All Things Kaden Johnson Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020, top rated MN HS recruit)

Johnson is at the Debacle in Lincoln tonight:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I guess Nebraska is going all in on the "there will be lots of playing time for you" angle.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

84 is a strange linebacker number anyway

Kaden Johnson taking an official visit to Oregon St.? WTF?

He is as good as gone. If he wanted to be a Gopher, he would've pulled the trigger early.

He is as good as gone. If he wanted to be a Gopher, he would've pulled the trigger early.

It would have been much better if he had committed to the Gophers already. But many guys that have committed early have said they wish they would have taken all of their official visits. Maybe KJ is just doing that — especially knowing PJF’s philosophy on not taking other visits once you commit to him.

Utah 52
Oregon State 0

9 minutes and change remaining in the game.

I hope Kaden had a great time at the game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Some kids want all the free official visits. More power to them as long as they know where to commit...

I know nothing about this dude, but have never bought the “just wants a free trip” angle. If it doesn’t make sense - think about how it would. How hard is OSU to get in to?

I know nothing about this dude, but have never bought the “just wants a free trip” angle. If it doesn’t make sense - think about how it would. How hard is OSU to get in to?

OSU is easier to get into than The U but not by much

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie said "my sense from Gopher folks is they don't expect to get Kaden Johnson but the interest is still there."

Go Gophers!!

In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie said "my sense from Gopher folks is they don't expect to get Kaden Johnson but the interest is still there."

Go Gophers!!

I hope by now, we all realize, Doogie has zero inside scoops. He is just going off of his hunches and pretends they are scoops. He might right here, but no one has told him a thing.

You can even tell it by the way he describes his "scoops". He is an awful liar. "My sense from Gopher folks". He carefully does not say "Someone from the Gopher staff told me. . . ".

Anything going on here? When I look at 247 he is 50/50 between us and Wisconsin. I think Nebraska is out with how terrible they are and are several years out. If the gophers can go 10-2 that will go a long ways in convincing this difference maker to stay. Plus there will be plenty of playing time next year.

Anything going on here? When I look at 247 he is 50/50 between us and Wisconsin. I think Nebraska is out with how terrible they are and are several years out. If the gophers can go 10-2 that will go a long ways in convincing this difference maker to stay. Plus there will be plenty of playing time next year.

No updates recently that I've heard, but people assumed he might end up bolting to the SEC once LSU offered.

I'm sure this will shake out over the next month or so, all we can do it crush it on the field and convince him that there is a good reason to stay home.

Stay home and be a starter instead of being a backup player in a talent laden team.

JC Hassennauer, didn't he opted for Alabama and ended up being a backup for a good part and ended up as an u drafted free agent and did make it to the pros that way. I wondered had he stayed home if he could have been drafted.

Rashod Bateman opted for the Gophers where he is one of the undisputed stars. Just saying...

Stay home and be a starter instead of being a backup player in a talent laden team.

JC Hassennauer, didn't he opted for Alabama and ended up being a backup for a good part and ended up as an u drafted free agent and did make it to the pros that way. I wondered had he stayed home if he could have been drafted.

Rashod Bateman opted for the Gophers where he is one of the undisputed stars. Just saying...

You've brought this up many times, and it's an absolutely horrible recruiting pitch.

"Our team sucks, but you'll get to play a lot!"

Part of getting drafted is the head coach making calls with NFL scouts. Fleck does that, such as him attending the NFL Combines, etc., Jerry and Tracy didn't. I see quite a few more MN players getting drafted in the coming years.

This is a great point, and a valid recruit pitch to a top player, especially an in-state player.

You've brought this up many times, and it's an absolutely horrible recruiting pitch.

I think you added the "our team sucks" part on your own cause he certainly never said it. I think he brings up a valid point. Top recruits want to play not sit on the bench.

Yeah you just don't see it working much.

The handful of times guys pick a less prominent school than you expect ... it's not quite for that reason and sometimes doesn't work out.

The 247 Notorious B1G podcast guys (Allen Trieu and Steve Wiltfong) said on their podcast with Fleck today that there’s Gophers buzz with Kaden. If he were to commit today then it would be Minnesota according to them. Surprising really but they seem pretty plugged in throughout the Midwest so thought i’d share it here. They also said a few weeks ago that Terry Lockett is someone to keep an eye on for the Gophers....likely battling with Sparty for him.

Something I wondered when Lockett transferred back to Minnehaha was if he would give the Gophers a harder look and whether that could help in recruiting some of the other Minnehaha kids....maybe that’s playing out a bit here. The Craig McDonald ship has sailed but noticed Terry and Kaden visited together for the, I believe it was the Illinois game so maybe a potential package deal with Lockett and Johnson? May explain the recent Agyekum decommitment to make room for the pair. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

Edit. Timestamp for when they mention Kaden/Gophers is at 25:10 in their latest podcast with P.J. if you guys wanted to check it out.

Last edited:

The 247 Notorious B1G podcast guys (Allen Trieu and Steve Wiltfong) said on their podcast with Fleck today that there’s Gophers buzz with Kaden. If he were to commit today then it would be Minnesota according to them. Surprising really but they seem pretty plugged in throughout the Midwest so thought i’d share it here. They also said a few weeks ago that Terry Lockett is someone to keep an eye on for the Gophers....likely battling with Sparty for him.

Something I wondered when Lockett transferred back to Minnehaha was if he would give the Gophers a harder look and whether that could help in recruiting some of the other Minnehaha kids....maybe that’s playing out a bit here. The Craig McDonald ship has sailed but noticed Terry and Kaden visited together for the, I believe it was the Illinois game so maybe a potential package deal with Lockett and Johnson? May explain the recent Agyekum decommitment to make room for the pair. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

247 currently lists Lockett as warm on us, and cool or nothing on everyone else. Definitely seems to be a guy to watch closely over the next few weeks.

That'd be great, and if true, signals a change from the sentiments Trieu had in this article from two weeks ago:
https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...ecruits-October-update-137328903/#137328903_1

"Minneapolis (Minn.) Minnehaha Academy linebacker Kaden Johnson just wrapped up an official visit to Oregon State. It may be his final official or he could take one to LSU. Wisconsin and Nebraska feel like they have been duking it out for a while now, but do not discount Minnesota here, who has used their proximity to get him on campus several times unofficially in the last six months."

Most likely a conditional commit. It just seem like something is cooking in terms of late 2020 commitments especially if the Gophers continue winning.

If Kaden and Lockett commit to the Gophers, any chance Craig McDonald would flip from Iowa State? Probably not any room at this point, unless he wanted to take a "maroon shirt".

Top Bottom