Weekly Offseason Projection of the B1G Standings: Gophers Start at #10

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
This is the second week, will continue through the summer. Obviously, there won't be a ton of movement each week, but (stuff) will happen in the offseason (injuries, transfers, freshman/grad-transfer additions, NBA departures, off-court transgressions, etc.) that impacts the outlook of a team.

For those not familiar with Twitter, click on the tweet and you can read what others have to say.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:

This is the Gophers with no Coffey I guess.

I assume this is also based on the roster as it stands today, meaning our starting PF is either a questionably healthy Eric Curry, a raw Jarvis Omersa, or a true freshman Isaiah Ihnen, and there is no presumed grad transfer coming in. I think the rest of our starting lineup, Carr, Kalscheur, Coffey, Oturu, looks pretty good. But I can understand that, as of today, the 4 spot is questionable, and we don’t have much for ballhandlers behind Carr.

I assume this is also based on the roster as it stands today, meaning our starting PF is either a questionably healthy Eric Curry, a raw Jarvis Omersa, or a true freshman Isaiah Ihnen, and there is no presumed grad transfer coming in. I think the rest of our starting lineup, Carr, Kalscheur, Coffey, Oturu, looks pretty good. But I can understand that, as of today, the 4 spot is questionable, and we don’t have much for ballhandlers behind Carr.

Yes, as the roster stands today, and assuming Coffey returns. Among others, have also made roster assumptions for Maryland (Fernando not returning), Nebraska (Roby returns), Ohio State (Wesson returns), and Penn State (Stevens returns).

First, I think you have the gophers right. There is a lot of optimism right now which is good, but I think it will be hard for them to replicate what they did last season. Second, the Big Ten is going to be very good again next year.

If Purdue finishes 3rd next year, Painter deserves a lifetime contract. I just don't know who scores on that team next year. Eastern is a nice player, but he can't shoot outside of a FT. Hunter didn't show a whole lot that makes me think he's going to take the next step. Haarms is a nice player, but can you build around him? He has benefited by having some really good players around him. I do really like Wheeler, but he's not much of a shooter/scorer. I don't know much about who they bring in, they got a grad transfer commit not long ago, but there's a lot to replace there in Cline and Edwards

One team I think could make a bigger jump is Rutgers. I don't know their roster situation, but I thought they returned everyone of importance and they play some great defense. Just need to score more effectively.

I also think Illinois is going to be in the top 4. Return everyone of importance and they add Kofi Cockburn who was incredibly impressive against Tre Williams' team in the prep tournament.

I look for Iowa to be the sleeper of the league...might be a top 10 team in the nation by the time the year is done.

Don't understand the Purdue love. I know they overachieved last year, but with Cardenas Edwards they built to do that and everyone else filled it. Eastern, Harms, Williams aren't straws that can stir the drink. I think they'll battle but I see them as a bubble team.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If I had to guess

Sparty
Michigan
Maryland
OSU
Illinois
Iowa
Gophs
Purdue
Wisconsin
Penn State
IU
Rutgers
NW
Nebby

There is no way on this earth that the Badgers are ending up 9th. Just the removal of 2 guys on the floor(Happ & Iverson that couldn't make a shot outside of 5ft is going to allow us to run an offense that will keep us contending. 5 guys on the floor that can step out to the 3pt line is something we have not had since the 2016 final four.
Iowa is Iowa. They will average 85 ppg and give up 84 ppg. Purdue and Michigan are taking a dive to the middle this year. Its wide open for The Badgers and the Gophs.

Don't understand the Purdue love. I know they overachieved last year, but with Cardenas Edwards they built to do that and everyone else filled it. Eastern, Harms, Williams aren't straws that can stir the drink. I think they'll battle but I see them as a bubble team.

They lost Cline and Eiffort too. They did get Jahad Proctor from High Point, averaged like 19 a game.

They feel a lot like the gophers if Coffey doesn't come back. A few solid role players but don't have a star that can carry the team offensively.

There is no way on this earth that the Badgers are ending up 9th. Just the removal of 2 guys on the floor(Happ & Iverson that couldn't make a shot outside of 5ft is going to allow us to run an offense that will keep us contending. 5 guys on the floor that can step out to the 3pt line is something we have not had since the 2016 final four.
Iowa is Iowa. They will average 85 ppg and give up 84 ppg. Purdue and Michigan are taking a dive to the middle this year. Its wide open for The Badgers and the Gophs.
You're team isn't very good at shooting. Without Happ to keep the defense honest it'll only allow teams to be more aggressive on the perimeter, and your time protection will be exposed. I'm not high Purdue so you might finish eigth

You might be right. I guess I could see them finishing 10th.

Anyone want to wager on UW ? I say they are 7th or better, i win. 8th or worse you win. We have been reporting their demise for 25 years. They will invert their offense and spread the court without Happ. They will be more in a movement of sides instead of watch Happ. The question is where will we finish because 10th would not be acceptable to anyone.

