Omaha World Herald; Brohm and Frost are the future of Big Ten West

swingman

Reaction score
column by Sam Mckewon

LINCOLN — The big-picture Big Ten football story of the spring didn’t come during a glorified scrimmage.

It arrived a few days after Purdue’s April 6 spring game, when the school announced a new seven-year, $36.8 million deal with head coach Jeff Brohm.

Brohm, 13-13 with the Boilermakers, wisely rebuffed a return to his alma mater, scandal-ridden Louisville, to become the league’s second-highest paid coach, just ahead of Nebraska’s Scott Frost. Brohm will make $5.35 million next season.

That’s Purdue’s coach. Purdue. I’ve been to Purdue when the program wasn’t any good. It was four years ago, when the collective mind of Husker nation touched the void as Nebraska lost to the 2-10 Boilermakers, 55-45. There were about nine Purdue fans there that day. It felt like the particularly sad moment in most Simon and Garfunkel songs.

Now Purdue is paying its football coach more than Ohio State pays its coach. Purdue signed a top-25 recruiting class in February, including a blue-chip crop of receivers to add to the league’s most explosive player, Rondale Moore.

"Jeff and his staff have done a remarkable job in two years of changing the culture, makeup and trajectory of our program and have boosted the spirit on campus and beyond,” PU Athletic Director Mike Bobinski said.

That 63-14 bowl loss to Auburn didn’t slow down enthusiasm one bit. Purdue opened its new football complex in 2017. In January 2019, it sent out a survey to stakeholders asking for input on eventual renovations to Ross-Ade Stadium, a horseshoe in need of more intimacy and modern touches.

Purdue’s all-in.

So is Minnesota with its new facility and its peppy head coach who does 45-minute opening statements at his press conferences. So is Northwestern, coming off a Big Ten West title with its new lakefront practice palace. You already know where Wisconsin and Iowa stand.

In 2012, the average recruiting rankings of the seven Big Ten West teams, according to the 247Sports composite, was 51.9. Ditto for 2015. In 2019, it was 37.6. Four of the seven made the top 40. Purdue drew the No. 25 class to West Lafayette, Indiana, which should not, on any day, be confused with Miami (No. 28), Arizona State (No. 31) or UCLA (No. 41).

You play out scenarios into the future, and perhaps Nebraska is a half-step or a step ahead. But it isn’t lapping the field like it once did with most of the Big Eight or Big 12 in the 1980s and '90s, when NU took the football fork in the road while schools like Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and Missouri doubled down on basketball.

Nebraska enjoyed profound psychological and physical advantages on the gridiron as a result. From 1980 through 1997, NU played for six national titles, winning three. NU was within one game in 1982, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1989 and 1996 from playing for six more national titles. It lost one game — combined — to KU, KSU, Mizzou and ISU in those 18 seasons. That’s 71-1. Extraordinary!

NU has lost to each of its divisional foes at least once in the last four seasons.

Whatever window NU had to dominate the Big Ten West closed somewhere around the end of the Bo Pelini era and the beginning of the Mike Riley era. While Joel Stave-led Wisconsin cycled through three coaches in four years and Iowa muddled through some of Kirk Ferentz’s weakest seasons, Nebraska plateaued, then regressed.

In 18 short months under Frost, NU’s vibe has changed and its trajectory appears poised to dramatically turn upward. Watching Nebraska’s spring game again last week, you can see the fuller identity — especially on defense — starting to emerge. The Huskers didn’t look so different from Ohio State’s spring game, and frankly looked far better at quarterback.

But I watched Purdue’s spring game, too. The Boilermakers’ defense, which struggled last season, looks ready for a performance jump similar to Nebraska after it beat the offense 53-39 in a modified scoring system. PU’s presumptive starting quarterback, Elijah Sindelar, sat out the spring game, but the Boilermakers’ backups were about on par with Nebraska’s backups. Where PU is weak — a total reset awaits at running back — strengths (like tight end and receiver) can balance it out.

Nebraska and Purdue could be the top two teams in the division when they meet again on Nov. 2.

The Boilermakers might represent NU’s toughest road game in 2019. If it seems funny, consider the other options: Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota and Maryland. Purdue will surely have more than nine fans at the game, too.

And by the time NU and Purdue play on Nov. 2, the Huskers will know exactly what it takes to win the West. Nebraska and Purdue could very easily be the two teams to beat. Or it could be Iowa and Wisconsin. Or Northwestern and Nebraska. Or Iowa and Minnesota. Really.

ESPN’s preseason Football Power Index ranked Wisconsin 23rd, Iowa 25th, Minnesota 28th and Nebraska 35th. Those rankings were before Alex Hornibrook chose to transfer to Florida State.

Still, you can see how tightly bunched together the teams are. Northwestern and Purdue lag behind — for now. Would you doubt either at this point?

What’s more, which of those six coaches — Frost, Brohm, Ferentz, Northwestern’s Pat Fitzgerald, Wisconsin’s Paul Chryst and Minnesota’s PJ Fleck — is going anywhere soon? Frost, Brohm, Ferentz and Fitzgerald each make at least $4.5 million. These are rooted, invested programs.

Which is a great thing for Big Ten football fans even if it poses a challenge for Nebraska that didn’t quite exist in 2011.

Brohm is the face of that challenge. On the night Purdue stunned Ohio State 49-20 — keeping the Buckeyes out of the College Football Playoff — I speculated on Twitter that Frost's and Brohm’s offenses could go toe-to-toe for years to come.

The take was not received well — in part because of the prevailing belief that Brohm would ditch Purdue for Louisville, a far more accomplished football program that had just produced a Heisman Trophy winner.

Program fortunes change. Now, Purdue has a Heisman candidate. So does Nebraska. Purdue’s defensive front seven will be among the Big Ten West’s best. Nebraska’s will, too. If you had to buy Big Ten West 10-year bonds, Nebraska — and Purdue, of all teams — would be my picks.

Toe-to-toe. Here we go.

column by Sam Mckewon

LINCOLN — The big-picture Big Ten football story of the spring didn’t come during a glorified scrimmage.

It arrived a few days after Purdue’s April 6 spring game, when the school announced a new seven-year, $36.8 million deal with head coach Jeff Brohm.

Brohm, 13-13 with the Boilermakers, wisely rebuffed a return to his alma mater, scandal-ridden Louisville, to become the league’s second-highest paid coach, just ahead of Nebraska’s Scott Frost. Brohm will make $5.35 million next season.

That’s Purdue’s coach. Purdue. I’ve been to Purdue when the program wasn’t any good. It was four years ago, when the collective mind of Husker nation touched the void as Nebraska lost to the 2-10 Boilermakers, 55-45. There were about nine Purdue fans there that day. It felt like the particularly sad moment in most Simon and Garfunkel songs.

Now Purdue is paying its football coach more than Ohio State pays its coach. Purdue signed a top-25 recruiting class in February, including a blue-chip crop of receivers to add to the league’s most explosive player, Rondale Moore.

"Jeff and his staff have done a remarkable job in two years of changing the culture, makeup and trajectory of our program and have boosted the spirit on campus and beyond,” PU Athletic Director Mike Bobinski said.

That 63-14 bowl loss to Auburn didn’t slow down enthusiasm one bit. Purdue opened its new football complex in 2017. In January 2019, it sent out a survey to stakeholders asking for input on eventual renovations to Ross-Ade Stadium, a horseshoe in need of more intimacy and modern touches.

Purdue’s all-in.

So is Minnesota with its new facility and its peppy head coach who does 45-minute opening statements at his press conferences. So is Northwestern, coming off a Big Ten West title with its new lakefront practice palace. You already know where Wisconsin and Iowa stand.

In 2012, the average recruiting rankings of the seven Big Ten West teams, according to the 247Sports composite, was 51.9. Ditto for 2015. In 2019, it was 37.6. Four of the seven made the top 40. Purdue drew the No. 25 class to West Lafayette, Indiana, which should not, on any day, be confused with Miami (No. 28), Arizona State (No. 31) or UCLA (No. 41).

