All Things Kaden Johnson Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020, top rated MN HS recruit)

Kaden officially made his official visit to Nebraska for the Ohio State game. Sounds like that's going to be the big recruiting weekend for the blue chip recruits.

High risk, high reward. But even if they don’t win, as long as they don’t get blown out ... the atmosphere and facilities down there are so good that it will still be an impressive visit I’m sure.

High risk, high reward. But even if they don’t win, as long as they don’t get blown out ... the atmosphere and facilities down there are so good that it will still be an impressive visit I’m sure.

I don’t really see the risk. The atmosphere is the selling point and it could be huge with tOSU in town. I can’t imagine the outcome of a single game matters more just because he is there in person. He’ll know the success of the Nebby season, this game and as a whole, regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t really see the risk. The atmosphere is the selling point and it could be huge with tOSU in town. I can’t imagine the outcome of a single game matters more just because he is there in person. He’ll know the success of the Nebby season, this game and as a whole, regardless.

Risk: blown out and fans are pissed off, leave early etc. that’s about it

Risk: blown out and fans are pissed off, leave early etc. that’s about it

I don’t think Nebby fans leave early. Nothing like TCF.

Sure, getting blown out wouldn’t help endear him to NE - but that is true whether he is there or not.

I guess it wouldn’t be zero risk, but very, very little. IMO.

I hope he will come here because he is most comfortable and excited about our coaches and culture. Although disappointed with the initial drop off, this program is now turning around faster than many of us expected. His future has a lot in stake with where he commits. If WM can get to the Cotton Bowl we sure as heck are headed to the Rose Bowl in Kaden's Gopher career. Our current D coaching staff proved what they can do later in the season last year. Go Gopher-Go Pro!

Although disappointed with the initial drop off, this program is now turning around faster than many of us expected.

There is no possible way this statement can be true, unless 2019 ends up being a 8-9 overall win season, ideally with a nice bowl victory.

I hear you. A blow out never looks good, but this game sets up nicely for a few reasons.

Nebraska has a decent chance to be Undefeated and near the top 10 by week 5 if they take care of business. (Yes they need to prove it, im just going by what should/most likely to happen)

College Gameday has already expressed interest in that game. That day is weak around the country and the potential top ten matchup would be grand slam for the Huskers recruiting efforts.

Addressing the differences in gameday atmosphere. If Fleck can manage to have a good season I would say 9+ regular season wins and take advantage of a weaker schedule, the fan enthusiasm and kool-aid will rise along with winning expectations. It seems Cliche but winning cures all. Its the truth.

SkerzFan. I am just curious. Are you from or do you have ties to South Western Minnesota?

Last edited:

I don’t think Nebby fans leave early. Nothing like TCF.

Sure, getting blown out wouldn’t help endear him to NE - but that is true whether he is there or not.

I guess it wouldn’t be zero risk, but very, very little. IMO.

I’ve seen it once in person but yeah I’d really doubt they would at this game

If a Nebby fan were to leave a game early, what would they do then? Watch the corn grow?

If a Nebby fan were to leave a game early, what would they do then? Watch the corn grow?

Let's be nice! This Husker fan has been more than decent. We don't want him to confuse our board with an Iowa or Wisconsin board.

My bad, that is true. Sorry Huskers.

Triggered... Lol So Im guessing you haven't been to Lincoln for a game? If you ever have an opportunity or you see a night game scheduled and decide to go last minute, you will have a good time. The old corn joke will never stop being told but Lincoln is a pretty fun town on game days and i have had some good times with Gopher fans the past few years. Omahas Old Market isnt too bad either.

Triggered... Lol So Im guessing you haven't been to Lincoln for a game? If you ever have an opportunity or you see a night game scheduled and decide to go last minute, you will have a good time. The old corn joke will never stop being told but Lincoln is a pretty fun town on game days and i have had some good times with Gopher fans the past few years. Omahas Old Market isnt too bad either.
I was at the game last year in Lincoln and all weekend long the Husker fans went out of their way to say things like "welcome and thanks for coming to Lincoln".

Outside of the game result the weekend exceeded my expectations.

I do like to give the Huskers fans a bunch of grief but really the place was packed and what a big time college atmosphere it truly is at Memorial Stadium.

My best friend is a professor at Nebraska, grew up in the metro. I've been to dozens and dozens of college campus over my lifetime. The Lincoln campus is nice, the area around there is fun but it's no different than any other college campus. If you think Lincoln is different is some way you have been to another college campus. Minnesota is different because there is actually more to do than go to a game, hit a bar up and drink yourself into oblivion.

