Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Weekly Offseason Projection of the B1G Standings: Gophers Start at #10

This is the second week, will continue through the summer. Obviously, there won't be a ton of movement each week, but (stuff) will happen in the offseason (injuries, transfers, freshman/grad-transfer additions, NBA departures, off-court transgressions, etc.) that impacts the outlook of a team.

For those not familiar with Twitter, click on the tweet and you can read what others have to say.

Last edited by SelectionSunday; 04-26-2019 at 11:52 AM.

This is the Gophers with no Coffey I guess.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    This is the Gophers with no Coffey I guess.
    With.

I assume this is also based on the roster as it stands today, meaning our starting PF is either a questionably healthy Eric Curry, a raw Jarvis Omersa, or a true freshman Isaiah Ihnen, and there is no presumed grad transfer coming in. I think the rest of our starting lineup, Carr, Kalscheur, Coffey, Oturu, looks pretty good. But I can understand that, as of today, the 4 spot is questionable, and we don’t have much for ballhandlers behind Carr.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cayman View Post
    I assume this is also based on the roster as it stands today, meaning our starting PF is either a questionably healthy Eric Curry, a raw Jarvis Omersa, or a true freshman Isaiah Ihnen, and there is no presumed grad transfer coming in. I think the rest of our starting lineup, Carr, Kalscheur, Coffey, Oturu, looks pretty good. But I can understand that, as of today, the 4 spot is questionable, and we don’t have much for ballhandlers behind Carr.
    Yes, as the roster stands today, and assuming Coffey returns. Among others, have also made roster assumptions for Maryland (Fernando not returning), Nebraska (Roby returns), Ohio State (Wesson returns), and Penn State (Stevens returns).

First, I think you have the gophers right. There is a lot of optimism right now which is good, but I think it will be hard for them to replicate what they did last season. Second, the Big Ten is going to be very good again next year.

If Purdue finishes 3rd next year, Painter deserves a lifetime contract. I just don't know who scores on that team next year. Eastern is a nice player, but he can't shoot outside of a FT. Hunter didn't show a whole lot that makes me think he's going to take the next step. Haarms is a nice player, but can you build around him? He has benefited by having some really good players around him. I do really like Wheeler, but he's not much of a shooter/scorer. I don't know much about who they bring in, they got a grad transfer commit not long ago, but there's a lot to replace there in Cline and Edwards

One team I think could make a bigger jump is Rutgers. I don't know their roster situation, but I thought they returned everyone of importance and they play some great defense. Just need to score more effectively.

I also think Illinois is going to be in the top 4. Return everyone of importance and they add Kofi Cockburn who was incredibly impressive against Tre Williams' team in the prep tournament.

I look for Iowa to be the sleeper of the league...might be a top 10 team in the nation by the time the year is done.

Don't understand the Purdue love. I know they overachieved last year, but with Cardenas Edwards they built to do that and everyone else filled it. Eastern, Harms, Williams aren't straws that can stir the drink. I think they'll battle but I see them as a bubble team.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If I had to guess

Sparty
    Michigan
    Maryland
    OSU
    Illinois
    Iowa
    Gophs
    Purdue
    Wisconsin
    Penn State
    IU
    Rutgers
    NW
    Nebby

There is no way on this earth that the Badgers are ending up 9th. Just the removal of 2 guys on the floor(Happ & Iverson that couldn't make a shot outside of 5ft is going to allow us to run an offense that will keep us contending. 5 guys on the floor that can step out to the 3pt line is something we have not had since the 2016 final four.
    Iowa is Iowa. They will average 85 ppg and give up 84 ppg. Purdue and Michigan are taking a dive to the middle this year. Its wide open for The Badgers and the Gophs.

Quote Originally Posted by bemidjigopher View Post
    Don't understand the Purdue love. I know they overachieved last year, but with Cardenas Edwards they built to do that and everyone else filled it. Eastern, Harms, Williams aren't straws that can stir the drink. I think they'll battle but I see them as a bubble team.

They lost Cline and Eiffort too. They did get Jahad Proctor from High Point, averaged like 19 a game.

They feel a lot like the gophers if Coffey doesn't come back. A few solid role players but don't have a star that can carry the team offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigeddysprings View Post
    There is no way on this earth that the Badgers are ending up 9th. Just the removal of 2 guys on the floor(Happ & Iverson that couldn't make a shot outside of 5ft is going to allow us to run an offense that will keep us contending. 5 guys on the floor that can step out to the 3pt line is something we have not had since the 2016 final four.
    Iowa is Iowa. They will average 85 ppg and give up 84 ppg. Purdue and Michigan are taking a dive to the middle this year. Its wide open for The Badgers and the Gophs.
    You're team isn't very good at shooting. Without Happ to keep the defense honest it'll only allow teams to be more aggressive on the perimeter, and your time protection will be exposed. I'm not high Purdue so you might finish eigth

Quote Originally Posted by Bigeddysprings View Post
    You might be right. I guess I could see them finishing 10th.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Söze View Post
    You might be right. I guess I could see them finishing 10th.
    Anyone want to wager on UW ? I say they are 7th or better, i win. 8th or worse you win. We have been reporting their demise for 25 years. They will invert their offense and spread the court without Happ. They will be more in a movement of sides instead of watch Happ. The question is where will we finish because 10th would not be acceptable to anyone.