Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Goldteam View Post
    Tons of others have spent the same on qb and aren't doing this.

Rick trades every single year.
    I feel like he goes into each draft with a list of players he wants to take at every spot. If none of those players are available then he just drops back rounds and doubles up on picks.
    I would rather have him do that then force picks, but taking like 7 players in the last round makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
    I feel like he goes into each draft with a list of players he wants to take at every spot. If none of those players are available then he just drops back rounds and doubles up on picks.
    I would rather have him do that then force picks, but taking like 7 players in the last round makes no sense.
    I like his draft strategy as long as it hasn't caused them to miss on guys they really wanted. Only the people in the draft room know that, I suppose. Otherwise, it's great to have so many chances to get a couple gems.

Quote Originally Posted by fmlizard View Post
    I like his draft strategy as long as it hasn't caused them to miss on guys they really wanted. Only the people in the draft room know that, I suppose. Otherwise, it's great to have so many chances to get a couple gems.
    Odds they've missed.......I'd say 100%

From 2013 - 2018 we've had 26 picks in the 6th and 7th round.

What do we have to show for it? Stephen Weatherly(backup and marginal DE, and starting TE, David Morgan, who is a dime a dozen) That's it with 26 picks.

Had we stayed where we were, could we top Morgan and Weatherly? Granted I know we are moving down like 10 or 20 picks, but it's obviously not working. LMAO

I'd bet this weeks paycheck by the way that they were planning to take Cashman and got plucked, because, well you know.........7th round picks are gold.
    Last edited by Goldteam; 04-27-2019 at 01:37 PM.

Good luck Blake!

Quote Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
    Hahahaha maybe they're going to use them all on kickers and end that issue once and for all.
    LOL.

Congrats to Blake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

I'm predicting the Vikings take Tyree Jackson with one of these 6th round picks. Take a flyer on a big kid and see what he can do...
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala

Blog Entries

It is much easier to sign more late round players and stay under the salary cap. That's fine and dandy given they found hidden gems.
    Last edited by hungan1; 04-27-2019 at 01:50 PM.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Quote Originally Posted by hungan1 View Post
    It is much easier to sign more late round players and stay under the salary cap. That's fine and dandy given they found hidden gems.
    It's also much easier to find starters picking earlier. At least, I think I have that right.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldteam View Post
    It's also much easier to find starters picking earlier. At least, I think I have that right.
    Roughly 1/3 of first rounders, 1/6 2nd rounders, 1/10 third, 1/20 fourth, and so on hang through their first contract IIRC. Someone feel free to correct. There are no guarantees on individual players just like in college recruiting. It’s an odd game.

Here's analysis (CBS) on the Cashman pick:

Cashman isn't flashy. He's just always around the ball and knows how to beat blocks to get there against the run. He's a reliable zone coverage linebacker who reads routes quickly and reacts. Tested better than what he shows on the field but someone bound to outplay his draft position.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoRedux View Post
    Cashman isn't flashy. He's just always around the ball and knows how to beat blocks to get there against the run. He's a reliable zone coverage linebacker who reads routes quickly and reacts. Tested better than what he shows on the field but someone bound to outplay his draft position.
    He's either going to outplay his draft position or not play at all so that's a pretty easy call to make.

per Shooter:

Blake Cashman, a fifth-round pick of the New York Jets on Saturday, can expect a $12.9 million, four-year deal, including a $305,000 signing bonus. The ex-Eden Prairie linebacker began his Gophers career as a walk-on.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/04/2...ings-numbered/

Go Gophers!!

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    per Shooter:

Blake Cashman, a fifth-round pick of the New York Jets on Saturday, can expect a $12.9 million, four-year deal, including a $305,000 signing bonus. The ex-Eden Prairie linebacker began his Gophers career as a walk-on.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/04/2...ings-numbered/

Go Gophers!!
    That's some good coin.

Went over to see what jets fans were saying on Gang Green and the tone and discourse reminded me of how irritating, unthinking, and impolite New Yorkers (or “real”) can be. Their analysis amounted to reading Zeirlein’s profile and seeing he was a white walk on.

Currently, sounds like their top 3 are pretty solidly entrenched but at least one is in a contract year in 2019 and is likely to be cut loose. Cashman is going to have to win the fans favor. Special teamer this year and fight for more time in 2020.

Like I said in the other Cashman thread, I think he was a third-day guy because scouts look past eye-popping combine results in a lot of cases. Cashman is a good player and I think he has a higher ceiling than fellow-EPer Connelly, but a lot of that is going to depend on scheme. Should be a dynamite special teams guy right out of the gate.