NCAA denies waiver to 4-star TE transfer to IL from GA

sick grandma not close enough to Champaign Urbana. Kid was number 1 ranked recruit in IL, 63 in nation.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26597247

He clearly didn't understand how immediate eligibility works with the NCAA. You get waivers when you go TO Georgia, not when you leave. Easy enough mistake to make but the NCAA are no patsies, they have rules and they stick by them. He should have considered going to Ohio State as well - he'd be collecting buckeyes for his helmet 5 months from now.

sick grandma not close enough to Champaign Urbana. Kid was number 1 ranked recruit in IL, 63 in nation.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26597247

"He's leaving the Taj Mahal of facilities [at Georgia] just so his grandpa gets a chance to see him play in person, before it's too late," Tim Ford said, adding that his son "is pretty devastated" about the decision.

I know of several college athletes whose grandparents are in the twilight of their years. NCAA has a tough one here. Granting this one could* provide another escape route for players in the future who want out.

* "Could", because we all know the NCAA is not necessarily consistent with their decisions.

A VA Tech transfer was denied the waiver despite his mother having a brain tumor. He should have been a QB going to one of the top programs in the country I guess.

https://wtkr.com/2019/04/23/transfer-trouble-hokies-player/

The whole waiver process for immediate eligibility is such a joke. There doesn't seem to be any real rhyme or reason to it other than that if you are a top school and need a kid to be eligible right away they will be.

If the NCAA has any interest in reigning in the free agent system that is forming in college football they need to enforce sitting out a year. As it stands right now, there are a number of schools just QB shopping and it won't be long before it becomes commonplace at other positions as well.

Of course, it is tough to say if the NCAA has any interest in stopping the helmet schools from just plucking the best available players from other teams rosters.

Weird how all the blue-bloods get their players eligible right away.

How can the NCAA be this blind to the optics around these decisions? I mean, there are a handful of cases each year which will garner public sympathy, how on earth do they think it's a good decision to deny those, and grant very obvious playing time transfers who give bogus excuses.

Didn’t a Gopher player just get a waiver to get a year of eligibility back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can the NCAA be this blind to the optics around these decisions? I mean, there are a handful of cases each year which will garner public sympathy, how on earth do they think it's a good decision to deny those, and grant very obvious playing time transfers who give bogus excuses.

I am sure they know how it looks, they just don't care. Bottom line is they want these star players on the field for the top teams. The lesser players they could care less about for the most part so they hold them to a different standard.

Basically the NCAA kicked the door wide open by granting Fields instant eligibility with his BS excuse. Going to be interesting to see how free agency evolves over the next few years. They can keep calling it the transfer portal if they want but it is easy to see what it really is and it is growing at a rapid pace.

I am sure they know how it looks, they just don't care. Bottom line is they want these star players on the field for the top teams. The lesser players they could care less about for the most part so they hold them to a different standard.

<b>Basically the NCAA kicked the door wide open by granting Fields instant eligibility with his BS excuse. </b>Going to be interesting to see how free agency evolves over the next few years. They can keep calling it the transfer portal if they want but it is easy to see what it really is and it is growing at a rapid pace.

I couldn’t agree more with the bolded. The NCAA couldn’t have been more transparent with their priorities with Fields. The decision was flat out ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO the ncaa shouldn’t grant ANY waivers that differentiate between the same type of transfer

Either make everyone sits or everyone can play.

Some kid can get faster eligibility because a family member they may or may not be close with falls ill. That’s dumb
I’d be okay either way.

One kids coach gets fired and he is sad so he can transfer.
The other kid wishes his coach would get fired but doesn’t so he can’t.
Dumb

The NCAA waiver system decisions are arbitrary and capricious. The system is a failure on many levels.

I wonder how long it will take for recruits to figure it out. If you're between a powerhouse school and a second less prestigious school, go to the less prestigious school. If you later decide you want to transfer to a powerhouse, talk to the school, have them come up with a good enough excuse, and you'll get a waiver to play immediately. After a few years, the top 15 or so schools in the country will have a farm system set up. They can save their scholarship for older guys who are ready to start and the top few recruits of each class and then send the rest of the iffy guys to the farm system for a few years and have them transfer when they're ready to play.

Who the hell is making these decisions? The NCAA needs to be torn apart.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom