Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 88
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bracketville, MN
    Posts
    21,531
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Weekly Offseason Projection of the B1G Standings: Gophers Start at #10

    This is the second week, will continue through the summer. Obviously, there won't be a ton of movement each week, but (stuff) will happen in the offseason (injuries, transfers, freshman/grad-transfer additions, NBA departures, off-court transgressions, etc.) that impacts the outlook of a team.

    For those not familiar with Twitter, click on the tweet and you can read what others have to say.


    Last edited by SelectionSunday; 04-26-2019 at 11:52 AM.


  2. #2

    Default

    This is the Gophers with no Coffey I guess.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bracketville, MN
    Posts
    21,531
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    This is the Gophers with no Coffey I guess.
    With.

  4. #4

    Default

    I assume this is also based on the roster as it stands today, meaning our starting PF is either a questionably healthy Eric Curry, a raw Jarvis Omersa, or a true freshman Isaiah Ihnen, and there is no presumed grad transfer coming in. I think the rest of our starting lineup, Carr, Kalscheur, Coffey, Oturu, looks pretty good. But I can understand that, as of today, the 4 spot is questionable, and we don’t have much for ballhandlers behind Carr.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bracketville, MN
    Posts
    21,531
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cayman View Post
    I assume this is also based on the roster as it stands today, meaning our starting PF is either a questionably healthy Eric Curry, a raw Jarvis Omersa, or a true freshman Isaiah Ihnen, and there is no presumed grad transfer coming in. I think the rest of our starting lineup, Carr, Kalscheur, Coffey, Oturu, looks pretty good. But I can understand that, as of today, the 4 spot is questionable, and we don’t have much for ballhandlers behind Carr.
    Yes, as the roster stands today, and assuming Coffey returns. Among others, have also made roster assumptions for Maryland (Fernando not returning), Nebraska (Roby returns), Ohio State (Wesson returns), and Penn State (Stevens returns).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Fargo
    Posts
    842

    Default

    First, I think you have the gophers right. There is a lot of optimism right now which is good, but I think it will be hard for them to replicate what they did last season. Second, the Big Ten is going to be very good again next year.

  7. #7

    Default

    If Purdue finishes 3rd next year, Painter deserves a lifetime contract. I just don't know who scores on that team next year. Eastern is a nice player, but he can't shoot outside of a FT. Hunter didn't show a whole lot that makes me think he's going to take the next step. Haarms is a nice player, but can you build around him? He has benefited by having some really good players around him. I do really like Wheeler, but he's not much of a shooter/scorer. I don't know much about who they bring in, they got a grad transfer commit not long ago, but there's a lot to replace there in Cline and Edwards

    One team I think could make a bigger jump is Rutgers. I don't know their roster situation, but I thought they returned everyone of importance and they play some great defense. Just need to score more effectively.

    I also think Illinois is going to be in the top 4. Return everyone of importance and they add Kofi Cockburn who was incredibly impressive against Tre Williams' team in the prep tournament.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Fargo
    Posts
    842

    Default

    I look for Iowa to be the sleeper of the league...might be a top 10 team in the nation by the time the year is done.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    6,935

    Default

    Don't understand the Purdue love. I know they overachieved last year, but with Cardenas Edwards they built to do that and everyone else filled it. Eastern, Harms, Williams aren't straws that can stir the drink. I think they'll battle but I see them as a bubble team.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    6,935

    Default

    If I had to guess

    Sparty
    Michigan
    Maryland
    OSU
    Illinois
    Iowa
    Gophs
    Purdue
    Wisconsin
    Penn State
    IU
    Rutgers
    NW
    Nebby

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  11. #11

    Default

    There is no way on this earth that the Badgers are ending up 9th. Just the removal of 2 guys on the floor(Happ & Iverson that couldn't make a shot outside of 5ft is going to allow us to run an offense that will keep us contending. 5 guys on the floor that can step out to the 3pt line is something we have not had since the 2016 final four.
    Iowa is Iowa. They will average 85 ppg and give up 84 ppg. Purdue and Michigan are taking a dive to the middle this year. Its wide open for The Badgers and the Gophs.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bemidjigopher View Post
    Don't understand the Purdue love. I know they overachieved last year, but with Cardenas Edwards they built to do that and everyone else filled it. Eastern, Harms, Williams aren't straws that can stir the drink. I think they'll battle but I see them as a bubble team.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    They lost Cline and Eiffort too. They did get Jahad Proctor from High Point, averaged like 19 a game.

    They feel a lot like the gophers if Coffey doesn't come back. A few solid role players but don't have a star that can carry the team offensively.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    6,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigeddysprings View Post
    There is no way on this earth that the Badgers are ending up 9th. Just the removal of 2 guys on the floor(Happ & Iverson that couldn't make a shot outside of 5ft is going to allow us to run an offense that will keep us contending. 5 guys on the floor that can step out to the 3pt line is something we have not had since the 2016 final four.
    Iowa is Iowa. They will average 85 ppg and give up 84 ppg. Purdue and Michigan are taking a dive to the middle this year. Its wide open for The Badgers and the Gophs.
    You're team isn't very good at shooting. Without Happ to keep the defense honest it'll only allow teams to be more aggressive on the perimeter, and your time protection will be exposed. I'm not high Purdue so you might finish eigth

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigeddysprings View Post
    There is no way on this earth that the Badgers are ending up 9th. Just the removal of 2 guys on the floor(Happ & Iverson that couldn't make a shot outside of 5ft is going to allow us to run an offense that will keep us contending. 5 guys on the floor that can step out to the 3pt line is something we have not had since the 2016 final four.
    Iowa is Iowa. They will average 85 ppg and give up 84 ppg. Purdue and Michigan are taking a dive to the middle this year. Its wide open for The Badgers and the Gophs.
    You might be right. I guess I could see them finishing 10th.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Söze View Post
    You might be right. I guess I could see them finishing 10th.
    Anyone want to wager on UW ? I say they are 7th or better, i win. 8th or worse you win. We have been reporting their demise for 25 years. They will invert their offense and spread the court without Happ. They will be more in a movement of sides instead of watch Happ. The question is where will we finish because 10th would not be acceptable to anyone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •