Beat a team that finished in Top 25 for first time this century

WinLoseOrTy

Reaction score
At first I was like....that can't be right? But then I couldn't find an example besides last season's Fresno State win.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Kind of a weird think to brag about. "Look what we did for the first time in 18 years"!

If I'm designing that tweet I leave that out.

Kind of a weird think to brag about. "Look what we did for the first time in 18 years"!

Yeah, that might have been a positive if it was say 2003 or 2004. 2018 notsomuch. Also depressing that I have been a season ticket holder, since 1999.

I went back and looked at 1999 and they did beat Penn St & Illinois who were both ranked, but on the road. Thus in my 20 seasons, the Fresno St game stands alone.

Thank you Antoine Winfield Jr, sincerely.

Last edited:

Its the coaching staff highlighting they have done in 2 seasons what hasn't been done this century. If this was Gopher football account, then I would see how it could be odd to point out.

Its the coaching staff highlighting they have done in 2 seasons what hasn't been done this century. If this was Gopher football account, then I would see how it could be odd to point out.

When was the last time Gophs had back to back blowout shut-out losses?

When was the last time Gophs had back to back blowout shut-out losses?

In 2011, Kill's 1st season, they lost to NDSU by 13 at home and then to Michigan 58-0. NDSU wasn't a shutout, but those are two pretty humbling back-to-back games...

Every day, no one tries harder (except maybe Spoofin and PE) to disparage the current coaching staff. What glory years are you remembering? Why is it so hard to give the staff some credit for beating a team that finished in the top 25 for the first time in 20 years? That's a pretty specific accomplishment, unlike "back-to-back blowout shutout losses"...

True and people know that. Trying to let people know that there has been changes and the Gopher program is on the rise. I don't see anything wrong with that. He is attempting to change the outlook that both fans and players have of the Gopher program. To me this is a good thing as opposed to looking at the negative all the time.

True and people know that. Trying to let people know that there has been changes and the Gopher program is on the rise. I don't see anything wrong with that. He is attempting to change the outlook that both fans and players have of the Gopher program. To me this is a good thing as opposed to looking at the negative all the time.

I did not know about it, and as I said previously now that I do...it bums me out. Even more so that it was against a Mtn West team instead of a Big 10 foe.

In 2011, Kill's 1st season, they lost to NDSU by 13 at home and then to Michigan 58-0. NDSU wasn't a shutout, but those are two pretty humbling back-to-back games...

Every day, no one tries harder (except maybe Spoofin and PE) to disparage the current coaching staff. What glory years are you remembering? Why is it so hard to give the staff some credit for beating a team that finished in the top 25 for the first time in 20 years? That's a pretty specific accomplishment, unlike "back-to-back blowout shutout losses"...

I do not, but you are certainly entitled to that opinion. I absolutely have been critical, but have praised Fleck many times. It isn't hard to give credit, but it certainly is self aggrandizing, which is off-putting to me, given the team's overall onfield performance over the past two years.

In 2011, Kill's 1st season, they lost to NDSU by 13 at home and then to Michigan 58-0. <b>NDSU wasn't a shutout, </b>but those are two pretty humbling back-to-back games...

So your example of 2 straight blow-out shutouts included 1 game that wasn’t a shutout. Good thing you don’t try hard to disparage coaching staffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "best back to back recruiting classes in school history" statement is a blatant lie. They just can't help themselves. Marketing the program is great, but be honest. It's not difficult.

We beat Purdue at the Dome when they were in the top 10.

But then they crashed and burned.

The "best back to back recruiting classes in school history" statement is a blatant lie. They just can't help themselves. Marketing the program is great, but be honest. It's not difficult.

It's almost like claiming to have the world's best cup of coffee.

Seems like in the past if we beat a top 25 team, the coach of that "then top 25" team would get fired at the end of the year.

Whomever created this graphic/fact set must be an amazing resume writer.

I’d bet a substantial sum that 98% of recruits have no idea of recent MN football history. Saying anything that says hey, we don’t suck anymore! strikes me as a curious marketing move but YMMV. My herpes has cleared up! isn’t something I’d mention right away on a date but YMMV.

MN has beat at least a ranked teams during the season which is usually how that goes down in the record books, ie we defeated a ranked Nebraska in 2013 IIRC. It’s hard to end up in the top 25 if one belongs to a power 5 league. It’s less hard, depending on OOC schedule, at a G5. 2016 WMU, for example.

Agree with you.

I took a quick look at the 24/7 national rankings since 1999 and the best back-to-back years were 2008-2009 with an average national ranking of 30.5 (26 in 2008 and 35 in 2009) compared to the 2018-2019 average ranking of 40.5 (38 in 2018 and 43 in 2019).

However, the "Average Rating" for the 2018-2019 period was the highest ever for Minnesota at 0.8601. I'm pretty sure if they want to justify it they can point to a metric that fits the narrative.

Yeah, that might have been a positive if it was say 2003 or 2004. 2018 notsomuch. Also depressing that I have been a season ticket holder, since 1999.

Funny you bought up 1999. In that year GSU won its 3rd FCS National Championship. We were the first team in 100 years to go 15-0. GOOD TIMES!

It doesn't change the actual statement, but to be fair, "Top 25" is highlighted as it is surrounded by words of the smallest font on the entire graphic. Maybe they are hoping that people will only notice "Top 25" with a quick glance.

They don’t say anything about rankings.
If we threepeat national titles the next three years it certainly would make them the best back to back classes of all time

“Winningest First Year Coach Since 1954”

That’s one way to spin a season you were 5-7 and won 4-games fewer than the team did the year before. Overstatement on success here - lie about recruiting there - yada yada yada. Time to defend more nonsense.

So people are now complaining that we beat a team that finished in the top 25 for the first time this century??

“Winningest First Year Coach Since 1954”

That’s one way to spin a season you were 5-7 and won 4-games fewer than the team did the year before. Overstatement on success here - lie about recruiting there - yada yada yada. Time to defend more nonsense.

Just for you

I'm just glad you didn't play against FCS GSU during the Erk and PJ era. It would have been sad.

So people are now complaining that we beat a team that finished in the top 25 for the first time this century??

Curious - Do you think beating Fresno State was the best win the Gopher FB Team has had this Century? Would you put it in the top 10 or even 20?

Curious - Do you think beating Fresno State was the best win the Gopher FB Team has had this Century? Would you put it in the top 10 or even 20?

That’s actually a good offseason thread.

At the time of the win neither.
In retrospect after the season, still not top 10...I’d have to look back at old schedules to think about 20.

Top 10? Yes. If you disagree, name 10 that are better. The only ones that are better are likely rivalry games vs Iowa, Wisconsin, or vs Nebraska. There's also OSU in 2000, but those were all mediocre teams we beat. 2018 Fresno St could have beaten any of them.

Wow. We've had some pretty good things happen in the last year or so as to improvements. People certainty jump at the opportunity to get negative. True positive Gopher fans on this thread?

Wow. We've had some pretty good things happen in the last year or so as to improvements. People certainty jump at the opportunity to get negative. True positive Gopher fans on this thread?

I think most who post here are true Gopher fans. Nasty at times, but, for the common good.

Top Bottom