Fox 9: Gophers teammates call QB battle ‘a brotherhood'

For all of you that think Liedner would have been good, he would not have. he was BAD at Lakeville South he was at the U end of story, no scheme or coach would have made him better. He was BAD.

The winningest QB in school history was BAD, huh?

That's not my intel. PN was recruited to run a specific type of offense. JK decided to change the offense and give the job to ML, because he thought RUTM would best achieve B10 wins. That's why PN left.

Your intel is wrong. Many people with knowledge of the situation have spoken out about this. I don’t even think the offense changed as you suggested - we were never airing it out with Kill. After splitting time with ML7 that year, including in the Bowl game that ended the season - PN9 let the Coaches know he was too good for that. The Gophers ended up being better off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He belonged as St. Thomas

This thread is not about Liedner, so I would like to end the discussion about him, but we saw the peak of his pathetic abilities. I for one am very glad to have those times as days gone by and finally see QBs who are actually B1G quality on our roster.

This thread is not about Liedner, so I would like to end the discussion about him, but we saw the peak of his pathetic abilities. I for one am very glad to have those times as days gone by and finally see QBs who are actually B1G quality on our roster.

You started it, weeniebreath. Your career here will be short.

Leidner (the correct spelling) was a Big Ten quality QB.

You started it, weeniebreath. Your career here will be short.

I did not start it someone asked if Leidner would have thrived in an RPO offense and I said he would have thrived in an accounting class at St. Thomas where he belonged. I am a huge Gopher fan and I actually had to watch his senior season at LSHS and my buddies and I were all laughing at the time that he was going to UMN. Then 2 years later we all laughed at how he was our starter, and another 3 years later we laughed at McShay for putting him his round 1 mock draft. At his best he was a 3rd stringer at a place that had a decent offense. Lucky for him Kill and Clays didn't care much for offense and only cared about the other side of the ball.

I did not start it someone asked if Leidner would have thrived in an RPO offense and I said he would have thrived in an accounting class at St. Thomas where he belonged. I am a huge Gopher fan and I actually had to watch his senior season at LSHS and my buddies and I were all laughing at the time that he was going to UMN. Then 2 years later we all laughed at how he was our starter, and another 3 years later we laughed at McShay for putting him his round 1 mock draft. At his best he was a 3rd stringer at a place that had a decent offense. Lucky for him Kill and Clays didn't care much for offense and only cared about the other side of the ball.
Except for the fact that his career stats put him pretty much in line with any other average big ten qb. Sorry he stole your girlfriend.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

And we are all laughing at your killer analysis. Seems you always had an anti-ML7 bias. Too bad.

Our current QBs are better, but Leidner was the toughest player to wear the maroon and gold that I've ever seen.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Our current QBs are better, but Leidner was the toughest player to wear the maroon and gold that I've ever seen.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Not taking a jab at Leidner's toughness, he was a tough SOB, but I'll take MarQueis Gray for that category.

And we are all laughing at your killer analysis. Seems you always had an anti-ML7 bias. Too bad.

Going back to our current decent QBs, They combined to match Leidner's best passing season in their freshman year. I am very excited to see what the future holds for them both.

Going back to our current decent QBs, They combined to match Leidner's best passing season in their freshman year. I am very excited to see what the future holds for them both.

Leidner's best year was his junior year. He had a 59.5 completion percentage, 2701 yards,14 TDs and 11 Int. Leidner also had 6 rushing TDs and 270 rushing yards that year (33 rushing TDs in his career). His junior year was actually his worst rushing stat year. He had 10 rushing TDs twice in other years.

Tanner Morgan had a 58.6 completion percentage, 1401 yards, 9 TD, and 6 Int. Tanner had 51 yards rushing.

Zach had a 51.9 completion percentage, 1277 yards, 9TD, and 7 Int. Zach had -89 yards rushing.

Or if you combine Zach and Tanner they had a 54.3 completion percentage, 2678 yards, 18 TD and 13 Int. They combined for -38 yards rushing.

So I would say Zach and Tanner combined to match Mitch in terms of yards passing, TD, and Int. They did not match him in completion percentage or come anywhere close to Mitch's rushing stats. Let's also keep in mind that we have 3 _great_ options at receiver right now, where Mitch was lucky if he had one per season.

Going back to our current decent QBs, They combined to match <b>Leidner's </b>best passing season in their freshman year. I am very excited to see what the future holds for them both.

