Fox 9: Gophers teammates call QB battle ‘a brotherhood'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Fox 9:

PJ Fleck made one thing clear at the conclusion of last Saturday’s Spring Game: The quarterback competition will continue into the fall this year, just as it did last year.

The advantage there is that both Zack Annexstad and Tanner Morgan got valuable playing experience last season. Both will likely need to play for the Gophers at some point in the fall, regardless of who gets the starting nod.

Annexstad and Morgan each had their share of highlights in the Spring Game. They both also had throws that make Fleck scratch his head. The reality is they’re still young, even if they have a full season of experience.

“We’re going to need both quarterbacks at some point and they’re both getting better at an equal level,” Fleck said. “You’re not seeing that one guy just jump out and say that’s the guy. They’re both improving.”

Annexstad finished the Spring Game 9-of-15 for 191 yards, a touchdown and an interception. His longest pass was a 47-yard bomb down the middle of the field to Rashod Bateman. Morgan was 11-of-17 for 139 yards, two touchdowns and an interception returned by Thomas Rush for a 71-yard touchdown that Fleck labeled “catastrophic.”

Morgan’s two touchdowns went to Chris Autman-Bell and Brevyn Spann-Ford. Annexstad’s touchdown went for 31 yards to tight end Bryce Witham. Bateman earned offensive MVP honors for the game with six catches for 164 yards. He saw them push each other daily in spring practice.

“They don’t compete against each other. They’re both like brothers, they’re always in the film room running together. I just feel like both have grown a lot together,” Bateman said.

http://www.fox9.com/sports/gophers-teammates-call-qb-battle-a-brotherhood

Go Gophers!!

Zack's arm is way too noodly for me, give me Tanner.

You think Tanner has a better arm than Zack? I see the exact opposite. Zack has a bigger arm but takes more risks downfield, while Tanner has a noodle arm and is more of a take what is there game managers type. Either way we go I'm good with, would be nice to fully utilize TJ and Bateman downfield, so personally I lean Zack

You think Tanner has a better arm than Zack? I see the exact opposite. Zack has a bigger arm but takes more risks downfield, while Tanner has a noodle arm and is more of a take what is there game managers type. Either way we go I'm good with, would be nice to fully utilize TJ and Bateman downfield, so personally I lean Zack

The "takes more risks downfield" comment was a pretty common comment last year, but I can't help wonder if it's a misconception. Many of the throws used to evidence that claim were "50-50" balls, and I think it became pretty clear as the season went on that that was the objective -- we were putting one of our guys one-on-one with a Dback and seeing who's better at going up and getting the ball. During the first half of the season our receivers weren't very successful making those plays. They got better in the second half.

Yeah, one could argue that Morgan was better at throwing the "50-50" ball. That may be, but that wasn't my impression at the time.

And that's just like my opinion, man. :)

I'm on the record as a big ZA fan from last year, but Morgan certainly did everything that was asked of him ... and more. I'm thrilled we got 'em both and they're only sophomores. Even better, they apparently get along.

JTG

It's all a brotherhood until one QB likes the other QB's sister's Instagram photos....

I like Morgan better for now but totally ok with Zach. Nice to have 2 competent QBs.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I like them both. If you look at last season's results, Morgan has a fairly clear-cut edge.

W-L Record:

Annexstad: 3-4 as a starter (0-4 in B1G)

Morgan: 4-2 as a starter (3-2 in B1G)

Zach had the big win over Fresno State. Tanner beat Indiana, Purdue, Wisconsin and Georgia Tech.

Pretty substantial edge to Morgan here, IMHO. The win against Wisconsin was epic.

Stats:

Morgan........ 89 of 152 for 1401, 58.6%, 9TD 6INT 9.2 yds/att

Annexstad.... 97 of 187 for 1277, 51.9%, 9TD 7INT 6.8 yds/att

Edge to Morgan

Mobility:

Not sure how to call this category, because I think Zach played hurt.

