Shooter: After Oct. 15, Gophers may elect to “utilize” the north sideline of sideline

There are going to be some angrily-worded letters from STHs

A good fan will understand that it is wise to do what is best for the team and gives them the best chance to win.

Then those people need to get a life. If it’s a sunny day the difference in temp is 10-15 degrees. It’s s big difference and the STHs in the shady side should care more about what’s best for the team.

They shouldn't. was in our ticket renewal

New for 2019
Starting with the 2019 season, the Gopher football team may elect to utilize the north sideline for games after Oct. 15th

With a link to additional info

Starting with the 2019 season, the Gopher football team may elect to utilize the north sideline for games after Oct. 15th. What this means:

For the 2019 season, this could impact three games as Minnesota hosts Maryland (Oct. 26), Penn State (Nov. 9) and Wisconsin (Nov. 30)
A potential sideline change would only occur for games scheduled to take place during the day, night games will not be affected.
Minnesota will announce which sideline the team will use for these games either one week prior to the game or when kickoff time is finalized (if determined later than one week prior to the game).

New for 2019
Starting with the 2019 season, the Gopher football team may elect to utilize the north sideline for games after Oct. 15th

Starting with the 2019 season, the Gopher football team may elect to utilize the north sideline for games after Oct. 15th. What this means:

For the 2019 season, this could impact three games as Minnesota hosts Maryland (Oct. 26), Penn State (Nov. 9) and Wisconsin (Nov. 30)
A potential sideline change would only occur for games scheduled to take place during the day, night games will not be affected.
Minnesota will announce which sideline the team will use for these games either one week prior to the game or when kickoff time is finalized (if determined later than one week prior to the game).

And really, what difference does it make? You get to see the back of the home players jumping up and down or the front of them? Want the same view as TV? Like to see the home team's injured players? I don't get it.

And really, what difference does it make? You get to see the back of the home players jumping up and down or the front of them? Want the same view as TV? Like to see the home team's injured players? I don't get it.

I mean I get it. I'd rather be 5 yards from the Gopher bench than 50. Not sure if it's the same on the current home side but I usually have a fair amount of visiting fans by me (could be an overall attendance issue though). But the benefits of the sunny side still prevail for me.

It's embarrassing sitting on the sunny side and looking at the thousands of empty seats behind the Gopher's bench.

STH should know about the change

New for 2019

And how many folks actually carefully read the information the U of M sends them?

Why would a season ticket holder care which side the kids and staff stand on during a game? Isn't having best seats and being near people with common interest the important thing? Someone with season tickets please enlighten me.

Why would a season ticket holder care which side the kids and staff stand on during a game? Isn't having best seats and being near people with common interest the important thing? Someone with season tickets please enlighten me.

We are on the home side and I like watching the interaction of the players and coaches. I can also see what is going on with injured players.

We are on the home side and I like watching the interaction of the players and coaches. I can also see what is going on with injured players.
Thank you for sharing. This is the type of thing I was wondering about. I don't think that would be my interest, but I can certainly see your point.

A little off subject, but does anyone remember why they didnt align the stadium/field north/south, like most fields? Was just due to the space at the site? That way, you dont really have a "sunny" side.

A little off subject, but does anyone remember why they didnt align the stadium/field north/south, like most fields? Was just due to the space at the site? That way, you dont really have a "sunny" side.

Maybe to avoid having the sun in the eyes of receivers/returners for half the game?

If I remember correctly, the architect proposed it that way to get a great view of the downtown skyline. Only reason that I know of.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

How is Fleck going to hear my play calling advice if I don't sit behind the Gophers bench?

per Shooter:

By the way, the university says that after Oct. 15, the Gophers may elect to “utilize” the north sideline of the stadium for games against Maryland, Penn State and Wisconsin if those games are scheduled during the day rather than evening.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/04/27/charley-walters-kyle-rudolph-days-with-vikings-numbered/

Go Gophers!!

I can't see this being an advantage very often. After October 15, especially in November, due to daylight savings time any kickoff after 4:00 PM will be a game played mostly in low sun angle or night conditions. Even 2:30 kickoffs involve mostly low sun angle for most of first half and night conditions in the second half.

So, for the sideline shift to be an actual advantage, it would have to be an 11:00 AM kick off, with very cold temperatures, with a cloudless sky. There have been games like that in the 10 year history of the stadium, but not a whole lot.

But, I predict they find a way to make this sideline swap more often than they need to. For example, look at the weather early in the week, see cold temps predicted, make the switch, and then it is full cloud cover on game day. Or, same thing, switch sidelines and get barely a quarter of the game to benefit from it due to a 2:30 start time.

I don't have a problem with the way they are going about this because there are rare situations where it makes a difference but when it happens - it is a BIG difference.

Same situation in reverse. Those 11:00 AM or 2:30 kickoffs in September can be unbearably hot on the visitor side. The Miami game from this past season was a perfect example. Very few people left to gut it out on the sunny side by the third quarter.

How is Fleck going to hear my play calling advice if I don't sit behind the Gophers bench?

Hold up posters like some teams do. Added bonus will be having to meet with the staff to give them the code each week. :)
Placard.jpg

Buy a season ticket and find out.

If I remember correctly, the architect proposed it that way to get a great view of the downtown skyline. Only reason that I know of.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It's a great view from the home side, really makes it feel more a part of campus and the city that way.

The TV cameras can't help but put that view on TV multiple times a game.

It's a great view from the home side, really makes it feel more a part of campus and the city that way.

The TV cameras can't help but put that view on TV multiple times a game.
I loved the view from 208 back when I had my season tickets. Could see the city and the campus. Liked being in the sun. Didn't care about the bench. It never occurred to me to watch the bench.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom