Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Blake Cashman selected in the fifth round by the New York Jets

Former Gophers linebacker Blake Cashman was selected in the fifth round (No. 157) of the 2019 NFL Draft by the New York Jets.

In 2018, Cashman led the team with 104 tackles (62 solo), 2.5 sacks and 15 tackles for loss. He also forced a fumble and tallied one defensive touchdown. The young linebacker flashed his versatility and displayed productivity as a blitzer. As a sophomore, he consistently put up big numbers and the former walk-on earned a scholarship prior to his junior season.

During March’s NFL Scouting Combine, Cashman turned the heads of scouts and significantly improved his draft stock. He posted a 4.51 40-yard dash, a 37.5-inch vertical and a 10'4" broad jump. His RAS metrics resulted in a 9.55 output, which was above average at his position group. He notched just 18 bench press reps, but felt the number showed scouts there were no lingering issues regarding past shoulder injuries.

Cashman gained momentum during the draft process, but slid down the board further than many anticipated. He will now acclimate into the Jets’ 3-4 defensive scheme and can move around the system as a versatile pass rusher. Cashman is someone that fits well with Gregg Williams’ defensive scheme.

Congrats to Blake!!!

...but screw the Jets. The Vikings were there 2 picks later and immediately traded out of the slot after Blake was picked. So close to seeing him in purple I think.

Obviously, Vikings were going to take him with next pick, which they quickly traded to the Pats. Too bad.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

That's okay. He can season a year or two playing for the Jets and come over in free agency. Like every other good player that has played for the Jets...
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala

Great for him! Here’s to hoping he wins playing time right away. He’ll represent the U of M well.
    "A lot of guys look good running around in underwear." - 414GopherFan

Yay Blake! Hope he does well!

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    Obviously, Vikings were going to take him with next pick, which they quickly traded to the Pats. Too bad.
    Yup, they just took an ILB.
    Also, Mel Kiper is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    Is that what Rick Spielman disclosed?

Quote Originally Posted by saintpauljeff View Post
    Is that what Rick Spielman disclosed?
    I believe it’s just speculation based on the Vikings moving their pick right after he was selected.
    "A lot of guys look good running around in underwear." - 414GopherFan

Quote Originally Posted by Jeshurun View Post
    I believe it’s just speculation based on the Vikings moving their pick right after he was selected.
    Pure speculation. They also ended up with a guy at the same position as Blake. I like to think they were targeting Blake instead, but we'll probably never know.

Quote Originally Posted by fmlizard View Post
    Pure speculation. They also ended up with a guy at the same position as Blake. I like to think they were targeting Blake instead, but we'll probably never know.
    rick has accumulated 7, 7th round picks.

The guy is f----g moron!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldteam View Post

The guy is f----g moron!
    Hahahaha maybe they're going to use them all on kickers and end that issue once and for all.

The guy is f----g moron!
    When the Vikes spent so much on Cousins now they have to hire temps to fill out the squad.

The guy is f----g moron!
    Not necessarily they will allow him to draft players in areas that will be thin in UDFA market. The net difference in cost will be negligible and insure that you secure players in those areas of need.

Quote Originally Posted by fmlizard View Post
    When the Vikes spent so much on Cousins now they have to hire temps to fill out the squad.
    Tons of others have spent the same on qb and aren't doing this.

Rick trades every single year.