Big Ten Coaching Rankings

It does not bother me what you think of Gard, your entitled your opinion. That is what a message board is. I am not even claiming that my opinion is better than yours. We simply look at something and see it differently.
Pulling Hoiberg's record, number of conference titles or elite 8's or final 4's it comes up well short of more than 15 programs over that time frame. Just because he built it in a way i do not support does not mean i do not respect him
He was also only there for six years. Hoiberg is absolutely ahead of Gard, unlike Gard he actually built a program. Giving Gard credit for any of that is as asinine as giving Richard credit for Rick's Louisville success. Gard at best has inherited a great situation and maintained, but one could argue they've fallen off a bit. Time will tell if he's Roy Williams at Kansas or what Larry Cocker was for Miami football, but having nine scholarship athletes is a huge red flag. Especially if Reuvers or Trice gets hurt. It's a strong league, even the guy I have at 13 is doing well for Rutgers, he just has a tall task in front of him. There are no bad coaches in this league right now.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Please, if you expect credibility, don’t make outlandish statements. They did briefly crack the top ten for a few weeks in the 14-15 season, but never finished in the top 15 any year the Freddy was their.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is top 20 better?

That is the problem. Your honest assessment is fine, however it is obvious that is is weighted heavily against Gard because he is the HC at a hated rival. This doesn't even mean you hate him. It only means that you have a predetermination of his value based on false criteria.
Again you have no idea what you're talking about. Bo Ryan was easily in the top two, maybe three in his hey day. Gard hasn't built anything, any objective person can see he's not the teacher Ryan was and he's not bringing in the talent, and you can see the cracks as we get further away from the Ryan years. An inferior Richard Pitino coach team came into your building and won. I am related to one of your walk ons, so I don't hate your whole team. Great he won with another guys players, the last two years, no post season, got dummied in round one.

Again you have no idea what you're talking about. Bo Ryan was easily in the top two, maybe three in his hey day. Gard hasn't built anything, any objective person can see he's not the teacher Ryan was and he's not bringing in the talent, and you can see the cracks as we get further away from the Ryan years. An inferior Richard Pitino coach team came into your building and won. I am related to one of your walk ons, so I don't hate your whole team. Great he won with another guys players, the last two years, no post season, got dummied in round one.

Agree with the way it looks it is going. Ryan was the best in the conference for as long as he was there. Highest win % in conference history ! I defend Gard because i know how well he teaches and as a assistant had has much in the say of recruiting versus anyone i can remember. Ryan hurt Gard's recruiting by when he left but he did get him the job. This year is a major tell, more experience. If he goes 15-5 or so that will quiet the critics. Sure would be great if once in 7 years we could finish better than UW. They would never tolerate 40-70.

They tolerated it for decades prior to Bennet.

Exactly. Prior to Bennett they did not have a AD that was introduced on how to follow a precision plan on how to hire a basketball coach. That AD set a standard for how to hire and they repeated that. Hiring a great coach means you will not go 40-70. Alvarez will not allow that level of failure. He has to stand by Greg as i think he is the fastest coach to 40 conference victories.

Agree with the way it looks it is going. Ryan was the best in the conference for as long as he was there. Highest win % in conference history ! I defend Gard because i know how well he teaches and as a assistant had has much in the say of recruiting versus anyone i can remember. Ryan hurt Gard's recruiting by when he left but he did get him the job. This year is a major tell, more experience. If he goes 15-5 or so that will quiet the critics. Sure would be great if once in 7 years we could finish better than UW. They would never tolerate 40-70.
I don't think most schools would tolerate 40-70 and quite frankly had we had an AD in place I don't think Richard would have survived the 2015-2016 season, with the off court issues on top of it. I do think they have a chance at an excellent season if Coffey comes back, probably a bubble team if he doesn't. As for Gard his best recruiting class was the class of 17 when he hauled in Reuvers, Davison and King. If he goes 15-5 than your right. Trice and Reuvers are good players, Brad is okay, he's a walking definition of white privilege, but different discussion for a different day. Pritzel a nice bench piece, but not a starter, same with King. Ford okay off the bench I guess, but a starter. Potter didn't do much at OSU and who knows when he can play. Than what do you got Hedstrom and Wahl. Good luck

Guess I need to update this, everyone moves up one, except Izzo who is the top dog. Gotta put Howard at the bottom until I have something to go off of. The canvas doesn't get any fresher

