Michael Hurt on U: I love the people, love the campus and I love my teammates.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per a Q&A with Gophers' Hurt:

Some rumors had it that you’d be following Matthew to whichever school he chose, as a graduate transfer. What are your plans for next year?

MICHAEL HURT: I have graduated but will be back at Minnesota for my seniors season. It’s the right choice. I love the people, love the campus and I love my teammates. I think I can play more and think I can help this team. Our (upcoming senior) class, our goal was always to make the NCAA Tournament when we first came to Minnesota. If we can make it three of my four years (by getting in again this coming season), that would be great. I can’t remember the last time the Gophers would have done that. I’m really excited about this team.

In what ways are you looking to improve next year, your final one at Minnesota?

MICHAEL HURT: I think having more confidence in myself. I think that a lot of my teammates have confidence in me. But sometimes I don’t always believe in myself. Sometimes I pass up open shots because I am always looking for the next play or the next guy open. I just have to look to be more aggressive.

What will Minnesota’s team look like next season?

MICHAEL HURT: I think we can be really good. Marcus (Carr, a transfer for who sat out this season) is an excellent point guard. It won’t be anything like last year where there was so much talk about our point guard situation and us not having one. Marcus will be the point guard and he will be a leader of this team. And Payton (Willis, another transfer who sat out this season) is an excellent shooter and a really smart guy. He’s also a good defender. Marcus, same thing. It will be a completely different team, but I think Gophers fans will be happy with what they see.

https://www.postbulletin.com/sports...cle_a8a7844e-62f8-11e9-8325-17dcf478cfc9.html

Go Gophers!!

per a Q&A with Gophers' Hurt:

Some rumors had it that you’d be following Matthew to whichever school he chose, as a graduate transfer. What are your plans for next year?

MICHAEL HURT: I have graduated but will be back at Minnesota for my seniors season. It’s the right choice. I love the people, love the campus and I love my teammates. I think I can play more and think I can help this team. Our (upcoming senior) class, our goal was always to make the NCAA Tournament when we first came to Minnesota. If we can make it three of my four years (by getting in again this coming season), that would be great. I can’t remember the last time the Gophers would have done that. I’m really excited about this team.

In what ways are you looking to improve next year, your final one at Minnesota?

MICHAEL HURT: I think having more confidence in myself. I think that a lot of my teammates have confidence in me. But sometimes I don’t always believe in myself. Sometimes I pass up open shots because I am always looking for the next play or the next guy open. I just have to look to be more aggressive.

What will Minnesota’s team look like next season?

MICHAEL HURT: I think we can be really good. Marcus (Carr, a transfer for who sat out this season) is an excellent point guard. It won’t be anything like last year where there was so much talk about our point guard situation and us not having one. Marcus will be the point guard and he will be a leader of this team. And Payton (Willis, another transfer who sat out this season) is an excellent shooter and a really smart guy. He’s also a good defender. Marcus, same thing. It will be a completely different team, but I think Gophers fans will be happy with what they see.

https://www.postbulletin.com/sports...cle_a8a7844e-62f8-11e9-8325-17dcf478cfc9.html

Go Gophers!!

Exciting, can’t wait for next year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great read! I am really pulling for Mike to have a nice senior year, he is a great teammate and I really do think he can make an impact next year if he gains some confidence in himself and plays to his potential.

Great to read this. As much as I’m disappointed in his brother’s school choice, I’m glad Michael is coming back, and look forward to next year already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We stand behind you Michael. I hope your off season work outs are going great and your development shows on the court next year. Go Gophers!

I hope Michael earns a solid role playing position at least this year. I mean the guy isn't Maverick Anamehsi (spelled that wrong sorry) at least. Hurt is capable.

I hope Michael earns a solid role playing position at least this year. I mean the guy isn't Maverick Anamehsi (spelled that wrong sorry) at least. Hurt is capable.

He just needs to find confidence in his shot.

Hated the rumors that he was going to leave to wherever his brother went...and the rumors never seemed to add up either. Also hated the people saying "so what" or "big deal" if he did leave. 4 year players are rare to find, and he will wear the title of 'senior' with pride. He may not be what we had hoped for when he committed, but the front court needs him for depth...whether that's 5-8 minutes a game in a rotation, or 20 minutes when someone gets injured. He is very much needed on this team for depth, as much as senior leadership.

Hated the rumors that he was going to leave to wherever his brother went...and the rumors never seemed to add up either. Also hated the people saying "so what" or "big deal" if he did leave. 4 year players are rare to find, and he will wear the title of 'senior' with pride. He may not be what we had hoped for when he committed, but the front court needs him for depth...whether that's 5-8 minutes a game in a rotation, or 20 minutes when someone gets injured. He is very much needed on this team for depth, as much as senior leadership.

Exactly how i see it.

Excellent. If we get the Michael, Marcus, and Payton described, look out!

Glad Michael is back, I think he can help off the bench, be a decent role player who gets 5-10 minutes. If he ends up riding the pine that means recruiting and player development went well and we have a selfless practice player

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Mac actually wasn't bad as a senior, better off the ball and was an okay shooter. Nice to have in the NIT when Malik went cold

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hey, Mav Ahanmisi is a pro player these days. He's the 2nd leading scorer on a Filipino team that's one of the best teams in the top league there. #3 pick in the draft a few years ago.

I just love this kid--a Gopher through and through. I don't understand some people who ask, why would any recruit come here when they could go somewhere else? Because it's a great place, that's why! My senior-year daughter raves about the U and couldn't be happier there.

I will bring up Brent Lawson for those who remember. He was a key team member his senior year, and it was pretty amazing.
Michael has the potential to make a significant contribution this year. Perhaps having the removal of attention placed on his brother's recruitment will be a welcome relief for him.

I will bring up Brent Lawson for those who remember. He was a key team member his senior year, and it was pretty amazing.
Michael has the potential to make a significant contribution this year. Perhaps having the removal of attention placed on his brother's recruitment will be a welcome relief for him.
Michael can be a Joey King type player. On a good team Joey would have been a 6th man. Michael can play the 6th man role. He could do it well if he stops over thinking and plays like he deserves to be on the court. Some catch that confidence. Some never find it.

This is good news, especially since they plan on playing together next year. Will help since Amir refuses to play another game for Pitino. :rolleyes:

Wild Gopher rumors make the days pass. I do believe we will be a better team next year despite the heavy loss of Murphy.

Just want to announce that I will not be playing basketball for Duke next year either.

You were close until the bold! Mav actually contributed on the floor during his career... same with Joey King or any other comp in this thread. Mike's production to this point has been much close to walk-on level than the names being brought up.

You were close until the bold! Mav actually contributed on the floor during his career... same with Joey King or any other comp in this thread. Mike's production to this point has been much close to walk-on level than the names being brought up.

There isn't a huge difference between Mav's and Hurt's numbers.

I would bet they'll be really similar in career points, Hurt will have more career rebounds and Mav will have more career assists.

Prior to their SR seasons, Mav played 1144 minutes and Hurt has played 974 minutes.

It wouldn't have been a huge loss from a basketball standpoint if he had followed his brother to Duke but I'm glad he decided to stick around. Outside of just the fun of riding his brothers coat tails it made zero sense for him to follow Matthew to Duke as he would have been relegated to end of the bench status and would have been lucky to get any game action during the season. Might be fun to be on a top ranked team and be a National Title contender but I would think you would want a chance to play as well (especially in your senior season)and he wasn't going to get that at Duke.

Top Bottom