I like them both. If you look at last season's results, Morgan has a fairly clear-cut edge.

W-L Record:

Annexstad: 3-4 as a starter (0-4 in B1G)

Morgan: 4-2 as a starter (3-2 in B1G)

Zach had the big win over Fresno State. Tanner beat Indiana, Purdue, Wisconsin and Georgia Tech.

Pretty substantial edge to Morgan here, IMHO. The win against Wisconsin was epic.

Stats:

Morgan........ 89 of 152 for 1401, 58.6%, 9TD 6INT 9.2 yds/att

Annexstad.... 97 of 187 for 1277, 51.9%, 9TD 7INT 6.8 yds/att

Edge to Morgan

Mobility:

Not sure how to call this category, because I think Zach played hurt.

Stats don't tell the whole story. Annexstad didn't have Faalele protecting his right side, nor did he have a competent DC to get the ball back in his hands. They are both good and for the first time in my life I have confidence in a MN coach to make the correct call whichever one he chooses.

Stats don't tell the whole story. Annexstad didn't have Faalele protecting his right side, nor did he have a competent DC to get the ball back in his hands. They are both good and for the first time in my life I have confidence in a MN coach to make the correct call whichever one he chooses.

Agreed. Not taking anything away from Morgan's performance in the second half of the season. To me, that alone gives him a slight edge at the moment. But it is a slight edge, and it could change. And that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. Quite the contrary.

JTG

You're 100% right in saying stats don't tell the whole story. They are only a starting point.

You're also spot on with your points about Faalele and the change in defensive coordinators.

Very good observations.

The difference at QB was pretty stark after ZA was replaced. Some of it can be attributed to DF but the difference in playmaking ability was noticeable. As with the Robb Smith experiment a change was fortuitous for the team but an argument can be made on whether decisions should have been made sooner or at all.

The difference at QB was pretty stark after ZA was replaced. Some of it can be attributed to DF but the difference in playmaking ability was noticeable. As with the Robb Smith experiment a change was fortuitous for the team but an argument can be made on whether decisions should have been made sooner or at all.

I still think ZA has the higher ceiling. The scrambling completion to Tyler Johnson against Fresno State was such an incredible play and I think he could reach that level far more often as he grows. Right now, TM is more consistent and played confidently against B1G opponents. In conclusion, I have no idea who should start and I'm glad I'm not the coach.

I still think ZA has the higher ceiling. The scrambling completion to Tyler Johnson against Fresno State was such an incredible play and I think he could reach that level far more often as he grows. Right now, TM is more consistent and played confidently against B1G opponents. In conclusion, I have no idea who should start and I'm glad I'm not the coach.

Zach's scrambling completion to Tyler Johnson was very impressive.

Tanner's deep strike bomb that hit Bateman in stride to win the game against Indiana was pretty good, too.

I’ve heard some others state this and I’m not totally sure what you mean by this - arm strength? Production - positive TD:INT ratio, ability to distribute the ball, scramble when necessary, move the chains seem more important than a nebulous ceiling that may or may not exist. I believe in game day production, period. He did really, really well for a redshirt freshman vs some tough competitors. OTOH, maybe he backslides this year or loses confidence with someone breathing down his neck or maybe ZA soundly beats him out and is so good the coaches hand over the reins and let TM go.

/

Last edited:

Zach had Faalele from Iowa on

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Love that PJ creates this competition by bringing recruits in, and not just handing the position to someone.

Leidner was okay, better than what most give him credit for. But I did not like that Kill and Claey's just seemed to ignore the position in recruiting for the most part after naming Leidner the guy over Phil Nelson. There never seemed to be any competition at the position.

Love that PJ creates this competition by bringing recruits in, and not just handing the position to someone.