You play out scenarios into the future, and perhaps Nebraska is a half-step or a step ahead. But it isn’t lapping the field like it once did with most of the Big Eight or Big 12 in the 1980s and '90s, when NU took the football fork in the road while schools like Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and Missouri doubled down on basketball.

Nebraska enjoyed profound psychological and physical advantages on the gridiron as a result. From 1980 through 1997, NU played for six national titles, winning three. NU was within one game in 1982, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1989 and 1996 from playing for six more national titles. It lost one game — combined — to KU, KSU, Mizzou and ISU in those 18 seasons. That’s 71-1. Extraordinary!

NU has lost to each of its divisional foes at least once in the last four seasons.

Whatever window NU had to dominate the Big Ten West closed somewhere around the end of the Bo Pelini era and the beginning of the Mike Riley era. While Joel Stave-led Wisconsin cycled through three coaches in four years and Iowa muddled through some of Kirk Ferentz’s weakest seasons, Nebraska plateaued, then regressed.

In 18 short months under Frost, NU’s vibe has changed and its trajectory appears poised to dramatically turn upward. Watching Nebraska’s spring game again last week, you can see the fuller identity — especially on defense — starting to emerge. The Huskers didn’t look so different from Ohio State’s spring game, and frankly looked far better at quarterback.

But I watched Purdue’s spring game, too. The Boilermakers’ defense, which struggled last season, looks ready for a performance jump similar to Nebraska after it beat the offense 53-39 in a modified scoring system. PU’s presumptive starting quarterback, Elijah Sindelar, sat out the spring game, but the Boilermakers’ backups were about on par with Nebraska’s backups. Where PU is weak — a total reset awaits at running back — strengths (like tight end and receiver) can balance it out.

Nebraska and Purdue could be the top two teams in the division when they meet again on Nov. 2.

The Boilermakers might represent NU’s toughest road game in 2019. If it seems funny, consider the other options: Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota and Maryland. Purdue will surely have more than nine fans at the game, too.

And by the time NU and Purdue play on Nov. 2, the Huskers will know exactly what it takes to win the West. Nebraska and Purdue could very easily be the two teams to beat. Or it could be Iowa and Wisconsin. Or Northwestern and Nebraska. Or Iowa and Minnesota. Really.

ESPN’s preseason Football Power Index ranked Wisconsin 23rd, Iowa 25th, Minnesota 28th and Nebraska 35th. Those rankings were before Alex Hornibrook chose to transfer to Florida State.

Still, you can see how tightly bunched together the teams are. Northwestern and Purdue lag behind — for now. Would you doubt either at this point?

What’s more, which of those six coaches — Frost, Brohm, Ferentz, Northwestern’s Pat Fitzgerald, Wisconsin’s Paul Chryst and Minnesota’s PJ Fleck — is going anywhere soon? Frost, Brohm, Ferentz and Fitzgerald each make at least $4.5 million. These are rooted, invested programs.

Which is a great thing for Big Ten football fans even if it poses a challenge for Nebraska that didn’t quite exist in 2011.

Brohm is the face of that challenge. On the night Purdue stunned Ohio State 49-20 — keeping the Buckeyes out of the College Football Playoff — I speculated on Twitter that Frost's and Brohm’s offenses could go toe-to-toe for years to come.

The take was not received well — in part because of the prevailing belief that Brohm would ditch Purdue for Louisville, a far more accomplished football program that had just produced a Heisman Trophy winner.

Program fortunes change. Now, Purdue has a Heisman candidate. So does Nebraska. Purdue’s defensive front seven will be among the Big Ten West’s best. Nebraska’s will, too. If you had to buy Big Ten West 10-year bonds, Nebraska — and Purdue, of all teams — would be my picks.

Toe-to-toe. Here we go.

I admire his optimism, but I'm not really convinced by his reasoning.

I would love for the Gophers and the Boilers and the Huskers to develop real rivalries, though.

