Blake Cashman selected in the fifth round by the New York Jets

per Shooter:

Blake Cashman, a fifth-round pick of the New York Jets on Saturday, can expect a $12.9 million, four-year deal, including a $305,000 signing bonus. The ex-Eden Prairie linebacker began his Gophers career as a walk-on.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/04/27/charley-walters-kyle-rudolph-days-with-vikings-numbered/

Go Gophers!!

That can't be right, it's way too high for a 5th round pick, especially when immediately above it Shooter details the expected contract terms for the Vikings' first rounder:

"Garrett Bradbury, as the 18th overall pick by the Vikings, can expect a four-year contract in the $12 million range."

So a player selected 157th has an expected contact that's larger than the 18th overall pick? No chance.

That can't be right, it's way too high for a 5th round pick, especially when immediately above it Shooter details the expected contract terms for the Vikings' first rounder:

"Garrett Bradbury, as the 18th overall pick by the Vikings, can expect a four-year contract in the $12 million range."

So a player selected 157th has an expected contact that's larger than the 18th overall pick? No chance.

The bonus is probably right, but I think it's a $2.9M, 4 year deal. Still some solid coin, for sure.

Here's a good source on that sort of thing: https://heavy.com/sports/2019/04/nfl-draft-pick-salaries-contracts-signing-bonuses/

I've always been a huge J-E-T-S fan. Excited I get to watch cashman every week

So Money! Cashman Signs With Jets

The New York Jets announced today that they have signed former Minnesota linebacker Blake Cashman. The Jets selected the former Gopher star in the fifth round of the 2019 NFL Draft with the 157th overall pick.

Cashman is the first Gopher to become a Jet since Gopher legend Eric Decker suited up for the Green and White. Cashman is the first Gopher to be drafted by the Jets since defensive back Kerry Glenn was selected in the tenth round with the 262nd overall pick in 1985.

Cashman, who is from Eden Prairie, Minn., will graduate May 20 with a degree in Marketing. He played in 48 career games for Minnesota and totaled 183 tackles (116 solo), which included 31.0 tackles for loss (tied for seventh in school history) and 12 sacks (tied for 12th in school history). He started his career as a walk-on, but then received a scholarship from head coach P.J. Fleck prior to his junior season.

He started 11 of the 12 games he played in as a senior in 2018 and led the Gophers with 104 tackles. Cashman made 15 tackles for loss (tied for ninth in school history for a single season), broke up five passes, forced one fumble and returned it 40 yards for a touchdown.

His senior season was highlighted by making four tackles for loss against New Mexico State (tied a TCF Bank Stadium record), a 40-yard fumble return for a touchdown against Purdue and 20 tackles (TCF Bank Stadium for a Gopher) against Northwestern. For his efforts, he was named All-Big Ten Second Team by the media and All-Big Ten Third Team by the league coaches.

Cashman was also named the 2016 Holiday Bowl Defensive Most Valuable Player after making 12 tackles, two tackles for loss and one sack in a win against Washington State. He received the team's Gary Tinsley Award, which is presented to a player who best embodied the underdog spirit of the late former Gopher Gary Tinsley in 2016 and 2017. He was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week twice in his career and both times came after playing Northwestern in 2018 and in 2016. In 2018, he totaled a career high tackles against Northwestern and added a pass breakup, a sack and 2.5 tackles for loss. In 2016, Cashman made 10 tackles, notched two sacks and forced one fumble against Northwestern.

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/5/10/football-hes-so-money-cashman-signs-with-jets.aspx

Like I said in the other Cashman thread, I think he was a third-day guy because scouts look past eye-popping combine results in a lot of cases. Cashman is a good player and I think he has a higher ceiling than fellow-EPer Connelly, but a lot of that is going to depend on scheme. Should be a dynamite special teams guy right out of the gate.

Agree with this.

Top Bottom