Leidner was okay, better than what most give him credit for. But I did not like that Kill and Claey's just seemed to ignore the position in recruiting for the most part after naming Leidner the guy over Phil Nelson. There never seemed to be any competition at the position.
That's a little revisionist history. Nelson didn't want to compete, I think the staff was perfectly fine with them competing

That's a little revisionist history. Nelson didn't want to compete, I think the staff was perfectly fine with them competing

He didnt? Please refresh my memory.

Regardless, they did little to bring in any legit competition. Even after the Leidner/Nelson competition.

He didnt? Please refresh my memory.

Regardless, they did little to bring in any legit competition. Even after the Leidner/Nelson competition.

PN9 basically told Kill he either needed to be given the #1 spot the next year or he was gone. Kill showed him the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve heard some others state this and I’m not totally sure what you mean by this - arm strength? Production - positive TD:INT ratio, ability to distribute the ball, scramble when necessary, move the chains seem more important than a nebulous ceiling that may or may not exist. I believe in game day production, period. He did really, really well for a redshirt freshman vs some tough competitors. OTOH, maybe he backslides this year or loses confidence with someone breathing down his neck or maybe ZA soundly beats him out and is so good the coaches hand over the reins and let TM go.

/

I don't know if I agree with the idea, but I believe most people believe that Zack probably has a stronger arm. He is probably closer to being a prototypical QB. I know the roster says Tanner is 6'2" and Zack is 6'3", but I think Zack is noticeably larger than Morgan.

I don't know if I agree with the idea, but I believe most people believe that Zack probably has a stronger arm. He is probably closer to being a prototypical QB. I know the roster says Tanner is 6'2" and Zack is 6'3", but I think Zack is noticeably larger than Morgan.

Yeah, Morgan is probably 6'0". Seen him standing next to Douglas multiple times and they are the same height. One thing I did notice this Spring is he got a few balls batted down. Probably more missing the lane than anything else.

I suppose if all other things are equal. Leidner was taller and stronger than either one. Seth Green, for that matter. This brings up an interesting question - how does Leidner do in this RPO offense?

I suppose if all other things are equal. Leidner was taller and stronger than either one. Seth Green, for that matter. This brings up an interesting question - how does Leidner do in this RPO offense?
I think Leidner would've thrived. The offense didn't do him or any an any favors when he was here. Rotm, Rotm, third and long one WR on the field. Gee wonder where the ball is going

I think Leidner would've thrived. The offense didn't do him or any an any favors when he was here. Rotm, Rotm, third and long one WR on the field. Gee wonder where the ball is going

I agree he was set up to fail in many ways by the calls and scheme and it was discussed at length at the time. Many people bring up Streveler’s struggles vs SJSU and similarly something like 2/3 oh his attempts were low percentage third and longs with average receivers that struggled to get open with predictable calls. Conclusions: can’t throw.

Good question. I do think Green might have surprised more than a few folks, if given the opportunity in 2017.

Not sure he would have thrived. His skills were either to give or pull and run, which he did very well. This offense is more pull and throw and he struggled with that at times.
I think he would have been comparable to a little better than either of Morgan or Annexstad.
I believe Nelson would have been better in this offense than either Leidner and also been better than what we saw out of Morgan or Annexstad (as long as he would have been willing to compete each year)

Leidner was also held back by injuries and lack of depth. He was a great runner and that would have opened things up more, but due to Mitch being injured and no depth behind him they didn't run as much as they should have. They couldn't risk him going down.

Leidner was also held back by injuries and lack of depth. He was a great runner and that would have opened things up more, but due to Mitch being injured and no depth behind him they didn't run as much as they should have. They couldn't risk him going down.

For all of you that think Liedner would have been good, he would not have. he was BAD at Lakeville South he was at the U end of story, no scheme or coach would have made him better. He was BAD.

PN9 basically told Kill he either needed to be given the #1 spot the next year or he was gone. Kill showed him the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not my intel. PN was recruited to run a specific type of offense. JK decided to change the offense and give the job to ML, because he thought RUTM would best achieve B10 wins. That's why PN left.

Top Bottom