Izzo
Painter
Holtmann
Hoiberg
Miller
Turgeon
Fran
Gard
Pitino
Underwood
Collins
Chambers
Pikiell
Howard

Thanks for posting, it is a fun way to share opinion. Not for a minute that my list is better, simply different.
Izzo
Painter
Holtmann
Gard
Miller
Turgeon
Underwood
Hoiberg
Collins
Pitino
Fran
Chambers
Pikiel
Howard

Pretty similar, your higher on Gard and Collins, I am higher on Hoiberg. What the badger fans don't understand is I don't think Gard is a bad coach. I think he did well with Ryan's players and his recruiting has been suspect the last two years. I do like Johnny Davis in the 2020 class. Gard i's in the middle until he has a successful campaign with his guys. The other guy I can see moving up is Underwood, if they put it together this year, if IU is bad again, Archie"s Dayton success isn't going to keep him in the top half. I have Collins lower than Pitino because they've clearly been going the wrong way the past two years and Pitino has more tourney appearance's. Personally, I think Howard will be a busy at Michigan, they'll be alright this year with Beilien leftovers, but long term?

Gave Collins points for being a better teacher and he has a far more difficult job. Gard is a incredible teacher who inherited not only a team that was a mess but the way Ryan went out dragging it on with recruits, sabotaged 2 years of recruits. I like his 17 class. Incredible that he went 14-6 last year. Ryan was a great coach but he did inherit Devin Harris, Alando Tucker, Mike Wilkinson and Kirk Penney plus Tony Bennett who delivered the players mentioned. That is some staff, Ryan, Bennett, Gard, Saul Phillips and Jeter. Explains a lot about Ryan being the Big 10's all time leader in win %.

Gave Collins points for being a better teacher and he has a far more difficult job. Gard is a incredible teacher who inherited not only a team that was a mess but the way Ryan went out dragging it on with recruits, sabotaged 2 years of recruits. I like his 17 class. Incredible that he went 14-6 last year. Ryan was a great coach but he did inherit Devin Harris, Alando Tucker, Mike Wilkinson and Kirk Penney plus Tony Bennett who delivered the players mentioned. That is some staff, Ryan, Bennett, Gard, Saul Phillips and Jeter. Explains a lot about Ryan being the Big 10's all time leader in win %.
Fair enough, the only way to measure player development is wins and losses, so if what you say is true than Gard should have no problem proving he's one of the best in the league

I do not think wins and losses is the only way to measure player development because you could see huge improvements from some guys and lose some guys to injuries and thus not win as often. There is individual improvement and team improvement. I see Gards players improving . Agree that this is a huge year for him with Happ gone but there are things they will do better without him. Recruiting is tough for all but the blue bloods and so is putting together a great staff and establishing a culture.

My list goes like this:

Painter

Izzo
Beilien

Gard
Holtman

Hoiberg

Pitino
Pikiell
Chambers

Underwood
Miller

Collins

McCaffery
Turgeon

Izzo is good, but always has the best talent. With all those FFs, can't beat the best in the end and most of the losses have been lopsided.

After the top 3, most have not completely established themselves. I give credit to several of the lower tier guys for making progress. Rutgers when they entered the league was abysmal. Pikiell has made them a competitive entity. Same for Chambers at PSU. Fran & Turgeon are awful, maybe they prove me wrong next year but until they do they belong at the bottom below others that have yet to show me one way or the other.

The one that I have the most trouble with is Collins. It seemed he was trending up but they went the other way quick and not sure he will last to bring them back.

I stand by my original comments. There are just 2 proven winners now--Painter & Izzo. I do think Matt is the best and think he will show it again with a top tier finish this year.

Until they have a team that performs better than the talent, Turgeon & McCaffery are the bottom two. Virtually everyone else is still proving it in the B1G. That is a lot of turnover. Is Chambers #5 in seniority?

I stand by my original comments. There are just 2 proven winners now--Painter & Izzo. I do think Matt is the best and think he will show it again with a top tier finish this year.

Until they have a team that performs better than the talent, Turgeon & McCaffery are the bottom two. Virtually everyone else is still proving it in the B1G. That is a lot of turnover. Is Chambers #5 in seniority?

I think in seniority it goes

Izzo
Painter
Fran
Chambers
Pitino/Collins
Turgeon
Gard
Pikiel
Miller/Underwood/Holtman
Hoiberg/Howard

Sidenote Iam only counting Turgeon time in the Big Ten, not his years at Maryland in the ACC, believe Maryland hired him the same year Penn State hired Chambers

Top Bottom