It doesn't bother me one bit that this writer thinks Purdue has a brighter future than Minnesota. I disagree, but time will tell.

But Rondale Moore is the league's most explosive player? Please. Moore caught 114 passes in 2018, resulting in 12 TDs and 1258 yards. That's one TD every 9.5 catches, and 11 yards per catch. Tyler Johnson equaled Moore's scoring on just 78 catches (1 TD every 6.5 touches), and averaged 15 yards per catch. Moore wasn't more explosive; Johnson was. Moore was merely more prolific, which is a very different thing.

This guy is a doofus as they come.

The gophers shredded Purdue and that great front 7, so did Auburn, both beat-downs.

A few beat downs (I'd argue the loss to Auburn was more embarassing and more viewed than the loss to the Gophers) somehow isn't taking the shine off the Brohm luster. Lots of writers and "experts" are going right back to touting his greatness. And Fleck continues to be called "weird" and seen as some sort of goof ball by many people outside of where he has coached. It comes out again in this article. In fairness, there have been some very complimentary articles about Fleck written over the past three years as well. But, despite the big win over Purdue last year, I do think most people around the conference and country still place Brohm above Fleck in their opinions. For some reason, the immediate improvement at Purdue in Brohm's first season continues to carry more weight than the late season turn around by the Gophers in Fleck's second season. Purdue's close win at Purdue over Minnesota in 2017 was part of that turn around and once the narrative had been set the rematch at Minnesota with the Gophers pounding Brohm's team just seems to be a speed bump on the way to crowning Brohm.

I think we can all agree the B1G West is rising, but it's a mostly zero-sum game. Someone's going to rise, and someone isn't. Someone might fall...fingers crossed it's wisconsin.

I agree with Schnauzer that Brohm is getting a lot more credit for same/worse results than Fleck because he happened to inherit a team that had a poor record before, while Fleck took over a team that had a good record but was destined to fall for a year or two under most any coach.

I think the writer means buy stock when the price is low. As Schnauzer said first impressions are hard to shake and Brohm overperformed with some splashy wins while PJ’s team underwhelmed for the first 3/4 or so of his tenure. The narrative always has a chance to change and it will this season. I’m absolutely fascinated to see what happens in the Big Ten.

It doesn't bother me one bit that this writer thinks Purdue has a brighter future than Minnesota. I disagree, but time will tell.

But Rondale Moore is the league's most explosive player? Please. Moore caught 114 passes in 2018, resulting in 12 TDs and 1258 yards. That's one TD every 9.5 catches, and 11 yards per catch. Tyler Johnson equaled Moore's scoring on just 78 catches (1 TD every 6.5 touches), and averaged 15 yards per catch. Moore wasn't more explosive; Johnson was. Moore was merely more prolific, which is a very different thing.

But Rondale Moore is small and adorable.

That made me laugh! He IS small and adorable. That makes for a much better Gameday human interest story.

In regards to Moore it probably depends a lot on how you define explosive. Moore is one of those guys that is a threat to take it to the house everytime because if he gets out in space he is so fast that you are not going to catch him.

Moore is one of those special talents that you have to account for at all times on defense. Johnson is probably a better pure receiver but he can't do some of the things that Moore can.

I'm curious to see how things go for Purdue as well, especially next year because they lost a ton on offense. The headline in the OP is a bit misleading because as the story points out the division is wide open with a number of teams that all have a good shot at winning it now and in the future.

In regards to Moore it probably depends a lot on how you define explosive. Moore is one of those guys that is a threat to take it to the house everytime because if he gets out in space he is so fast that you are not going to catch him.

Moore is one of those special talents that you have to account for at all times on defense. Johnson is probably a better pure receiver but he can't do some of the things that Moore can.

I'm curious to see how things go for Purdue as well, especially next year because they lost a ton on offense. The headline in the OP is a bit misleading because as the story points out the division is wide open with a number of teams that all have a good shot at winning it now and in the future.

Moore is gonna have to show me. What I see so far is that he catches more balls, but he's more likely to get caught before scoring and generally gets caught after a shorter gain. These results aren't characteristic of explosiveness. Johnson "explodes" as often as Moore despite catching fewer balls, hence he is more explosive.

Moore is gonna have to show me. What I see so far is that he catches more balls, but he's more likely to get caught before scoring and generally gets caught after a shorter gain. These results aren't characteristic of explosiveness. Johnson "explodes" as often as Moore despite catching fewer balls, hence he is more explosive.

I think Moore is definitely a little overhyped because people in general are so in love with speed. He gets a lot of attention because of the highlight reel runs that make it to Sportscenter. That said, he is still a really good player and one pretty much every team would love to have.

When comparing Moore to Johnson the bigger issue is the lack of notice Johnson gets for what he has been able to do. I hope this year he truly explodes onto the National landscape as one of the best receivers out there.

I'm guessing a large majority of college coaches would choose Moore over Johnson. For one, he also returns kicks.

I'm guessing a large majority of college coaches would choose Moore over Johnson. For one, he also returns kicks.

You know, I wouldn't argue with that. It's very impressive what Moore has accomplished at this point in his career, and I would love to have him playing for the Gophers. I only object to him being called the most explosive player in the league, when he hasn't yet shown it.

BTW, I see Studwell is retiring from the Vikings. My favorite player when I was ten years old, a real rock - the model of a reliable, hard-nosed linebacker.

BTW, I see Studwell is retiring from the Vikings. My favorite player when I was ten years old, a real rock - the model of a reliable, hard-nosed linebacker.

I still remember getting his autograph at a JC Penney when I was a kid. My vague memory is he was a really nice guy.

I think Nebraska is going to have a pretty decent season but I'm gonna laugh when the Gophers stomp them at TCF.

Rondale Moore's average touchdown length (as a true freshman): 30 yards

Tyler Johnson's average touchdown length: 13 yards

Is Tyler Johnson a better receiver? Yes. Is Rondale Moore a more explosive player? Yes, and it isn't close.

It's okay that other teams have good players too, it's pretty laughable to not accept those things.

A few beat downs (I'd argue the loss to Auburn was more embarassing and more viewed than the loss to the Gophers) somehow isn't taking the shine off the Brohm luster. Lots of writers and "experts" are going right back to touting his greatness. And Fleck continues to be called "weird" and seen as some sort of goof ball by many people outside of where he has coached. It comes out again in this article. In fairness, there have been some very complimentary articles about Fleck written over the past three years as well. But, despite the big win over Purdue last year, I do think most people around the conference and country still place Brohm above Fleck in their opinions. For some reason, the immediate improvement at Purdue in Brohm's first season continues to carry more weight than the late season turn around by the Gophers in Fleck's second season. Purdue's close win at Purdue over Minnesota in 2017 was part of that turn around and once the narrative had been set the rematch at Minnesota with the Gophers pounding Brohm's team just seems to be a speed bump on the way to crowning Brohm.

I get the sense a lot of media/writer types fall into the Fleck "weirdness" theme. He's easy to dismiss; and that's OK and maybe even a benefit sometimes. I also get the sense many actual football people respect what the guy has done and is doing now whether they like him or not; and that's OK too.

I got a kick out of the bowl game press conference for the coaches. Johnson looked like he wanted to punch Fleck with all his "yappiness" and positivity. I chuckled through the whole thing. Here's this old-school coach, with old-school demeanor, old-school communication style, old-school coaching methods, running the oldest of old-school offenses. He then proceeds to get asskicked by this new-school yappy weird coach. It was priceless.

Rondale Moore's average touchdown length (as a true freshman): 30 yards

Tyler Johnson's average touchdown length: 13 yards

Is Tyler Johnson a better receiver? Yes. Is Rondale Moore a more explosive player? Yes, and it isn't close.

It's okay that other teams have good players too, it's pretty laughable to not accept those things.

'It isn't close?'

Are you judging 'explosiveness' on plays that go for touchdowns only? According to the link, the NFL judges as follows:

"Explosive plays, for example, are historically known to be directly correlated to success. Some teams define them as passes of 20-plus yards and runs of 10 or longer, but really, it varies from team to team (the Seahawks define explosive plays as passes over 16 yards and runs of 12-plus, for whatever reason). For this experiment, we’re sticking with the norm of passes ranging from 20 yards or more."

https://www.fantasylabs.com/articles/important-explosive-plays-nfl-dfs/

I have a lot more confidence in the Gophers D this year than whatever Nebraska and Purdue are going to roll out, especially if Winfield stays healthy.

Nebraska and Purdue will probably have flashier offenses, but the Gophers have the makings of a classic Big Ten steamroller.

I love TJ6.
Rondale Moore is more explosive.
Not really debatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love TJ6.
Rondale Moore is more explosive.
Not really debatable.

"Not really debatable" reads like a final, closing argument. Sort of like saying "End of conversation."

Does it mean, "I've proved my point", or is it, "I am no longer listening to you"?

"Not really debatable" reads like a final, closing argument. Sort of like saying "End of conversation."

Does it mean, "I've proved my point", or is it, "I am no longer listening to you"?

It means that it is silly to think otherwise. I get folks may not want it to be true, but it just is. Similar to how it would be silly to debate someone who says July is warmer than January. Not really debatable.

'It isn't close?'

Are you judging 'explosiveness' on plays that go for touchdowns only? According to the link, the NFL judges as follows:

"Explosive plays, for example, are historically known to be directly correlated to success. Some teams define them as passes of 20-plus yards and runs of 10 or longer, but really, it varies from team to team (the Seahawks define explosive plays as passes over 16 yards and runs of 12-plus, for whatever reason). For this experiment, we’re sticking with the norm of passes ranging from 20 yards or more."

https://www.fantasylabs.com/articles/important-explosive-plays-nfl-dfs/

I responded to the other guy saying TJ had the same amount of touchdowns in less catches than Rondale Moore. I don't think it takes that many stats to compare the two's explosiveness. Rondale Moore makes a lot of big plays and can make big plays himself.

Again, I'd take Tyler Johnson over him. Rondale Moore is more explosive.

I think Moore is definitely a little overhyped because people in general are so in love with speed. He gets a lot of attention because of the highlight reel runs that make it to Sportscenter. That said, he is still a really good player and one pretty much every team would love to have.

When comparing Moore to Johnson the bigger issue is the lack of notice Johnson gets for what he has been able to do. I hope this year he truly explodes onto the National landscape as one of the best receivers out there.

Moore played in front of 6.3 million viewers in a Primetime Game vs tOSU and put together a memorable effort and performance. Johnson catches 8 for 118 vs tOSU in front of 4 million fewer viewers. Definitely see your point and used the tOSU games as a comparison. I’d love both players on my team and find the skill sets each bring to certainly impact games.

It means that it is silly to think otherwise. I get folks may not want it to be true, but it just is. Similar to how it would be silly to debate someone who says July is warmer than January. Not really debatable.

Unless the debater was a Gopher fan living in Sydney Australia.

I get the sense a lot of media/writer types fall into the Fleck "weirdness" theme. He's easy to dismiss; and that's OK and maybe even a benefit sometimes. I also get the sense many actual football people respect what the guy has done and is doing now whether they like him or not; and that's OK too.

I got a kick out of the bowl game press conference for the coaches. Johnson looked like he wanted to punch Fleck with all his "yappiness" and positivity. I chuckled through the whole thing. Here's this old-school coach, with old-school demeanor, old-school communication style, old-school coaching methods, running the oldest of old-school offenses. He then proceeds to get asskicked by this new-school yappy weird coach. It was priceless.
This is a superior post. Top 5.

I kind of went through a similar progression regarding Fleck. I think it went something like:

1. Oh god
2. I hope this guy's not a buffoon
3. Hm, there may actually be some level of sincerity here
4. I hope he can coach
5. He knows how to sell ... in a very, very good way
6. What he's saying seems to be resonating
7. We may very well be onto something here
8. Hope he's here for a good, long time

JTG

Top Bottom