Weekly Offseason Projection of the B1G Standings: Gophers Start at #10

Okay- that's reasonable and they will be a really good shooting team. I don't see any physical play or defense there, but we'll see. They will score.

Well, you've pretty much described Iowa throughout McCaffrey's tenure.

Built, I get what you say about how much the little things matter in sports. I am like that in hockey, had a very difficult time watching Lucia teams because they were very weak on the basic fundamentals and effort. That is directly related to coaching.

I will take you up on your bet if we can change it to who finishes higher in the conference. The Gophers finish ahead of the Badgers then I win, if the Badgers finish higher then you win. A conference draw goes to overall record.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You would win that bet. He hired an agent.

Does hiring an agent automatically disqualify them from coming back? I thought the rules changed allowing them to get an agent, but still return. I may be confused, but I know the early entry rules are different this year.

Does hiring an agent automatically disqualify them from coming back? I thought the rules changed allowing them to get an agent, but still return. I may be confused, but I know the early entry rules are different this year.

They are still eligible to return. Coffey hired an agent too.

Built, I get what you say about how much the little things matter in sports. I am like that in hockey, had a very difficult time watching Lucia teams because they were very weak on the basic fundamentals and effort. That is directly related to coaching.

I will take you up on your bet if we can change it to who finishes higher in the conference. The Gophers finish ahead of the Badgers then I win, if the Badgers finish higher then you win. A conference draw goes to overall record.

Great, one qualifier. A draw is a draw as the non conference schedules will not be equal. What would you like to wager ? We can go huge cash, game tickets, dinner, small cash, round of golf at my home course , or your suggestions. It WILL BE FUN. A little extra juice on the season. Keep in mind, i will be cheering for the Gophers.

Great, one qualifier. A draw is a draw as the non conference schedules will not be equal. What would you like to wager ? We can go huge cash, game tickets, dinner, small cash, round of golf at my home course , or your suggestions. It WILL BE FUN. A little extra juice on the season. Keep in mind, i will be cheering for the Gophers.

Ok. How about that round of golf. You can send me a direct message to firm it up

I would cover a round at another course that we can decide upon.

Great. Will be in touch before the end with DM. Until then, all the best with the back and forth !

It has been 4-5 years since Wisconsin recruited a player higher than the Gophers' best in a given class. 2016 Coffey (and Curry), 2017 Washington, 2018 Oturu, 2019 Ihnen (and Williams) all were higher ranked prospects than their counterparts at Wiscy (and Kevin Dorsey/Jarvis Johnson would've made it 5 in a row, but Pritzl's ranking was adjusted late, I think when 247 and Scout merged). I am pretty sure the same can be said for Iowa, or very close to it.

Sooner or later you would think that talent gap would show up on the floor, unless Gard is a miracle worker or Pitino is subpar.

Gophers move up a spot to #9. If you're wondering, currently I'm projecting Coffey returns to the Gophers.

This week's movement:

Michigan +2 (perhaps Iggy comes back?)
Rutgers +2 (Akwasi Yeboah addition)
Illinois +1
Minnesota +1 (Alihan Demir addition)
Wisconsin +1
Indiana -1
Maryland -1 (Bruno Fernando now definitely gone)
Penn State -2 (Rasir Bolton in transfer portal, will he return?)
Iowa -3 (Isaiah Moss will grad transfer, Hawkeyes now down 3 non-senior rotation players from last season)

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Was this before or after we added Demir?

With Demir in the fold to provide insurance against Curry's injuries, and *if* Coffey returns, I would put us at somewhere between 4 and 7. We wouldn't finish 9th unless we lost somebody due to injury or some other issue.

It has been 4-5 years since Wisconsin recruited a player higher than the Gophers' best in a given class. 2016 Coffey (and Curry), 2017 Washington, 2018 Oturu, 2019 Ihnen (and Williams) all were higher ranked prospects than their counterparts at Wiscy (and Kevin Dorsey/Jarvis Johnson would've made it 5 in a row, but Pritzl's ranking was adjusted late, I think when 247 and Scout merged). I am pretty sure the same can be said for Iowa, or very close to it.

Sooner or later you would think that talent gap would show up on the floor, unless Gard is a miracle worker or Pitino is subpar.

Well...that's an interesting list though. Curry has been injured. Washington didn't pan out at this level. Dorsey got booted and Jarvis was never able to play. So while Pitino has been able to out recruit Wisky for years, a lot of those players didn't help. I hope we are turning the corner on that issue. The last class was rated well and performed better. That's what we need.

Davison and Reuvers were both top 75. Kobe King was a top 50 recruit before he was injured and fell off. Also besides Washington, Jamir Harris was in the 290's, can't just go off one player. As for Iowa wisecamp, and the McCaffrey boys were all highly rated. You could also Argo Mason, and Murphy were are two most important recruits as well

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

5/10 B1G Friday Offseason Rankings: Gophers up a spot to #8

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I've been thinking about it and if we get Coffey back I really like this team. I think I've been overestimating illinois they weren't that good down the stretch. I feel like IU will be better as well than I thought. Also have no clue what to make of Nebby

I've been thinking about it and if we get Coffey back I really like this team. I think I've been overestimating illinois they weren't that good down the stretch. I feel like IU will be better as well than I thought. Also have no clue what to make of Nebby

I think Illinois makes a huge jump. Maybe not to top four, but they are going to be pretty good. Excellent nucleus coming back, and a great recruiting class including a late five star addition, along with their painful "rock fight" style, and they will be a lot better.

I think Illinois makes a huge jump. Maybe not to top four, but they are going to be pretty good. Excellent nucleus coming back, and a great recruiting class including a late five star addition, along with their painful "rock fight" style, and they will be a lot better.
I don't doubt they'll be better I had them hanging around top four area, but I am not sold the jump will be that great after thinking about it more, they didn't play well in February and I know Iowa is sliding, Wisconsin depth is iffy, but if we get Coffey back and Penn State keeps Lamar Stevens, Purdue is a wild card, they could be good if some guys in the backcourt step up. IU was playing well at the end of the year with minimal help from Romeo. I think the Illini will be in that 6th-9th range, still good enough to get to the dance

Wisconsin has finished in the top four in 17 of the last 18 B1G seasons. I think if they get there this year it will quiet some of the Gard is no Bo Ryan people. If they don't make it. Badgerfans will be restless but it still is not the end of Gard. It will become tenuous though. If Coffey comes back for the Gophers I thing they will be really tough. He's a real difference maker. Good nucleus returning and they should all be better, I think Gabe Kaleschuer will make a big jump and Oturu will be a huge surprise to many in the B1G. He good!

May 24 B1G Friday B1G Offseason Standings Projection: Gophers up to #6

Is this with Coffey back yet SS?

Is this with Coffey back yet SS?

All Gopher projections to this point are assuming he returns. Next Friday the projections could like quite a bit different depending on the decisions of Coffey, Wesson, and Stevens. Also waiting to hear whether Rasir Bolton stays at Penn State. He was a nice freshman for the Nittany Lions last season.

Updated B1G Friday Offseason Standings Projection

For the first time, I projected every conference game, so several changes this time around. There were several ties in the standings (Michigan-Wisconsin, Rutgers-Indiana, Northwestern-Nebraska), so in those instances I used Big Ten Tournament tie-breaking procedures.

Last edited:

Gophers holding at #9

Moving Penn State & Indiana up, and Iowa down significantly. I'm now convinced we won't see Jordan Bohannon until 2020-21 season. Hawkeyes drop to Weakling Wednesday.

Conference SOS is a factor in these rankings. Here's how I'd rank the Big Ten schedules, most difficult to least difficult.

Most Difficult to Least Difficult
1 Northwestern
2 Rutgers
3 Indiana
4 Michigan
5 Illinois
6 Iowa
7 Minnesota
8 Nebraska
9 Penn State
10 Wisconsin
11 Maryland
12 Michigan State
13 Purdue
14 Ohio State

Last edited:

No changes this week

Taking a couple weeks off, next Friday projection in three weeks (July 19).

Top Bottom