MinnPost Article on Ticket issues.

Moonlight

Reaction score
"But the U is making the same classic mistake we newspaper veterans watched our industry make repeatedly: Focusing too much on customers who aren’t coming back, while gouging your most loyal ones so badly they ultimately walk away in disgust.

This shouldn’t be a revelation to anyone who’s lived here awhile, but Minnesotans are notoriously thrifty. They like getting the most bang for their buck. They love deals. This is a fan base that relishes finding street parking ten blocks from Williams Arena to avoid paying $10 or $15 at a U ramp. (I know. I’ve done it myself.)...

...But at Williams and Mariucci, in pricier sections for 2019-20, the “per seat contributions,” as the donations are called, rose even as ticket prices dropped. That negated any savings. The U fumbled a chance for goodwill by not reducing the donations, instead running a shell game on the price. And anyone who thinks fans will magically return for the privilege of paying $10 for a craft beer, $2 more than a six-pack costs at the liquor store up the street, needs to learn a little more about their customers.

The U should apply what works in so many of their women’s sports — volleyball, hockey, basketball, softball and soccer. Affordable tickets. Athletes who avoid the police blotter. Outstanding coaches willing to connect with fans. Success helps, but personal touches matter more.

https://www.minnpost.com/sports/2019/04/the-us-attendance-problems-arent-going-to-be-solved-by-booze-and-better-pricing/?fbclid=IwAR00IMxTwAbpTaw9jb-kMfwHDbtSh6kwQZEzZmLLB71kp86zWAVA_Kwdfr0

Interesting comparison to newspapers.

I worked at several newspapers through the '80s and '90s. During my last five years I kept saying, "This industry isn't dying, it's committing suicide."

I think the accusation of "running a shell game on the price" is spot on. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

JTG

Love how all these articles try to make it seem like only a Minnesota issue, when it's an issue all over the country. Hell Badgers board has a thread about the same issue right now. Even Bama had a game where saban went off at fans for not being there for the team.

Tickets are too expensive, and the act of trying to make it to the game is more trouble than it's worth for most people. You will also get a better view/info of the game on TV than you'll get anywhere in the arena/stadium, don't have to deal with idiot strangers, can easily get food/ go to bathroom during a time out compared to at the game. Students today also have way more options than in the past for fun due to social media.

I don't know what the solution is, but schools will have to adapt, you can't sign massive TV contracts and expect not to lose fans to it.

I'm a loyal fan, a millennial and I live less than ten miles from the barn. I guess I'm supposed to be the type of fan the U wants to draw. I had basketball and football student season tickets when I was a student. I only went to two games last year because they're just too dang expensive. I can (and did) get every Twins home game for a month for cheaper than one game at Williams Arena. That's ridiculous. And the Twins are good.

I'm a loyal fan, a millennial and I live less than ten miles from the barn. I guess I'm supposed to be the type of fan the U wants to draw. I had basketball and football student season tickets when I was a student. I only went to two games last year because they're just too dang expensive. I can (and did) get every Twins home game for a month for cheaper than one game at Williams Arena. That's ridiculous. And the Twins are good.

I've wondered about how plausible it would be for Gopher athletics to do something like the Twins Pass. Combine it for hockey, basketball, and football. The logistics of it could get a little shaky, but there might be something there. I wonder what the market would be for something like that if it was say $400-600 a year for all three sports. (No required donation of course.) If the Twins can do it I don't see why Gopher athletics couldn't at least explore it as an option.

I've wondered about how plausible it would be for Gopher athletics to do something like the Twins Pass. Combine it for hockey, basketball, and football. The logistics of it could get a little shaky, but there might be something there. I wonder what the market would be for something like that if it was say $400-600 a year for all three sports. (No required donation of course.) If the Twins can do it I don't see why Gopher athletics couldn't at least explore it as an option.

I think this will become more of a thing. It works especially for the Twins, because many younger people just want to go for a day at the stadium to sit in the sunshine and drink. They don't really care where their seats are. I can see this working somewhat with Gopher football. Not so much basketball or hockey.

All due respect to the Gopher Women's programs, but relating them to the Men's program is not really genuine.

It cites Hugh McCutcheon as being higly popular, successful and a 2X Olympic Coach. Ok, for the Men's basketball team to replicate that they would need to hire the men's Olympic Coach. I don't think Coach K or Pop are going to make their way down to Dinkytown. Even with all that, volleyball loses money.

The article also praises Lindsay Whalen. She deserves all credit no doubt as a Gopher, Olympian and WNBA champ. The attendance was up over 2000 per game. A good chunk of that increase was the $5 tix that lead to a sell out in the Season Opener. Still the average attendance is only 5000 (half of the mens).

I think this will become more of a thing. It works especially for the Twins, because many younger people just want to go for a day at the stadium to sit in the sunshine and drink. They don't really care where their seats are. I can see this working somewhat with Gopher football. Not so much basketball or hockey.

an expensive way for young people to drink by any measure.

I think the article is a good view of the ticket issue from a less partisan viewpoint. And it is what many of us have said.
The tickets are overpriced for the market (AND we are at the top of BT prices in BB, which they dont address) and the U is failing to consider protecting the good will of their current loyal customers. As I've said, we have other season tickets outside of this and we feel we are valued by things like FREE events (NOT just for the big donors or based on our donation history), opportunities for ticket exchanges.

