Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 74 of 74

Thread: Turf Removal

  1. #61

    Default

    Didn't take long to remove the old and put in the new.


  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kasson, MN
    Posts
    1,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GopherJack View Post
    So in the end zones, do they cut out the outline of the MINNESOTA letters, plop in the gold letters, and stitch them in?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Markings are cut and then sealed with an adhesive. No stitching.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Beaver Lodge in Lake Gopher
    Posts
    4,882

    Default

    They should have given a chunk to everybody that has had season tickets since it opened. The Plank Owners, to use the Navy term.

  4. #64

    Default

    The rolls are huge, there are giant totes of the rubber infill, It's pretty much useless to your average Joe. You might be able to cut a piece off for a door mat or something, but that rubber is so messy its not worth it. To the people thinking this can be put back together as a field for a high school; it would cost hundreds of thousands to do. You need a properly constructed base and everything would nee to be stitched back together, top dressed with rubber, and groomed. Plus its already been stomped on for a few years by the Gophers, MNUFC, and worst of all- the U of M marching band.

    Synthetic field turf is not low maintenance. It needs to be groomed and top dressed with rubber on a regular basis. It has a lifespan of about 10 years, a quality constructed field costs around 1 Million. Its good for football and that's about it. Natural turf is better and cheaper playing surface 90% of the time. Getting those rubber bits in your eye is the worst!

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,565
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TurfGopher View Post
    The rolls are huge, there are giant totes of the rubber infill, It's pretty much useless to your average Joe. You might be able to cut a piece off for a door mat or something, but that rubber is so messy its not worth it. To the people thinking this can be put back together as a field for a high school; it would cost hundreds of thousands to do. You need a properly constructed base and everything would nee to be stitched back together, top dressed with rubber, and groomed. Plus its already been stomped on for a few years by the Gophers, MNUFC, and worst of all- the U of M marching band.

    Synthetic field turf is not low maintenance. It needs to be groomed and top dressed with rubber on a regular basis. It has a lifespan of about 10 years, a quality constructed field costs around 1 Million. Its good for football and that's about it. Natural turf is better and cheaper playing surface 90% of the time. Getting those rubber bits in your eye is the worst!
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not sure why they would have installed turf they knew was going to be in for two years that has a ten year life span without a plan on how to get it out in a reusable condition. AT&T Stadium has three artificial turfs they switch between based on events (not to mention removing it completely for certain events). They come out in 10 yard segments. Gillette (an outdoor stadium) also has multiple turfs (at least two - NFL and MLS) that they switch between. Why would the Gophers not have done a similar design when they knew they were replacing it with 80% of its usable life left?

    As far as the base, etc., many high schools already have artificial turf, I'm sure this is in better shape than several of those schools. Others would potentially invest if the total bill was low enough (in other words, not paying for the actual turf might be enough to make it doable).

    Nobody said it would be free for a school to convert over to this field. But some schools would still jump at the opportunity if the turf itself was free.

  6. #66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeville Goldy View Post
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not sure why they would have installed turf they knew was going to be in for two years that has a ten year life span without a plan on how to get it out in a reusable condition. AT&T Stadium has three artificial turfs they switch between based on events (not to mention removing it completely for certain events). They come out in 10 yard segments. Gillette (an outdoor stadium) also has multiple turfs (at least two - NFL and MLS) that they switch between. Why would the Gophers not have done a similar design when they knew they were replacing it with 80% of its usable life left?

    As far as the base, etc., many high schools already have artificial turf, I'm sure this is in better shape than several of those schools. Others would potentially invest if the total bill was low enough (in other words, not paying for the actual turf might be enough to make it doable).

    Nobody said it would be free for a school to convert over to this field. But some schools would still jump at the opportunity if the turf itself was free.
    Assuming it has 80% of its usable life left.... I'm not sure that preserving it (assuming that is a thing here) would be worth it. It's not always as simple as "could still use it so that means we should", sometimes the utility just isn't there. It could be as simple as going the Gillette or someone else's route is more costly than say what you get out of the 80%.

  7. #67

    Default

    Sorry to bring up a dead topic but we just finished setting up our bocce ball court using the removed TCF turf and are pretty excited. Working on adding end zones and a block M. It's in the middle of our biergarten for anyone in the Fergus Falls area this fall.

    IMG_20190820_153839337_HDR.jpg

  8. #68

    Default

    Looks great - awesome idea!

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New River, AZ
    Posts
    5,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeville Goldy View Post
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not sure why they would have installed turf they knew was going to be in for two years that has a ten year life span without a plan on how to get it out in a reusable condition. AT&T Stadium has three artificial turfs they switch between based on events (not to mention removing it completely for certain events). They come out in 10 yard segments. Gillette (an outdoor stadium) also has multiple turfs (at least two - NFL and MLS) that they switch between. Why would the Gophers not have done a similar design when they knew they were replacing it with 80% of its usable life left?

    As far as the base, etc., many high schools already have artificial turf, I'm sure this is in better shape than several of those schools. Others would potentially invest if the total bill was low enough (in other words, not paying for the actual turf might be enough to make it doable).

    Nobody said it would be free for a school to convert over to this field. But some schools would still jump at the opportunity if the turf itself was free.
    Turf today is not the turf of yore. It would be cost prohibitive to carefully remove the 10” of rubber and sand that is between each blade just to save the “grass” part. Not worth the effort on a big scale. Cheaper to buy new and use out its full life.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

  10. #70

    Default

    Anyone ever figure out if they put heating coils back in when they replaced the turf?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

  11. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fergusbeerguy View Post
    Sorry to bring up a dead topic but we just finished setting up our bocce ball court using the removed TCF turf and are pretty excited. Working on adding end zones and a block M. It's in the middle of our biergarten for anyone in the Fergus Falls area this fall.

    IMG_20190820_153839337_HDR.jpg

    I assume you guys got the heating Coyles too?

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,565
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    Turf today is not the turf of yore. It would be cost prohibitive to carefully remove the 10” of rubber and sand that is between each blade just to save the “grass” part. Not worth the effort on a big scale. Cheaper to buy new and use out its full life.
    This is exactly what both Dallas and New England do every time they switch fields. At Dallas, that means any college game, concert, soccer game, boxing match, etc. New England I know switches between soccer and football, not sure if they have a third field or what they do for concerts, etc.

    They literally vacuum the rubber pellets, roll the turf up, put the alternate turf down, drop the pellets and use a tractor with essentially a rake on the back to evenly spread the rubber. They do it multiple times a season (I've seen it in person at AT&T). They do not have "turf of yore".

  13. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fergusbeerguy View Post
    Sorry to bring up a dead topic but we just finished setting up our bocce ball court using the removed TCF turf and are pretty excited. Working on adding end zones and a block M. It's in the middle of our biergarten for anyone in the Fergus Falls area this fall.

    IMG_20190820_153839337_HDR.jpg
    Nice. I wish my bocce ball court at work looked that good. Ours is basically a gravel pit that shifts each time it rains.
    "A lot of guys look good running around in underwear." - 414GopherFan

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Corn Field
    Posts
    23,689

    Default

    Nice

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •