Isaiah Ihnen Commits to Gophers

If i knew anything about him, had talked to coaches i know about him or had seen him in person i would offer my opinion. If you want a guess based on edited film i would say the upside of a Diakite that will take some time. It would be great to know his wingspan as opposed to his height. It would be great if he plays to his eyes, how fast is his second jump, is his game mature, does he make others better, can he guard 3 positions. Then i would have a better guess. Right now i can welcome him as the staff saw enough they like on their timeline that other coaches did not feel the need to offer. So welcome young man, even though your not from the state !

7-4 wingspan, reportedly.

7-4 is outstanding. As a frame of reference Hunter of UVA was at 7-3 and he was national defensive player of the year. Mchale was at 7-11. Jerry West was a 6'4 guard with a 7'7 wing ! Casey Morsell is a incoming frosh that is 6'2 with a 7 foot span. Tayshaun Prince had a 7-6 wing span. This will be a top 3 wing span in the conference. Can lead to a player that is dominant defender, especially versatile if other skills match up.

All of the negative Coach Pitino haters should start apologizing. This class is very good and could get even better. The future looks really good. I'll even make a prediction that Coach Pitino starts landing some of the top in-state recruits in the next few years. Congratulations to the Gopher staff and Coach Pitino for landing some very good recruits. Looking forward to Gopher basketball getting better and better.

Great news! Looks like a very good recruiting class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When hell freezes over! Pitino still owes us fans. Don't forget that. This is a start.

Pitino doesn’t owe you sh!t! You just lack the confidence to enjoy the team.

Always curious who these Pitino haters are. Are they people that have met him and do not like him or are they labeled haters if they are frustrated by a mediocre 6 year conference record ? What if one of us likes him, dislikes the off the court behaviors early on, hates the losing and is a long way away from thinking he is a great coach but still wanted him back. Is that a hater ? Who votes on such matters.

Don’t be so innocent. It includes the ones who never say anything positive, don’t acknowledge that he has learned from those early years, always assume the worst and take ever opportunity to criticize the program.

Don’t be so innocent. It includes the ones who never say anything positive, don’t acknowledge that he has learned from those early years, always assume the worst and take ever opportunity to criticize the program.

So your the judge on such things ! I will praise when i see it earned and have celebrated successes. But i will fly blindly to when the job has been done poorly or pretend that the program or the coach are great or even good until it meets what i expect. What is my sentence for that approach ?

I am truly excited about this signing. Hope he gets the Green Light from Pitino and he never loses his confidence. He has a sweet stroke.

Welcome to MN. We want you here. Glad you are a player who wants to be here.

One step closer to my sign on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome news to hear. Definitely changes the outlook of the recruiting class compared to yesterday.

I really hope this means we are going to be less stuck on always using traditional PF/C sets. This kid would look really good next to traditional post player.

Let's open up the offense and give guys like Carr, Coffey and Oturu more room to operate.

Great news for the program. Sounds a very high upside kind of player who can help stretch the floor. Will need someone besides Oturu to make up for Murphy’s boarding, but I’m excited for Ihnen!

Great news...welcome to the U!

I don't get how someone can be 6'9 and 190. I'm 6'3" and 190 and people often comment on how thin I am and implore me to gain weight.

I don't get how someone can be 6'9 and 190. I'm 6'3" and 190 and people often comment on how thin I am and implore me to gain weight.

Well, he is 18 and likely still growing. Also, Marcus Fuller tweeted an update that he is already up to 210 now and will likely gain another 10-15 after he hits the college training table this summer.

Going from one 3 point shooter to 4 will really open up the game. This class is looking good all of a sudden.

Anas Osama Mahmoud when we were recruiting him was 190 at 7-1.

Brandon Ingram in HS was 6-9, 167.

I really hope this means we are going to be less stuck on always using traditional PF/C sets. This kid would look really good next to traditional post player.

Let's open up the offense and give guys like Carr, Coffey and Oturu more room to operate.

Yep. This is my hope as well, and what Pitino has espoused in the past. The challenge was Murphy was limited offensively, and not big enough to guard a big, so he was kind of stuck.

Man, this team is going to be unrecognizable next year, with or without Coffey. Floor spacing and a natural point guard? What is this craziness!

All of the negative Coach Pitino haters should start apologizing.

Who in this forum "hates" Coach Pitino? Name names.

What do you call hating? Speaking one's mind about his performance?

And apologize for what?

Built is very, very good at it.

If Builtbadgers removed the italicized portion of his name, maybe people would realize how fortunate we are to have a knowledgeable poster on this board.

Try to keep top the subject.

Isaiah Ihnen
6'9"
210 lbs.
7'4" wingspan
Range out to 3 and beyond, decent handle, ability to drive to the hole.

Well, he is 18 and likely still growing. Also, Marcus Fuller tweeted an update that he is already up to 210 now and will likely gain another 10-15 after he hits the college training table this summer.

Thought I read somewhere that he’s 19.

Yes! This is great news to read this morning. Is it next season yet?

It seems to me (until NCAA yet again changes rule), spring recruiting is fertile ground. Especially compared to several years ago. Not just for MN, but any major program. So many kids decide in the spring or decide to transfer, that there are many options. I think when folks start to comment about the lack of recruiting success in March, its akin to commenting about how you're pissed that we are losing the game 5 minutes into the second half. Let the damn game play out before we make too many judgements.

Pitino doesn’t owe you sh!t! You just lack the confidence to enjoy the team.

Actually, he does owe the fans something. He hasn't delivered two consecutive good years yet. If he does that this year, he will have made a convincing case that he has turned the corner into a coach who can deliver a quality product with some consistency.

You're almost right about the second point, though. I don't see the wisdom of having unbridled optimism before the fact given this coach's track record for his first six years. But, that's a "trust" issue rather than an "enjoyment" issue. I can enjoy the team because of the new faces and holdovers like Daniel, Gabe, and possibly Jarvis if he can develop a little more in his second year.

Top Bottom