I'd like to see them make the cupcake schedule open to ticket exchanges since the tickets themselves have almost no resale value. It would be great if I could look at a game I have a scheduling conflict with and turn those tickets in for a couple extras for another game (based on availability of course) and bring friends - make it a night out.

The wisdom of paying big money to attend big-time sports is increasingly on my mind. It's probably a couple years ago that we attended a Twins game. Gopher Basketball (season tickets) is a big part of our winter social scene, but it's not like we couldn't spend that time and money elsewhere. I've been clear and honest about how the product is very different and not as enjoyable as when we first got our tickets nearly 30 years ago, when it was more of a collegiate atmosphere and there were deep Tournament runs to get excited about.

A few weeks ago, my wife and I went to see Feeding Leroy open for Pert Near Sandstone at the Cedar Cultural Center. We had a bite at the Acadia beforehand, and the show tickets were $17 each. That was one of the really good times we've had in the last few months, and we will honestly not forget that night. Meanwhile, what was the outcome of the last Twins game we attended?

I agree with GoodasGold: If you're going to Target Field to drink, you're doing it wrong. I limit myself to one overpriced beer a game. I'm not made of money.

Love how all these articles try to make it seem like only a Minnesota issue, when it's an issue all over the country. Hell Badgers board has a thread about the same issue right now. Even Bama had a game where saban went off at fans for not being there for the team.

Tickets are too expensive, and the act of trying to make it to the game is more trouble than it's worth for most people. You will also get a better view/info of the game on TV than you'll get anywhere in the arena/stadium, don't have to deal with idiot strangers, can easily get food/ go to bathroom during a time out compared to at the game. Students today also have way more options than in the past for fun due to social media.

I don't know what the solution is, but schools will have to adapt, you can't sign massive TV contracts and expect not to lose fans to it.

Lot of good points. Pricing reflects what it takes to stay in the arms race as far as salaries and facilities. Then you put your product on TV where it is a lot cheaper and more convenient to watch because of the money you are getting from BTN, ESPN, etc. Add a history of mediocrity, scandals, and competition from all sorts of pro teams for the dollars. If only the resident experts on GH were in charge--they would solve all of these easy problems.

The wisdom of paying big money to attend big-time sports is increasingly on my mind. It's probably a couple years ago that we attended a Twins game. Gopher Basketball (season tickets) is a big part of our winter social scene, but it's not like we couldn't spend that time and money elsewhere. I've been clear and honest about how the product is very different and not as enjoyable as when we first got our tickets nearly 30 years ago, when it was more of a collegiate atmosphere and there were deep Tournament runs to get excited about.

A few weeks ago, my wife and I went to see Feeding Leroy open for Pert Near Sandstone at the Cedar Cultural Center. We had a bite at the Acadia beforehand, and the show tickets were $17 each. That was one of the really good times we've had in the last few months, and we will honestly not forget that night. Meanwhile, what was the outcome of the last Twins game we attended?

I agree with GoodasGold: If you're going to Target Field to drink, you're doing it wrong. I limit myself to one overpriced beer a game. I'm not made of money.

It helps that Pert Near Sandstone is a pretty fun band to hear [emoji108].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am biased as a college hoops junkie and think going to Williams is still a blast when i am in town. Winning solves it all. People pay more to see a great product. UW had no issues on back to back final 4 years or Big 10 Title years. Programs on hot streaks have waiting lists. If the shine dims even a bit you get no shows. UW has no shows. Donations go up huge when you win huge as well.

If your goal is to continue supporting the nonprofitable programs and give Hugh McCutcheon raises, cutting season ticket prices in the seats that are selling well isn't a great strategy.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I am biased as a college hoops junkie and think going to Williams is still a blast when i am in town. Winning solves it all. People pay more to see a great product. UW had no issues on back to back final 4 years or Big 10 Title years. Programs on hot streaks have waiting lists. If the shine dims even a bit you get no shows. UW has no shows. Donations go up huge when you win huge as well.
Haven't you made comments about the price compared to other BT schools?
And the U cannot ignore that when things arent going well, caring about your client base should be important.

MinnPost is a local online news source made up of local former newspaper writers, commenting on the changing ticket situation in the Twin Cities and perception of the U. Might be good to consider an inside non-super fan view.

Here is our solve.
We had seats that we liked ok prior to this year. First row of bench seats in the upper level corner. We thought last year it was time to upgrade to seat backs and got to hang out near Bleedgopher for a season. But the price was/is daunting.
Just finished my conversation with the ticket office, and they are letting us move back to those seats from the previous year. Savings of $1100.
So I'm good now.

Here is our solve.
We had seats that we liked ok prior to this year. First row of bench seats in the upper level corner. We thought last year it was time to upgrade to seat backs and got to hang out near Bleedgopher for a season. But the price was/is daunting.
Just finished my conversation with the ticket office, and they are letting us move back to those seats from the previous year. Savings of $1100.
So I'm good now.

Our section will miss you, but as long as The Barn keeps The Moonlight's, all is good!

Go Gophers!!

Well look at handle not how many fans show up for a game..there are 351 ncaa men’s basketball teams. 347 will not make final 4...should they go out of business...if a team makes enough money to cover costs keep it if not take a look at eliminating it

Top Bottom