So losing Happ is a good thing, eh? Perhaps we'll be so much freer without Jordan Murphy's limited shooting range dragging us down. :rolleyes:

There will be things gained by both Happ and Murphy being gone. Will it be enough is the question. No one knows for certain. I think both teams stood around a lot watching those two and failed to move defenses to sides . And in the case of Happ, whom i respect a ton for all his work (same for Murph) UW was handcuffed by late game situations by his free throw shooting. He was also turnover prone.

So losing Happ is a good thing, eh? Perhaps we'll be so much freer without Jordan Murphy's limited shooting range dragging us down. :rolleyes:

I love Happ. He required the ball a lot. High usage player. Built is correct. Other guys stood around way too much. Also losing Iverson while a good defensive player was a black hole on offense. Now if if if if Potter steps up and Reuvers takes the jump we think Yeah. it could be a good thing. Back to running the swing offense, or a little quicker version of it I think is what this team needs to be the thorn in the side of teams like a few years ago.

You're team isn't very good at shooting. Without Happ to keep the defense honest it'll only allow teams to be more aggressive on the perimeter, and your time protection will be exposed. I'm not high Purdue so you might finish eigth

When you had Happ and Iverson in there. Yeah they brought the team shooting down.

I guess when you finish in the top 4 in 19 out of 20 years expectations are high. I wouldn't bet against them. a 7th place finish would get Gard in a little trouble..Unless we lose kids to injury or something bad like suspensions.

I guess when you finish in the top 4 in 19 out of 20 years expectations are high. I wouldn't bet against them. a 7th place finish would get Gard in a little trouble..Unless we lose kids to injury or something bad like suspensions.

Injuries are not a good excuse, a good coach should have depth to handle it, and suspensions are on the coach too because he recruited them. If Gard gets 7th or worse he should be fired. Clearly Wisconsin is too good to accept such mediocrity, and its acceptance will only harm the program.

Injuries are not a good excuse, a good coach should have depth to handle it, and suspensions are on the coach too because he recruited them. If Gard gets 7th or worse he should be fired. Clearly Wisconsin is too good to accept such mediocrity, and its acceptance will only harm the program.

We think it is pretty good around here when we are 9-11. Gard will be in trouble if he 9-11.

As another Badger here, I am a bit more hesitant to proclaim my team destined for a high finish next season.

I do agree with both Eddy and built that the loss of Happ will offer some new opportunities to run a more effective offense. The question is whether those taking the extra shots are more efficient.

My biggest concern is that the league has at least 5 teams that probably start with more talent. Getting into the top 4 again looks to be very difficult. My best guess at this point would be for a finish at 6th with a record of 11-9 or 10-10. It is just so tough to win on the road in this league.

My biggest concern is that the league has at least 5 teams that probably start with more talent. Getting into the top 4 again looks to be very difficult. My best guess at this point would be for a finish at 6th with a record of 11-9 or 10-10. It is just so tough to win on the road in this league.
I think this is a pretty fair assessment of the Badgers. If the last few years have shown us anything, it's that it probably takes an injury to a key player or two for Wisconsin to finish below 500 with the style they play. They just don't lose to the bottom half of the conference much. While they still return a good deal of experience, they also have very questionable depth. Sadly, it'll likely be another year the Gophers finish under them in the standings. Hope I am wrong though.

Anyone want to wager on UW ? I say they are 7th or better, i win. 8th or worse you win. We have been reporting their demise for 25 years. They will invert their offense and spread the court without Happ. They will be more in a movement of sides instead of watch Happ. The question is where will we finish because 10th would not be acceptable to anyone.

There is the built we know, protecting Wisconsin.

:clap:

UW does not need protection. Their success takes care of that and more. Most reasonable fans would love to match the accomplishments of that program.

If Purdue finishes 3rd next year, Painter deserves a lifetime contract. I just don't know who scores on that team next year. Eastern is a nice player, but he can't shoot outside of a FT. Hunter didn't show a whole lot that makes me think he's going to take the next step. Haarms is a nice player, but can you build around him? He has benefited by having some really good players around him. I do really like Wheeler, but he's not much of a shooter/scorer. I don't know much about who they bring in, they got a grad transfer commit not long ago, but there's a lot to replace there in Cline and Edwards

One team I think could make a bigger jump is Rutgers. I don't know their roster situation, but I thought they returned everyone of importance and they play some great defense. Just need to score more effectively.

I also think Illinois is going to be in the top 4. Return everyone of importance and they add Kofi Cockburn who was incredibly impressive against Tre Williams' team in the prep tournament.

The Purdue grad transfer is a guard from High Point that averaged like 16 or 17 there so that will help, but I agree, I’m not sure how well they will replace their scoring.

I can’t stand the Badgers and get irritated by Built, but doesn’t he end up right more often than not with his Wisconsin predictions? Their boring style wins more often than it loses-even when their talent level is down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Purdue grad transfer is a guard from High Point that averaged like 16 or 17 there so that will help, but I agree, I’m not sure how well they will replace their scoring.

Purdue's most valuable commodity is Painter. He is a incredible teacher, coaches from all over are constantly picking his brain on flex and spread sets, watch how precise the ball screens are and in variety. Beautiful. He knows how to find the talent and skills a mold it into a team. Very impressive.

Top Bottom