Northwestern and Note Dame football implicated in basketball bribery case

You forgot the other schools names in the report.

Marty Blazer, a Pittsburgh-area financial adviser and government witness, testified Tuesday in New York — according to tweets from reporters covering the trial — that from 2000 to 2014, he gave cash to football players from seven schools: Notre Dame, Northwestern, Michigan, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Alabama and North Carolina.

Marty Blazer, a Pittsburgh-area financial adviser and government witness, testified Tuesday in New York — according to tweets from reporters covering the trial — that from 2000 to 2014, he gave cash to football players from seven schools: Notre Dame, Northwestern, Michigan, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Alabama and North Carolina.

Fry them all!

Nick?

Unc?

Impossible.

Dammit. this is unacceptable. The NCAA needs to put Cleveland State on probation immediately.

Plausible deniability unless the government witness has actual evidence. Is he testifying as a plea deal to lessen the charges he’s facing?

Considering the money involved these days and the schools/conferences pushing for the widening of sports betting and it’s a wonder the game hasn’t devolved into a missed calls, bad calls. Wait a minute...

In light of today’s pity party in regards to the lack of big dollar compensation to athletes one can see possible scenarios where valuable information could be sold to interested bettors, or of athletes engaging in Pete Rose style antics including betting on one’s own game.

From reading the article, it's my understanding that this was an investor bribing athletes for his own purposes. He was hoping that if the players later turn pro they would choose him to be their advisor.

Unless coaches or administrators were involved, I don't see how the schools would be in trouble. The schools don't seem to be involved in the payola. But maybe I missed something.

From reading the article, it's my understanding that this was an investor bribing athletes for his own purposes. He was hoping that if the players later turn pro they would choose him to be their advisor.

Unless coaches or administrators were involved, I don't see how the schools would be in trouble. The schools don't seem to be involved in the payola. But maybe I missed something.

You didn’t, unless there were conversations and collaboration/steering between this guy and a coach, eg what allegedly happened at USC leading to the gigantic sanctions. But, the NCAA doesn’t require reasonable proof (like the EOAA) and makes its own rules as it goes along and makes curious rulings all the time that appear “influenced” from the peanut gallery. I doubt this leads anywhere if no names at programs were dropped.

Wether it's true or not, I am 100% certain that absolutely nothing will become of this.

Well there always is the chance that those teams have to retroactively forfeit their wins. You can't use ineligible players whether you know they are or not.

ESPN has this on college football tab but It's buried. Not even the lead story there. It's the 5th story behind
"Fisher plans to stay at A&M after AD's departure"

Top Bottom