Isaiah Ihnen Commits to Gophers

Maybe the asst AD quote..."we know he can recruit" wasn't hyperbole?

Anyway...ecstatic Ihnen is a Gopher! I think it is possible he can make an impact as a freshman. It's in there...how soon he flourishes is the question.
He and Freeman have big upside potential! Freeman may take a bit, but you never know...

:clap: Go Gophers! Minnesota! Minnesota!

At 6’9” and 190 what positions would he play year 1? That’s sounds a bit light for a b1g pf.

ich bin ein golden gopher

Really? Most teams play four perimeter guys and a big, who is often more like a traditional 4. People need to get over this numbering of players in such a traditional way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? Most teams play four perimeter guys and a big, who is often more like a traditional 4. People need to get over this numbering of players in such a traditional way.

Comment directed at me or pitino? I’d be fine if pitino did what you suggest above. He seems to favor more interchangeable 4s and 5s though

did you see the guy's quote in 247's story?

"I think I will help them for sure with my shooting because they weren't a good shooting team last season and just my versatility," Ihnen said.

That's a cool looking jumper he's got. Flick of the wrist and high release. You need to get a late game shot and that's pretty hard to stop. I have to believe he sized up our roster and saw minutes this coming year, with or without Coffey. With Coffey he's a backup 4 and without Coffey he may be forced into bigger minutes against certain teams at the 3. Put on some muscle and we are cooking!! Love this! I am so excited for the future of this team!

Great pickup. We seem to have salvaged the class. But we still could use a guard.

Come now built.

Good or poor recruit, based on built standards?

We know that the coach always tells it like it is. No sugar coating and all that frosting. Isiah must have appreciated his straight forward information.

All of the negative Coach Pitino haters should start apologizing. This class is very good and could get even better. The future looks really good. I'll even make a prediction that Coach Pitino starts landing some of the top in-state recruits in the next few years. Congratulations to the Gopher staff and Coach Pitino for landing some very good recruits. Looking forward to Gopher basketball getting better and better.

Pretty sure Pitino isn't too worried about any apology from some doofus on the internet--sort of like he wasn't too impressed because some doofus said he could come back and coach next year.

Come now built.

Good or poor recruit, based on built standards?

How would i know, i only go on who i have seen in person and no one gets them all right. Most players we have to wait and see how they do. There were some good coaches who offered, that is a decent sign. I love that he wants to be here. When you say "built standards " do you mean kids i scouted previously that i recommended or kids with big offer lists ? Never hung up on blue blood offers but i do look for certain coach offers because i know what they look for.

We know that the coach always tells it like it is. No sugar coating and all that frosting. Isiah must have appreciated his straight forward information.

I love that about Pitino. Every recruit I have heard talk about the pitch, says that they were not promised X amount of playing time, only an opportunity. Demir says that it was that way as well. It's the tougher way to sell, but it's the right way. I hope we are on the verge of putting together a solid, deep roster that will make it easier to get the hometown kids that are great in the future.

Come on back for another year Amir, make yourself into the first rounder you can be. Let's rock and roll! I am feeling some great vibes on this program. Some of it is based on the toughness I saw down the stretch and some of it is based on the nice recruiting class that is shaping up.

Pretty sure Pitino isn't too worried about any apology from some doofus on the internet--sort of like he wasn't too impressed because some doofus said he could come back and coach next year.

Always curious who these Pitino haters are. Are they people that have met him and do not like him or are they labeled haters if they are frustrated by a mediocre 6 year conference record ? What if one of us likes him, dislikes the off the court behaviors early on, hates the losing and is a long way away from thinking he is a great coach but still wanted him back. Is that a hater ? Who votes on such matters.

How would i know, i only go on who i have seen in person and no one gets them all right. Most players we have to wait and see how they do. There were some good coaches who offered, that is a decent sign. I love that he wants to be here. When you say "built standards " do you mean kids i scouted previously that i recommended or kids with big offer lists ? Never hung up on blue blood offers but i do look for certain coach offers because i know what they look for.

Wait and see how they do? You have told us repeatedly about the tenets of recruiting. Wait and see was not a part of it.

I mean regarding the standards you write about here.

