ESPN: Clemson gives Swinney 10-year, $93M deal

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Clemson has rewarded coach Dabo Swinney for leading the Tigers to two national titles in the past three seasons, announcing that they have agreed to a 10-year, $93 million contract.

Under the new deal, Swinney will make $8.25 million in 2019. The value of the contract will increase over the course of the deal, peaking at $10 million in the final two seasons (2027, 2028).

"I am grateful and humbled by the incredible commitment Clemson has made to me, my family and our football program," Swinney said in a statement. "For more than a decade, we have given our all to provide this world-class university and our incredible fans the championship football program they deserve - to live up to Best is the Standard. With this contract, we make a collective statement that we intend to continue pursuing championships and developing total student-athletes for years to come."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26610577/clemson-gives-swinney-10-year-93m-deal

Go Gophers!!

Great deal for a coach and no reason these contracts won't spiral higher. Not such a great deal for the players that get concussions, ACLs, or other life long injuries - morally repugnant.

Great deal for a coach and no reason these contracts won't spiral higher. Not such a great deal for the players that get concussions, ACLs, or other life long injuries - morally repugnant.

I'll go out on a limb and say there will be a all-level nationwide college football player walkout within the next 10 years.

I'll go out on a limb and say there will be a all-level nationwide college football player walkout within the next 10 years.

Not a chance there will be an all-level player walk out. I have no data to back this up but I would assume the majority of D3, D2, and most likely D1 FCS programs most likely lose money with their football programs.

The majority of the players are playing because they have a scholarship or because they love the game. I don't see a situation where a player would give up 1 of the 4 years of eligibility they have in order to make a point.

I think Brent Venables got a raise this year ... and last year ...

Good for Dabo, bad for college football. There will be blow back down the road, no doubt a number of schools will drop football as they can't keep up with the Clemson's. Will the Gophers be considered too big for the MIAC?

Not a chance there will be an all-level player walk out. I have no data to back this up but I would assume the majority of D3, D2, and most likely D1 FCS programs most likely lose money with their football programs.

The majority of the players are playing because they have a scholarship or because they love the game. I don't see a situation where a player would give up 1 of the 4 years of eligibility they have in order to make a point.

Maybe just a D1 walkout?
Either way, you're probably right.
Okay, back to brain injuries and parents not letting their kids play football anymore to top the list of reasons college football will be ruined in future.

Gross. Then again, it’s entertainment and the puppet masters in the biz have long become wealthy. This is just more out in the open. How about long term disability and healthcare for the players with ongoing issues? How about mandating excess revenue go towards a scholarship pool?

This guy is a piece of work. I got mine...go eff yourself.

“We try to teach our guys, use football to create the opportunities, take advantage of the platform and the brand and the marketing you have available to you. But as far as paying players, professionalizing college athletics, that's where you lose me. I’ll go do something else, because there's enough entitlement in this world as it is.”

This guy is a piece of work. I got mine...go eff yourself.

“We try to teach our guys, use football to create the opportunities, take advantage of the platform and the brand and the marketing you have available to you. But as far as paying players, professionalizing college athletics, that's where you lose me. I’ll go do something else, because there's enough entitlement in this world as it is.”

And by multiple reports, Swinney now makes a higher salary than 28 of the 32 NFL coaches (Belichick, Gruden, Carroll and Payton excepted), so clearly it’s him leading the way on the professionalizing of college sports. That’s where you lose me, Dabo, you hypocritical POS.

And by multiple reports, Swinney now makes a higher salary than 28 of the 32 NFL coaches (Belichick, Gruden, Carroll and Payton excepted), so clearly it’s him leading the way on the professionalizing of college sports. That’s where you lose me, Dabo, you hypocritical POS.

This is mimicking the trend of CEOs in the last 20 years.

Let's say for argument's sake you value a college education at Clemson at $100,000 per year (tuition, room/board, equipment, frills, etc). That puts Dabo as making 93 times more than his "employees". The average CEO-worker pay ratio is at 70 to 1 right now. Kind of crazy in both cases if you ask me.

Do college coaches love the game... or are they in it for the money they make?

It's interesting. What would happen if coaches were required to maintain 'amateur' status, as the players are? How would that change the college football landscape? Would they continue to pursue coaching, and also maintain a second job to pay their bills?

Student-athletes have to do classwork while training, practicing, participating in team community building, etc. And they had better not get caught accepting any kind of compensation, beyond their scholarship.

Maybe that's the answer: calculate what a scholarship is worth at each school, and then have that number automatically become the coach's salary as well. And in the spirit of 'amateur competition', no outside endorsements, sponsorships, TV spots or shows, etc.

Top Bottom