PJ Fleck Interview new - Sunday 4-28-19

It's not about bugging me. It's about my curiosity as to why he brings it up. What benefit does saying we're the 2nd youngest team provide? Why should anyone care?
Also, I'm curious to know who he says is the youngest team.

I think a lot of coaches play the "we're young" card. Kill did it. It's a coach's way of making a preemptive excuse if their season doesn't go well. I think PJ just does it more often. It's something you'll hear in almost every one of his interviews.

Well in reality we still are young. Why does it bug you that he states this? Really not that big of deal in my opinion. Time to move on.

For me, it's that they will have one of the more experienced starting line ups in the B1G. I would love if Fleck focused on that message instead.

It's not about bugging me. It's about my curiosity as to why he brings it up. What benefit does saying we're the 2nd youngest team provide? Why should anyone care?

Seems to get brought up quite a bit. I care about the status of the team so I welcome news of all sorts. Everyone has different views, interests etc. as to the type of news that interest them. So what may interest you may not interest me. I would think that would be normal. I believe it was posted elsewhere who the youngest team was. Glad its not bugging you!

I think a lot of coaches play the "we're young" card. Kill did it. It's a coach's way of making a preemptive excuse if their season doesn't go well. I think PJ just does it more often. It's something you'll hear in almost every one of his interviews.
Is there a site that gives the youngest team, since we're, by Fleck's reckoning, the second youngest?

Seems to get brought up quite a bit. I care about the status of the team so I welcome news of all sorts. Everyone has different views, interests etc. as to the type of news that interest them. So what may interest you may not interest me. I would think that would be normal. I believe it was posted elsewhere who the youngest team was. Glad its not bugging you!

Fleck brings it up quite a bit. I think Fleck needs to change his best here...and take your advice to move on.

While true, PJ chooses to be very specific with this topic (the youngest team, the second youngest team). I would be interested in knowing the exact algorithm being used to calculate this. I’m assuming the math has been done - I wish they would share it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a site that gives the youngest team, since we're, by Fleck's reckoning, the second youngest?

So its bugging you, then, isn't it. Quite an entertaining schtick you have going.

So its bugging you, then, isn't it. Quite an entertaining schtick you have going.
LOL, an innocent question turned around by the fanatics here at GH. One can't make up the number of nut jobs who will twist a simple question.
Thanks for playing, countryroadboy.

They all do, but PJ takes it to a whole new level. It’s one thing to say we’re young but quite another to say we’re youngest team in America or this year now we’re second youngest. Next year will we move up to third youngest?

Well, since you keep asking: One reason could be what almost all coaches do and that is to downplay expectations. But I think people keep underestimating how much of his schtick is aimed at players and not the fans. Getting message across to them that we're young, and we have to work hard or older teams are going to kick our butts. But he's also getting the message to them of look what happened last year when we prepared well and played hard. We keep doing that and we're going to beat some people. A different way of putting a chip on their shoulder. "We'll still show them! The sky is the limit."

Also, maybe future recruits are going to want to get in on this because we're only going to get better.

Have no idea if this is valid. Already wasted too much of my diminishing brain cells on this.

Well, since you keep asking: One reason could be what almost all coaches do and that is to downplay expectations. But I think people keep underestimating how much of his schtick is aimed at players and not the fans. Getting message across to them that we're young, and we have to work hard or older teams are going to kick our butts. But he's also getting the message to them of look what happened last year when we prepared well and played hard. We keep doing that and we're going to beat some people. A different way of putting a chip on their shoulder. "We'll still show them! The sky is the limit."

Also, maybe future recruits are going to want to get in on this because we're only going to get better.

Have no idea if this is valid. Already wasted too much of my diminishing brain cells on this.

I think your analysis on why coaches may say “we are young” is valid. However, I think one of the questions being raised here is whether it lessens possible impact when “we are young” is replaced with silliness like “2nd youngest team in America”. If us bozos on GH are capable of critical thinking to audit such a claim so are the players and recruits mentioned in your post.

If PJ is promoting how young we are, wouldn't new recruits look to go somewhere that has more graduating?
If a recruit has it down to 2 teams and one is young while the other isn't, his chances of getting on the field earlier would
be with the team that isn't young.

I don't need to know the mathematical formula on how "the youngest" is decided.
I can just take PJ's word for it.

Until it's proven he's misleading people on this topic, I'll believe what he says.

Until it's proven he's misleading people on this topic, I'll believe what he says.

Apparently doesn't take much for some to get all bothered by a simple comment in a long post. LOL

If PJ is promoting how young we are, wouldn't new recruits look to go somewhere that has more graduating?
If a recruit has it down to 2 teams and one is young while the other isn't, his chances of getting on the field earlier would
be with the team that isn't young.

Maybe, but if the team is young & the prospect is very talented then he may think he has a chance to move up quickly and displace a player that is not catching on fast or that he is just better than. I think you've all seen that happen. A good/great team with a lot of Sophomores & Juniors may mean he follows for a long time and doesn't get much playing time until he is a junior. I’ve seen it both ways.

I like your stance on young players. How hard will the players work to overcome their young won new positions vs an older team with more experience?

What if I could prove he has misled people on topics such as pay, Senior count, and scholarship player numbers?

Where’s spoofin? Fleck said we won 4 of our last 5.

I just took the time to listen to the interview. I thought for sure SON was teasing, but sure enough - PJ said we won 4 of our last 5 games. Just like Coyle said on the BTN broadcast.

Of course this is 100% false and both PJ and MC know it. Unless we think they both just made the same honest mistake. Can’t expect PJ to know this, right? Who cares, right? They don’t lie, right?

I just took the time to listen to the interview. I thought for sure SON was teasing, but sure enough - PJ said we won 4 of our last 5 games. Just like Coyle said on the BTN broadcast.

Of course this is 100% false and both PJ and MC know it. Unless we think they both just made the same honest mistake. Can’t expect PJ to know this, right? Who cares, right? They don’t lie, right?

Maybe he is including the Spring game......

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Decyphering coachspeak is something we all should have figured out by the time we were old enough to vote. If we're middle-aged men and we still let it bother us there is no hope.

Coachspeak includes saying a lot but nothing at all,and/or socially smoothing behavior, ie a lot of gratuitious compliments that aren’t even close to how they really feel - meant to avoid controversy, promote sportsmanship; socially acceptable ways of being a gracious and good winner and avoidance of being a sore loser. It’s not misstating number of wins, etc unless I missed something and I’ve been around awhile. Did Bud Grant ever say he won games he didn’t?

Decyphering coachspeak is something we all should have figured out by the time we were old enough to vote. If we're middle-aged men and we still let it bother us there is no hope.

TRUE

Since when is stating an absolute falsehood meant to deceive considered coach speak? It is, per Webster, a flat out lie. I was bashed after the BTN broadcast for not understanding it was simply Coyle misspeaking. What a joke. Apologies are being accepted.

Coachspeak includes saying a lot but nothing at all,and/or socially smoothing behavior, ie a lot of gratuitious compliments that aren’t even close to how they really feel - meant to avoid controversy, promote sportsmanship; socially acceptable ways of being a gracious and good winner and avoidance of being a sore loser. It’s not misstating number of wins, etc unless I missed something and I’ve been around awhile. Did Bud Grant ever say he won games he didn’t?

My, much better than spoofin could come up with.

Top Bottom