Pitino is blunt, Germans are blunt, match made in heaven

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Always curious who these Pitino haters are. Are they people that have met him and do not like him or are they labeled haters if they are frustrated by a mediocre 6 year conference record ? What if one of us likes him, dislikes the off the court behaviors early on, hates the losing and is a long way away from thinking he is a great coach but still wanted him back. Is that a hater ? Who votes on such matters.

Wait and see how they do? You have told us repeatedly about the tenets of recruiting. Wait and see was not a part of it.

Can we keep this about the young man who just decided to come here

I’m really pumped about Isaiah because he has athleticism, length and SHOOTING skills. How many athletic 6’9” guys have we had that can shoot? This team desperately needed to improve its jump-shooting. With the addition of Carr, Willis and Ihnen, we’ve done that.

Comment directed at me or pitino? I’d be fine if pitino did what you suggest above. He seems to favor more interchangeable 4s and 5s though

I think that was dictated by Murphy. Too good to take off the floor, too small to guard a big. We will see...

:) As for me- I don't consider you a hater, I think you know what you are talking about and you want the best for the Gophers. I like that. I know you want to see championships, as do I and others here. But you take a lot of shots at Pitino, when they are not needed. Some when they are needed. That's fine, it's an opinion board. But people will offer their opinion right back.

I am realistic about the process. It is going to take a few years of sustained moderate success, (make the NCAAs) followed by a breakthrough, followed by sustained success at a higher level. I see flaws in Pitino, but at 36 years old, I also see a lot of growth. I think if he gets Coffey back and has reasonable luck with injuries- this will be his best roster top to bottom. I think Pitino can get this done. Coffey back? I see top 6 in the Big Ten +/- 2 spots depending on how the other teams fill out in the off season.

Ihnen has huge upside. I have no idea how B1G ready he is, but could be one of the best players in the conference in a couple of years. I wasn't real excited about him when I first heard we were recruiting him, but I am now.

per Marcus:

Ihnen, who visited Texas Christian over the weekend, said that Pitino and Minnesota's coaching staff was able to keep him from signing with TCU with a great sales pitch on his potential position with the Gophers.

"I'll have the opportunity to start," Ihnen said. "They would use me as a wing, but as my skills evolve maybe even as a guard, similar to (Amir) Coffey. (Pitino’s) not afraid to play me at PG. He already did it with Coffey.”

The Gophers could use Ihnen next season as a forward, but down the line they hope he could become more like a taller and longer version of Coffey, a 6-8 junior floor leader who led the Gophers in scoring and assists this year.

“I could have a big opportunity to have the ball in my hands,” Ihnen said the Gophers told him. “I’ll be used on the perimeter and occasionally in the post to make use of mismatches.”

Ihnen, who first told 247Sports.com's Evan Daniels about his commitment late Tuesday afternoon, is an up-and-coming 19-year-old prospect at Germany’s International Basketball Academy of Munich (IBAM). He had early scholarship offers from Tennessee and Stanford, but Ihnen narrowed his decision to the Horned Frogs and Gophers after they made him a priority this spring.

Daniels tweeted Tuesday that Ihnen has moved up to four-star status and No. 89 in 247Sports.com's 2019 rankings, which makes him the top recruit in Pitino's incoming class. The class also includes four-star Wasatch Academy (Utah) guard Tre' Williams and three-star 6-10 Northwest (Texas) center Sam Freeman.

“Isaiah has good size, length and athleticism for a versatile forward,” Daniels told the Star Tribune. “I think he’s a multi-positional defender who plays hard. He’s a good athlete. He’s able to stretch the floor a little – and there’s a lot of upside here. I think he can be a mismatch problem. With his physical tools, he’s a really good prospect.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...rospect-isaiah-ihnen-to-2019-class/508968842/

Go Gophers!!

210 lbs! FF here we come, Izzwho?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

If i knew anything about him, had talked to coaches i know about him or had seen him in person i would offer my opinion. If you want a guess based on edited film i would say the upside of a Diakite that will take some time. It would be great to know his wingspan as opposed to his height. It would be great if he plays to his eyes, how fast is his second jump, is his game mature, does he make others better, can he guard 3 positions. Then i would have a better guess. Right now i can welcome him as the staff saw enough they like on their timeline that other coaches did not feel the need to offer. So welcome young man, even though your not from the state !

Top Bottom