My best friend is a professor at Nebraska, grew up in the metro. I've been to dozens and dozens of college campus over my lifetime. The Lincoln campus is nice, the area around there is fun but it's no different than any other college campus. If you think Lincoln is different is some way you have been to another college campus. Minnesota is different because there is actually more to do than go to a game, hit a bar up and drink yourself into oblivion.
Agree the campus is no different but the game day thing is pretty crazy. Never been to an SEC game or OSU or MI but they are on my list.

My prediction is that Kaden Johnson becomes a Gopher and he is just going to Lincoln for the visit and for the experience. When he is old he can tell people he was recruited by Nebraska. Reminds me of Carter Coughlin going to Oregon.

STrib: Ego-free, ready to go: SMB's Kaden Johnson is unlikely top football recruit

Everything about him screamed linebacker.

It’s for that position that college recruiters have relentlessly chased after him. He carries the only four-star grade among the current crop of seniors. Of the 14 Division I offers, 13 are from Power Five schools.

“It’s crazy to think I’m the No. 1 player in Minnesota,” Johnson says incredulously, without a shred of ego. “Of all the players out there, I’m No. 1. And think I’m, like, No. 9 in the nation at the outside linebacker position. That’s crazy.”

The outlier offer not from a premier league? Yale, an indication that he’s more than just a good athlete.

“Last year I had a 3.7,” Johnson recalled when asked about his grades. “Which is pretty good. They don’t play games here with academics. You’re going to need that education at the end of the day.”

There is a wealth of Division I talent on the roster at SMB, which also includes athletes from St. Paul Academy and Blake. Besides Johnson, there’s Suggs and Lockett, Johnson’s best pals. Sophomore defensive back Trevon Howard. Three hundred-pound defensive lineman Kevyan Anderson. Running backs Sanjay Redd and Dewayne Givens, both flashy underclassmen.

That doesn’t include defensive back Craig McDonald, who has committed to Iowa State but was declared ineligible for his senior season by the Minnesota State High School League because he repeated eighth grade and used up his eligibility before this year.

All that football skill has generated tons of interest and recruiting speculation. The SMB sidelines are busy places during games, a traffic jam of reporters and bloggers.

“It’s crazy,” Goodwin said. “You ever hear of a high school team having to issue sideline passes?”

Johnson knows a great deal of the attention is directed toward him. He’s patient with the constant inquiries about his collegiate future and feels no pressure to make a choice.

“It doesn’t bother me,” he said. “At the end of the day, I’ll go to the place that’s best for me.”

The Gophers and Wisconsin have long been considered front-runners. Johnson said both are in the mix but he wants to explore his options. There are still campus visits to take and football worlds he wants to see.

“Nebraska. Oregon State. I’ve been talking to Vanderbilt a little bit,” he said. “Tennessee. I like Tennessee football. Iowa State, which is cool. Michigan State. There are a lot of schools still in contact with me.”

http://www.startribune.com/ego-free...n-is-unlikely-top-football-recruit/560195902/

Go Gophers!!

^^^ was that headline supposed to say "likely" ??

No. It means he is an unlikely type of kid to emerge as the top recruit.

Go Gophers!!

Ah, thank you.

I read it as: "SMB's Kaden Johnson is unlikely the top football recruit"
It should have been: "SMB's Kaden Johnson is an unlikely top football recruit"

Not a good looking game for him to visit at, other than to maybe sell "Immediate playing time"....

Not a good looking game for him to visit at, other than to maybe sell "Immediate playing time"....

The defense played pretty well, though. The O-line owns today’s near loss.

The defense played pretty well, though. The O-line owns today’s near loss.

I agree but will say the Oline didn’t give up a blocked FG TD. That makes it 31-20 if the kick is good gophers D shut them down pretty nicely and it could have turned into a 3 score game.

OLine contributed heavily to the near loss

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

And that is why KJ has not committed to the U or Wisconsin yet.

Now that LSU has offered, schools like Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Clemson, Ohio State, etc. could say "oh yeah? maybe we should take a look at this kid too?" and that is that.

He gone. I wish him all the best luck at whichever helmet school he ultimately decides to select!

Go Gophers!!

[video]https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AdorableNeglectedCommongonolek-mobile.mp4[/video]
AdorableNeglectedCommongonolek-mobile.mp4

Johnson is at the Debacle in Lincoln tonight:

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom