Gophers vs Western Illinois 9/10/2022

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That stretch to finished out the year is a doozy.

Thought we were done with 1AA teams. Or whatever they are called now.

Think the no FCS thing went away when B1G went to 9 game conference schedule.

Group of 5 teams took advantage and raised costs for scheduling games. This caused some big ten teams problems scheduling teams and asked for exceptions for teams like Cincinnati to count as power 5 school.

More Casa De Autos that season too. Perhaps we should start a trophy for this annual game? Maybe a pair of big oversized Aggievision glasses? Players and coaches could pass them around and take turns wearing them in a tradition that would soon rival chopping the goal posts with the axe.

5 straight games pretty quickly gets to be a bit tiresome IMO.

I mean I wouldn't avoid scheduling it.... just as a fan... need a Saturday off here and there ;)

I mean I wouldn't avoid scheduling it.... just as a fan... need a Saturday off here and there ;)

September 1, 2022 is a Thursday. Enjoy your Saturday... what are your plans? :cool:

Last edited:

On the plus side, better chance of avoiding crappy weather. Only 1 home game after Oct 15. I hope that more than 1 is under the lights.

RIP The Marching band, 5 shows with only a week in between each, all at the start of the season.

I think the Gophers are playing the FCS SDSU Jack Rabbits this 2019 season. They are a good 63 scholarship team & you pay a lot less to bringing them to Minnesota. Your coaches can watch the Gophers offense and defense and work some of the bugs out. You also may give your second string a chance to gain valuable game time. If your AD scheduled a bottom 60 FCS team then I can see why you would be upset. I think that SDSU made the top 10 in FCS last year so they may make your team work hard for the first half & you don't have to play an FCS team every year.

Last edited:

Gophers are going to be really young in 2022. We will need that home cooking early in the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Big Ten didn't do them any favors with that schedule. The Gophers didn't really have much of a choice to have 5 home games to start the year. Only other option I guess would have been to try to schedule one of the non conference games at the end of October during the bye week. But then you have your bye in the first week or two of the season.

Last edited:

Not a fan of having 5 straight home games to start the season. Much better for the fan base to have them spread out across the fall.

Gophers are going to be really young in 2022. We will need that home cooking early in the year.

I've heard that team is the youngest in the nation! Only 15-19 years old!

Why would you schedule Western Ill when you could have scheduled NDSU? You'd have a full stadium, full hotels and restaurants. Now you have a game that no one cares about and a half full stadium.

Why would you schedule Western Ill when you could have scheduled NDSU? You'd have a full stadium, full hotels and restaurants. Now you have a game that no one cares about and a half full stadium.

Here is the problem Bison Dan. NDSU is 9-3 against G5 and P5 teams since you started playing in 1aa or FCS. Even if the Gophers or any other P5 team plays the Bison and the P5 team wins in the last minute of the game it doesn't help the P5s strength of schedule to play the Gophers down to the wire or even win.

We just played f hawks in hockey. Nice to see some different teams once in awhile

GSU played WIU back in the late 90's. Both teams were 1aa. As I remember the score was around Georgia Southern 45 - Leathernecks 10 or 13 points. The Gophers should whip them good!

Last edited:

When scheduling those D2 teams, it is sort of like opening a box of glazed Krispy Kremes. They are all pretty much the same. You just select one and move on.

When scheduling those D2 teams, it is sort of like opening a box of glazed Krispy Kremes. They are all pretty much the same. You just select one and move on.

Yea right - just kept telling yourself that you're a big bad BIG Team. Everyone knows the real reason. SAD.

Everyone knows the real reason. SAD.

Are you talking about the hygiene concerns from visiting NDSU fans? Yes, that's the reason. We were just trying to be polite, but since you brought it up...

I wouldn't go that far Schnauzer.

FCS is not D2 they are D1aa or FCS with 63 scholarships. If any mid level P5 or G5 team schedules a top 10 FCS teams, from the year before, that has most of their starters comming back with no coaching changes it can be a tough game.

I wouldn't go that far Schnauzer.

FCS is not D2 they are D1aa or FCS with 63 scholarships. If any mid level P5 or G5 team schedules a top 10 FCS teams, from the year before, that has most of their starters comming back with no coaching changes it can be a tough game.[/QUOTE
]

Now that we have some real talent again, I would like to see Minnesota playing the D2 king UND Bizon every year. I know they beat that 0-11 Brewster team and the worst team Jerry Kill ever had at Minnesota (His No. Illinois teams would have routed the UND Bizzon team every time) I'd prefer to see this match up whenever possible, now that we are better at almost every position.

I think a much elevated Gopher Team vs the current Fighting Bizon team would be a mismatch but at least the stadium would be full, which will not be the case against anyone else in the lower rungs,other than the current kings of minor league football.

The fans in Fargo still think it is 2010 and probably disagree. Too bad for them but at least they will always have the magical strip malls of dusty 'Frisco TX. In 50 plus years they will be speaking of Frisco TX like we speak of Pasadena CA.

Then again we are seeing a real solid team in South Dakota State in August, so maybe they will bring 20,000 fans and surprise us.

Last edited:

Top Bottom