Yeah, way to take it back to our current QBs. I’m sure your next post will complain again about too much ML7 talk.

Lots of times brothers want to beat the crap out of each other.

You realize that talking about how you and these other dorks laughed at Mitch for being a being a starter for the Gophers makes you and your buddies look bad? It's like mocking a guy for dating the 5th hottest Victoria's Secret model.

Did you and your buddies get a good snicker in 2014 when Mitch led us to win in the Big House and in Lincoln? "Hehe can you believe Mitch only ran for 111 yards and two TDs?"

Your intel is wrong. Many people with knowledge of the situation have spoken out about this. I don’t even think the offense changed as you suggested - we were never airing it out with Kill. After splitting time with ML7 that year, including in the Bowl game that ended the season - PN9 let the Coaches know he was too good for that. The Gophers ended up being better off.

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong, but my intel is from mods of gopher sites. Who are the many people with knowledge you're referring to? Anonymous posters claiming to be PN9 relatives?

I'm sure PN9 telling the coaches he is too good to split time is accurate.

You realize that talking about how you and these other dorks laughed at Mitch for being a being a starter for the Gophers makes you and your buddies look bad? It's like mocking a guy for dating the 5th hottest Victoria's Secret model.

Did you and your buddies get a good snicker in 2014 when Mitch led us to win in the Big House and in Lincoln? "Hehe can you believe Mitch only ran for 111 yards and two TDs?"

We cheered for him but just thought it funny in the pathetic sense that he was the gophers QB. None of us had a vendetta against him we just thought he wasn't a good QB. Case in point 4 Ints in one half when we had a chance for the axe.

We cheered for him but just thought it funny in the pathetic sense that he was the gophers QB. None of us had a vendetta against him we just thought he wasn't a good QB. Case in point 4 Ints in one half when we had a chance for the axe.

So... you and your buddies made your decision about what is and what is not "pathetic" by cherry-picking the evidence, i.e. looking only at negative data?

Is this your latest “attempt” to bring the conversation back to the current QBs?

Is this your latest “attempt” to bring the conversation back to the current QBs?

Fine I'll be happier to never remember a moment from his career here. Who do you have as our starter next year? I am pretty torn, I feel like we never got to see Annexstad's peak last year with poor Oline play, an injury, and poor Defensive play. Morgan on the other hand looked very good to end the year. He did have health, a nice pocket, and a defense to help him though.

I’ve heard some others state this and I’m not totally sure what you mean by this - arm strength? Production - positive TD:INT ratio, ability to distribute the ball, scramble when necessary, move the chains seem more important than a nebulous ceiling that may or may not exist. I believe in game day production, period. He did really, really well for a redshirt freshman vs some tough competitors. OTOH, maybe he backslides this year or loses confidence with someone breathing down his neck or maybe ZA soundly beats him out and is so good the coaches hand over the reins and let TM go.

/

I think of Zach as having a higher ceiling because of his size and the velocity with which he can throw the ball.
I think he really struggled with looking to second and third options and looking off defenders during his playing time last year.
Morgan seemed much better at this and also really good and the dink and dunk hitting guys in stride game.
Looking forward to see how it shakes out and maybe we see Clark a bit this year too.

PS I will buy Mitch Leidner a beer if I ever have the chance and thank him for busting his @ss and playing some good football.

I feel like we never got to see Annexstad's peak last year with poor Oline play, an injury, and poor Defensive play. Morgan on the other hand looked very good to end the year. He did have health, a nice pocket, and a defense to help him though.

Now that sounds like a rational assessment.

I was a big ZA fan early on last year. And I also appreciate everything Morgan did in the second half of the season.

At this point, I'll be happy to ride with whoever the staff chooses to drive. We've got two capable guys surrounded by a lot of talent.

JTG

A bird in the hand or two in the bush? These games aren’t dress rehearsals. Morgan has proven himself - his job to lose via poor play IMO.

Now that sounds like a rational assessment.

I was a big ZA fan early on last year. And I also appreciate everything Morgan did in the second half of the season.

At this point, I'll be happy to ride with whoever the staff chooses to drive. We've got two capable guys surrounded by a lot of talent.

JTG

I share your opinion. The coaching staff, I believe, will play the one who gives the Gophers the best chance to win.

Top Bottom