Blake Cashman selected in the fifth round by the New York Jets

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Former Gophers linebacker Blake Cashman was selected in the fifth round (No. 157) of the 2019 NFL Draft by the New York Jets.

In 2018, Cashman led the team with 104 tackles (62 solo), 2.5 sacks and 15 tackles for loss. He also forced a fumble and tallied one defensive touchdown. The young linebacker flashed his versatility and displayed productivity as a blitzer. As a sophomore, he consistently put up big numbers and the former walk-on earned a scholarship prior to his junior season.

During March’s NFL Scouting Combine, Cashman turned the heads of scouts and significantly improved his draft stock. He posted a 4.51 40-yard dash, a 37.5-inch vertical and a 10'4" broad jump. His RAS metrics resulted in a 9.55 output, which was above average at his position group. He notched just 18 bench press reps, but felt the number showed scouts there were no lingering issues regarding past shoulder injuries.

Cashman gained momentum during the draft process, but slid down the board further than many anticipated. He will now acclimate into the Jets’ 3-4 defensive scheme and can move around the system as a versatile pass rusher. Cashman is someone that fits well with Gregg Williams’ defensive scheme.

Congrats to Blake!!!

...but screw the Jets. The Vikings were there 2 picks later and immediately traded out of the slot after Blake was picked. So close to seeing him in purple I think.

Obviously, Vikings were going to take him with next pick, which they quickly traded to the Pats. Too bad.

That's okay. He can season a year or two playing for the Jets and come over in free agency. Like every other good player that has played for the Jets...

Great for him! Here’s to hoping he wins playing time right away. He’ll represent the U of M well.

I believe it’s just speculation based on the Vikings moving their pick right after he was selected.

Pure speculation. They also ended up with a guy at the same position as Blake. I like to think they were targeting Blake instead, but we'll probably never know.

Pure speculation. They also ended up with a guy at the same position as Blake. I like to think they were targeting Blake instead, but we'll probably never know.

rick has accumulated 7, 7th round picks.

The guy is f----g moron!

rick has accumulated 7, 7th round picks.

The guy is f----g moron!
Not necessarily they will allow him to draft players in areas that will be thin in UDFA market. The net difference in cost will be negligible and insure that you secure players in those areas of need.

When the Vikes spent so much on Cousins now they have to hire temps to fill out the squad.

Tons of others have spent the same on qb and aren't doing this.

Rick trades every single year.

Tons of others have spent the same on qb and aren't doing this.

Rick trades every single year.

I feel like he goes into each draft with a list of players he wants to take at every spot. If none of those players are available then he just drops back rounds and doubles up on picks.
I would rather have him do that then force picks, but taking like 7 players in the last round makes no sense.

I feel like he goes into each draft with a list of players he wants to take at every spot. If none of those players are available then he just drops back rounds and doubles up on picks.
I would rather have him do that then force picks, but taking like 7 players in the last round makes no sense.

I like his draft strategy as long as it hasn't caused them to miss on guys they really wanted. Only the people in the draft room know that, I suppose. Otherwise, it's great to have so many chances to get a couple gems.

I like his draft strategy as long as it hasn't caused them to miss on guys they really wanted. Only the people in the draft room know that, I suppose. Otherwise, it's great to have so many chances to get a couple gems.

Odds they've missed.......I'd say 100%

From 2013 - 2018 we've had 26 picks in the 6th and 7th round.

What do we have to show for it? Stephen Weatherly(backup and marginal DE, and starting TE, David Morgan, who is a dime a dozen) That's it with 26 picks.

Had we stayed where we were, could we top Morgan and Weatherly? Granted I know we are moving down like 10 or 20 picks, but it's obviously not working. LMAO

I'd bet this weeks paycheck by the way that they were planning to take Cashman and got plucked, because, well you know.........7th round picks are gold.

Last edited:

I'm predicting the Vikings take Tyree Jackson with one of these 6th round picks. Take a flyer on a big kid and see what he can do...

It is much easier to sign more late round players and stay under the salary cap. That's fine and dandy given they found hidden gems.

Last edited:

It is much easier to sign more late round players and stay under the salary cap. That's fine and dandy given they found hidden gems.

It's also much easier to find starters picking earlier. At least, I think I have that right.

It's also much easier to find starters picking earlier. At least, I think I have that right.

Roughly 1/3 of first rounders, 1/6 2nd rounders, 1/10 third, 1/20 fourth, and so on hang through their first contract IIRC. Someone feel free to correct. There are no guarantees on individual players just like in college recruiting. It’s an odd game.

Here's analysis (CBS) on the Cashman pick:

Cashman isn't flashy. He's just always around the ball and knows how to beat blocks to get there against the run. He's a reliable zone coverage linebacker who reads routes quickly and reacts. Tested better than what he shows on the field but someone bound to outplay his draft position.

Cashman isn't flashy. He's just always around the ball and knows how to beat blocks to get there against the run. He's a reliable zone coverage linebacker who reads routes quickly and reacts. Tested better than what he shows on the field but someone bound to outplay his draft position.

He's either going to outplay his draft position or not play at all so that's a pretty easy call to make.

Went over to see what jets fans were saying on Gang Green and the tone and discourse reminded me of how irritating, unthinking, and impolite New Yorkers (or “real”) can be. Their analysis amounted to reading Zeirlein’s profile and seeing he was a white walk on.

Currently, sounds like their top 3 are pretty solidly entrenched but at least one is in a contract year in 2019 and is likely to be cut loose. Cashman is going to have to win the fans favor. Special teamer this year and fight for more time in 2020.

Like I said in the other Cashman thread, I think he was a third-day guy because scouts look past eye-popping combine results in a lot of cases. Cashman is a good player and I think he has a higher ceiling than fellow-EPer Connelly, but a lot of that is going to depend on scheme. Should be a dynamite special teams guy right out of the gate.

Top Bottom