you can narrow down the search field, and may even come up with the names of living relatives. Go to the hometown(s) and chat with some local folks who may know the family or living relatives.

4. Seek advice from people that do genealogy searches or old time news folks on where to look. If you can talk to Sid and Mr Fulda (Reusse), they may have some clues.

This is just a suggestion. It depends on how far you'd want to go with the story.

I think a first person account of a living relative with family pictures would always make a story interesting and come to life.

--------

OOPS - It looks like you've already got your scoop. Never mind.

Last edited:

It just occurred to me that I never came back and shared the finished product. Its about one of Bruce Smith's Full Backs, Ed Steinbauer. feel free to read.

http://www.whenesota.com/home/when-esota-blog/mondayswitheddieapersonalaccountofaminnesotagopherlegendandtheheismantrophy
What a great story, thanks for sharing. This meant a lot to me as my dad played against both those guys in sports back in high school. They both went to the U, my dad was recruited to play football at Hamline, but took over the family farm and got married. He had many stories about Bruce Smith, it was always fascinating to listen to stories of that era.

Top Bottom