Turf Removal

I posted a while back about the fact TCF Bank Stadium is getting new turf - and had recalled the deal with the Loons said they had to replace the turf when they departed to their new stadium. It is nice to hear this finally is happening.

My biggest fear is they do some sort of multi-functional turf painting design that requires more field painting and less stitching. PLEASE NO!

I hope it goes back to maroon end zones. I miss those maroon end zones so much I no longer care if they are a perfect match to the shade of maroon on the seat backs.

Any knowledge or guesses on what it will look like? I guess I would assume it will be a copy of what is in the new indoor practice facility. Just please go back to stitching and maroon end zones.

Finally is happening? I may be wrong but the Loons were playing there during the 2018 Gopher season. I'm not entirely sure when you wanted it to be done. December? January? Jesus man.

Let's go full snowman on the entire field. Then you won't be able to tell if it snowing or not...

This would require us to schedule a home and away with Boise State. That would be aweso;)me if we went White helmet, white pants and Jersey, and white shoes. Lookout GSU...

Finally is happening? I may be wrong but the Loons were playing there during the 2018 Gopher season. I'm not entirely sure when you wanted it to be done. December? January? Jesus man.

Yeah, "finally happening" as in FINALLY getting back to Gopher-only turf. It has been four long seasons without it. To me, that is a long time.

I posted a while back about the fact TCF Bank Stadium is getting new turf - and had recalled the deal with the Loons said they had to replace the turf when they departed to their new stadium. It is nice to hear this finally is happening.

My biggest fear is they do some sort of multi-functional turf painting design that requires more field painting and less stitching. PLEASE NO!

I hope it goes back to maroon end zones. I miss those maroon end zones so much I no longer care if they are a perfect match to the shade of maroon on the seat backs.

Any knowledge or guesses on what it will look like? I guess I would assume it will be a copy of what is in the new indoor practice facility. Just please go back to stitching and maroon end zones.

I've wanted to see this happen for a while...

Curious what happens to all the shredded rubber when the get rid of turf? Can they remove it easily? I coach soccer regularly at the national sports center and they have similar turf. That rubber ends up in everything. Not sure I would want it in my backyard.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

To me this sounds like a mess waiting to happen if you do it. I can't imagine dealing with all those rubber bits.

I don't remember the last time I was on the field. Actually it was late last year now that I remember.

I found rubber bits just two days ago.... only place could have been TCF. I suspect my shoes gather them up like a gopher in his cheeks....

I'd like some of that, but only if they would throw in an equivalent amount of heating coils.
Then I could put it on my driveway and not have to shovel. :p

To me this sounds like a mess waiting to happen if you do it. I can't imagine dealing with all those rubber bits.

You would use sand instead of the rubber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is this the original turf? Or has this been done before?

Also, it would be awesome if someone took it ALL and built their own Gopher field of dreams on some farm in the country.

No, it's been replaced multiple times already.

I heard that the U was lookin at the new artificial turf where every other “grass blade” had a very thin copper wire. The wire would conduct just enough current to light up. Pushing the correct button and the first down line appears on the field like we see on tv. Helpful to receivers as well as officials. Problem is the constant bending would damage the wire.

The sales pitch in that link doesn’t jibe with the field being replaced for the third time in 5 years. Anyone know why they’re renovating so soon?

They put in non branded with the Vikings and less than desired branded with the Loons, so they wanted to go back to flashy end zones, more branding, etc. The field itself was just fine, it just didn't look the way they wanted it.

New turf progress Sat Apr 27

Here's a pic from this afternoon of the new turf going in

newturf-apr27.jpg

So in the end zones, do they cut out the outline of the MINNESOTA letters, plop in the gold letters, and stitch them in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too late to put the heating coils back now.

So in the end zones, do they cut out the outline of the MINNESOTA letters, plop in the gold letters, and stitch them in?

I believe that is accurate. Same for the block M, B1G logo, etc.

Too late to put the heating coils back now.

Missed opportunity IMO. Hopefully next time the turf is changed they can get them out of storage and re-install them.

Top Bottom