Pitino Tweet!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Big time commit! He's rated as a 4 star on 247 sports. Pitino continues his hot streak of good recruiting in the spring. Hope we land the grad transfer from Drexel next.

Welcome, Isaiah! One Isaiah out, and one in...

Nice

Good get positive news

As it stands(lots of moving parts out there still) Minnesota has the 5th best recruiting class in the B1G and 36th nationally. For reference we finished with the 8th best class in the B1G last year and 45th overall per 247.

Great news. Let's hope Demir is tomorrow! Need em both. Welcome aboard Isaiah Ihnen!!

As it stands(lots of moving parts out there still) Minnesota has the 5th best recruiting class in the B1G and 36th nationally. For reference we finished with the 8th best class in the B1G last year and 45th overall per 247.

Just curious, but by what standard? Is it average star level, number of bodies, etc.? Knowing how they rate gives some context. It is hard for me to believe our recruiting would be that high with two fringe top 100 guys and one on almost no one's radar. But if it's accurate, that's great.

Just curious, but by what standard? Is it average star level, number of bodies, etc.? Knowing how they rate gives some context. It is hard for me to believe our recruiting would be that high with two fringe top 100 guys and one on almost no one's radar. But if it's accurate, that's great.

So I believe that 247 gives each player a certain number of points that they come up with based off of ranking and offers. Those points are summed and that's how they rank teams. So to answer your question, yes more bodies will likely result in a higher team ranking. But still, 247 has "generously" ranked our commits. Our average commit ranking this year is .91 versus roughly .93 from last year. I have some reservations about how highly ranked Ihnen and Freeman are by 247 but who knows! I hope they are big time contributors and we won't be debating recruiting rankings in a couple of years.

Screenshot_20190423-164554_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

per Marcus:

Ihnen, who visited Texas Christian over the weekend, said that Pitino and Minnesota's coaching staff was able to keep him from signing with TCU with a great sales pitch on his potential position with the Gophers.

"I'll have the opportunity to start," Ihnen said. "They would use me as a wing, but as my skills evolve maybe even as a guard, similar to (Amir) Coffey. (Pitino’s) not afraid to play me at PG. He already did it with Coffey.”

The Gophers could use Ihnen next season as a forward, but down the line they hope he could become more like a taller and longer version of Coffey, a 6-8 junior floor leader who led the Gophers in scoring and assists this year.

“I could have a big opportunity to have the ball in my hands,” Ihnen said the Gophers told him. “I’ll be used on the perimeter and occasionally in the post to make use of mismatches.”

Ihnen, who first told 247Sports.com's Evan Daniels about his commitment late Tuesday afternoon, is an up-and-coming 19-year-old prospect at Germany’s International Basketball Academy of Munich (IBAM). He had early scholarship offers from Tennessee and Stanford, but Ihnen narrowed his decision to the Horned Frogs and Gophers after they made him a priority this spring.

Daniels tweeted Tuesday that Ihnen has moved up to four-star status and No. 89 in 247Sports.com's 2019 rankings, which makes him the top recruit in Pitino's incoming class. The class also includes four-star Wasatch Academy (Utah) guard Tre' Williams and three-star 6-10 Northwest (Texas) center Sam Freeman.

“Isaiah has good size, length and athleticism for a versatile forward,” Daniels told the Star Tribune. “I think he’s a multi-positional defender who plays hard. He’s a good athlete. He’s able to stretch the floor a little – and there’s a lot of upside here. I think he can be a mismatch problem. With his physical tools, he’s a really good prospect.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...rospect-isaiah-ihnen-to-2019-class/508968842/

Go Gophers!!

Congrats to both Isaiah Ihnen and Richard Pitino!

Wow - what if Amir Coffey decides to return for another year? Think of the suddenly loaded team with or without Coffey.

Wow - what if Amir Coffey decides to return for another year? Think of the suddenly loaded team with or without Coffey.

Without? Hardly.

I don't think we're screwed without Coffey, but we're certainly not loaded

I do think with return of Coffey we're top half of B1G and top 5 potential

Doogie chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

per the U:

Isaiah Ihnen Inks NLI with Gophers

University of Minnesota head men's basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Wednesday the addition of Isaiah Ihnen, as the 6-9 forward from Boeblingen, Germany signed his National Letter of Intent to join the Gophers next season.

"We are very excited about the addition of Isaiah to our program," Pitino said. "He's extremely versatile on the court and can play multiple positions."

Ihnen is rated the No. 89-ranked prospect in the class of 2019 according to 247Sports, who also lists him as a four-star recruit. He is the second four-star recruit among the Gophers' signing class, joining fall signee Tre' Williams (Dallas, Texas/Wasatch Academy [Utah]).

This past season, Ihnen played for the International Basketball Academy Munich (IBAM) team, where he averaged 13.6 points, 8.3 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.5 steals and 1.0 blocks per game while shooting 54.3 percent from the field and 35.2 percent from beyond the 3-point arc. Ihnen is the team's top rebounder, second-leading shot blocker and third-leading scorer.

"His potential is off the charts," Pitino added. "We expect Isaiah to come in and make a great impact on and off the court right when he steps on campus."

Ihnen adds to the recruiting class that includes Williams and Sam Freeman (Dallas, Texas/Northwest HS), along with fellow newcomers Marcus Carr (Toronto, Ontario/Montverde Academy) and Payton Willis (Fayetteville, Ark./Fayetteville), who redshirted the 2018-19 season after transferring from Pittsburgh and Vanderbilt, respectively.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom