Oh no, Coyle, you didn't! (Did you?)

This is being talked about in the NFL. Just one case is my neighbor: 39 years old, he and wife work from home and have 4 kids. The entire family goes nuts for sports and wear seasonal gear per teams playing. Both U of M grads too. They have their friends over every Sunday for the Vikes and often for other teams. They would never even dream of going to a stadium...would wreck their entertainment experience. They have all the pay per view channels and love the "having friends over for games". This is increasing and at some point you are correct that tickets could be free to very cheap. Way too much work and hassle to park, wait to leave and keeping track of the kids. Even my own kids who started at the dome and been to road games are saying "ehh, TV better plus I can have my friends over and grill". The whole thing is close to life support especially in our market. Sad.

Sports have in large part have made it really difficult for families to go to games which means you have a lot of kids growing up not really knowing what it is like to go to sporting events on a regular basis.

I have a family of 5 and for us to go to a professional sporting event we are looking at a few hundred dollars per game by the time we get tickets, parking, food..... As much as we would love to go to sporting events on a regular basis it just isn't realistic to drop that kind of money more then a few times a year.

Sports have in large part have made it really difficult for families to go to games which means you have a lot of kids growing up not really knowing what it is like to go to sporting events on a regular basis.

I have a family of 5 and for us to go to a professional sporting event we are looking at a few hundred dollars per game by the time we get tickets, parking, food..... As much as we would love to go to sporting events on a regular basis it just isn't realistic to drop that kind of money more then a few times a year.

Ditto.

Except we drop that kind of money maybe once a year on sports. Last time we had all six of us at the same football game was the opener against TCU.

JTG

Yes, it is shifting costs for the season ticket holder but if the U only has to share the ticket revenue and not the scholarship donations it's a substantial net gain.

The goal with lowering the bench seats to $340 (or $20/game based on a 17 game schedule) is that that have fewer single game seats to sell.

Ok, so why call it a ticket price-decrease. At best that is a disingenuous statement, or as is crack AD is wont to do, a fabrication that confuses and angers the fans.

I thought. Tell people the truth. Tell fans we’re shifting the cost to improve revenue for the Gopher programs. Some may not like the situation, but at least the can make decisions based on the truth.

We don’t need help driving people away Mr. Coyle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Snake [emoji216] at his best. Lying, twisting and manipulating without really caring about the fans. Welcome to UMN politics 101.

Ok, so why call it a ticket price-decrease. At best that is a disingenuous statement, or as is crack AD is wont to do, a fabrication that confuses and angers the fans.

I thought. Tell people the truth. Tell fans we’re shifting the cost to improve revenue for the Gopher programs. Some may not like the situation, but at least the can make decisions based on the truth.

Same story here with MC. I honestly don’t think he is smart enough to realize people can see through his nonsense. As an Alum I find it embarrassing.

Did ticket prices increase or decrease?

To me the ticket price is actually what I end up paying for the ticket. Think of concert tickets. If I get 2 tickets (one for me, one for a friend) and they are listed as $50 tickets, but then when I check out I had to pay $140 total (really not far-fetched with Ticketmaster) then I am going to ask my friend to pay me $70 - the price of the ticket. Venues can play games with the "price", but to me the price is what I end up paying.

The prices came down for all but the best seats, and even those just stayed the same. Why are you all so butt hurt? Jfc calm down.

Did ticket prices increase or decrease?

I understand you likely feel pot-committed on your blind support of Coyle, but even a poor poker player realizes at some point when his hand is a guaranteed loser and stops investing more. Just stop defending and justifying this nonsense. It’s OK.

I understand you likely feel pot-committed on your blind support of Coyle, but even a poor poker player realizes at some point when his hand is a guaranteed loser and stops investing more. Just stop defending and justifying this nonsense. It’s OK.

My guy, you're complaining about the thing we were all asking for.
The prices came down across the board. For the best seats, they added back the balance as a donation.

It's not like they were being sneaky about it. The writer of this article was just trying to flame Minnesota and you're jumping all over it.

Prices next year will be lower for most seats across most sports.
I don't think prices for any of them went up.

This is a W for the Gopher community. Why can't we just be happy with it?

People who were in the expensive seats probably aren't the ones that were upset with the high prices to begin with.
They are less price sensitive, and they weren't the ones getting squeezed out of the stadium.

Last edited:

You didn't answer my very simple question.

You didn't answer my very simple question.

Some decreased. More stayed the same. The ones that stayed the same had money shifted from one shell to the other so it could be presented different than reality. SOP.

Some decreased. More stayed the same. The ones that stayed the same had money shifted from one shell to the other so it could be presented different than reality. SOP.

So overall prices decreased or stayed the same. Where is the lie?

People who were in the expensive seats probably aren't the ones that were upset with the high prices to begin with.
They are less price sensitive, and they weren't the ones getting squeezed out of the stadium.

If you think attendance isn’t an issue in the “expensive seats” then you aren’t paying attention.

If you think attendance isn’t an issue in the “expensive seats” then you aren’t paying attention.

Yeah, that's fair, I've been at the games. I just think y'all are making a big deal out of this for no reason. It's not like he increased prices on anybody.
Perhaps there's even a tax deduction available on those donations now which will save people some money.
I don't think they were trying to be sneaky. I just think they're trying to get their financial house in order.

So overall prices decreased or stayed the same. Where is the lie?

Who said it was a lie?
I said it is presented in a misleading way - SOP for this administration. Just like top 25 recruiting class, winningest first year coach since 1954, etc. A lie would be more like saying we won 4 of 5 down the stretch, had the best back-to-back recruiting classes in school history, we are the 2nd youngest team in America, or that PJ took a pay cut to come here. There is a difference.

Yeah, that's fair, I've been at the games. I just think y'all are making a big deal out of this for no reason. It's not like he increased prices on anybody.
Perhaps there's even a tax deduction available on those donations now which will save people some money.
I don't think they were trying to be sneaky. I just think they're trying to get their financial house in order.

And your point is fair too. Our difference is I do think they are trying to be sneaky. I have seen too much evidence of that with this AD. The fact some seats were reduced is good.

Who said it was a lie?
I said it is presented in a misleading way - SOP for this administration. Just like top 25 recruiting class, winningest first year coach since 1954, etc. A lie would be more like saying we won 4 of 5 down the stretch, had the best back-to-back recruiting classes in school history, we are the 2nd youngest team in America, or that PJ took a pay cut to come here. There is a difference.

So you're on record saying that Coyle is not a liar?

So you're on record saying that Coyle is not a liar?

That would be a bizarre thing to go on the record about. He could go on the record saying "I believe Coyle is a liar" or "I believe Coyle is not a liar".

I'll go on the record, I think Coyle is intentionally deceptive to push an agenda.

That would be a bizarre thing to go on the record about. He could go on the record saying "I believe Coyle is a liar" or "I believe Coyle is not a liar".

I’ll go on the record, I think Coyle is intentionally deceptive to push an agenda.

I don’t think you should actual go this far. There’s enough evidence to say he’s just plain inept.

Last edited:

I'll go on the record, I think Coyle is intentionally deceptive to push an agenda.

What agenda? Selling and promoting a program that has been down for 50 years, but is finally showing signs of life?

What agenda? Selling and promoting a program that has been down for 50 years, but is finally showing signs of life?

OK. How about we go with, “Intentionally deceptive in attempts to sell and promote a program that has been down for much of the last 50-years, but is currently showing signs of life.” I’ll go on record as thinking that.

I don’t think you should actual go this far. There’s enough evidence to say he’s just plain inept.

Being intentionally deceptive and plain inept are not mutually exclusive. We got a 2-for. I’d argue it is the inept part that makes him believe he can be deceptive and no one will notice.

OK. How about we go with, “Intentionally deceptive in attempts to sell and promote a program that has been down for much of the last 50-years, but is currently showing signs of life.” I’ll go on record as thinking that.

Then why do you continue to complain about Coyle? If that's your stance, then you shouldn't have a problem with him trying to sell tickets and promote the program.

Then why do you continue to complain about Coyle? If that's your stance, then you shouldn't have a problem with him trying to sell tickets and promote the program.

Good Night.

I don't think it's about lying or not lying. I see it as a matter of perception, and a ham-handed attempt by the athletic department to frame the story.

again - there is a difference in perception between "Gophers cut season ticket prices" and "Gophers lower season-ticket prices for least popular seats."

Both are technically true. But, I think the second version is much more accurate. Gopher Lady said in a tweet that the whole point of the change was to get people to buy season tickets for seats that are currently sitting empty on game day.

That's a good idea. getting new fans to buy season tickets is a good idea. If they would have just presented it that way, no one would have had a problem.

But - someone at the U - Coyle or someone else - decided to present it as "Gophers cut season ticket prices." that led people to think everyone was getting a price break, when in fact, it was a price shift for the majority of season ticket buyers with lower season ticket prices but an increase in the scholarship donation.

That is the point - that the U chose to present this in a fashion that appeared to be misleading. Why not just be straight-up with people off the bat?

I am not arguing with the policy. I'm questioning the public-relations aspect of the policy.

Because approximately 4000 seats at Williams Arena were price reduced.

Are there really people in this thread bent out of shape by an organization trying to frame something in a way that makes it appear more appealing?

Are some going to try and pretend that this is something exclusive to the U of M and not something that happens all the time across all walks of life?

As has been pointed out in this thread, if Coyle or the department came out and flat out lied about the cost of tickets then there might be something to get all butt hurt about but if the issue is just the way it is presented then people need to grow up. Spin is just a fact of life, everyone frames things in the way they feel will best support their goal.

I guess I just don't understand how this was so misleading, unless someone saw a headline and thought by default every seat would be cheaper, which would be silly on the part of the reader.

Here's the press release, it specifically calls out which sections (how many in each zone) get cheaper for bball and hockey and then notes that no seats will increase in cost - a reasonable reader can infer that the remaining sections will be the same total price as last year. https://gophersports.com/news/2019/...nnounced-for-mens-basketball-mens-hockey.aspx

Here's the tweet, it says "starting at", highlights the decrease in the starting price specifically, and calls out the seats that don't require a donation - a reasonable reader can infer that the non-donation seats are the ones getting cheaper. https://twitter.com/GopherSports/status/1118925367018950659

What type of organization would put out a press release on their own behalf saying "Gopher Sports keeps some ticket pricing the same?" when the real story is that they lowered the price for a bunch of tickets and made it easier to get in the door. That would make zero sense.

Top Bottom