Richard Coffey refutes rumor they hate Pitino

There's no way that Amir's best shot at the NBA is as a PG.

Agreed but in the "positionless" world of basketball now, he could end up being a match up nightmare guarding a 6-3 point. His advantage would be on defense. Hard to see him being able to the primary ball handler for 30-40 minutes a game. If whoever wrote the evaluation was paying attention, he might have noticed when he hit the hot streak at the end of the season Dupree was handling the ball a lot more and Amir had more freedom to slash and get open catch and shoot options.

I tend to agree with you, but I suspect we'll still see quite a bit of Amir at PG.
I suspect we will see *some*. And they will often be changed on particular trips up the floor as well. I read the note in the article to convey that every bit of ball-handling Amir does is helpful to his pro prospects, as handling the ball is especially important for an average 3 point shooter in the NBA. Without being forced to handle the ball as much as he did last year, he wouldn't be where he is now in that regard.

Journalism standards have dropped a ton for this and many other reasons, but probably primarily due to corporate consolidation of the industry.

There are now 25% fewer newsroom jobs than there were just 10 years ago. Think about that for a minute.

In a time with unfettered access to "information," we have the lowest-quality information available.

JTG

This could lead to an entirely different conversation so I'm going to limit my comments on the topic. But to put it simply -- with the rise of social media, lots of people seem like reporters when they really aren't. If someone has a blue checkmark next to their name on Twitter/Instagram/etc. it just means that they are who they actually say they are, and has nothing to do with how factual their tweets or posts are. The problem isn't the "media" itself. The problem is that people these days have difficulty determining which "media" sources are valid and which aren't.

Korzo isn't your typical "media" guy. He's just a guy on the radio who says stuff. (MeatSauce is on the radio too, and has like 80k followers on Twitter. Doesn't mean he's a valid source, but plenty of those 80k probably think he is.)

Seems like an accurate assessment:

"Coffey closed the season playing the best basketball of his career, and while it may not be enough to get him drafted, his growth since moving over to play point forward has been noteworthy. He has good vision for the position, terrific size and some burst off the dribble, and has quietly developed into an intriguing prospect. Coffey is not the most convincing three-point shooter, which is his biggest impediment to an NBA roster, but he brings something to the table defensively and as a secondary creator that’s worth noting. He might benefit from returning for one more season and spending an entire year playing on the ball."

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/04/23/nba-draft-2019-big-board-zion-williamson-ja-morant-rj-barrett

JTG

This part is odd to me. It might be better for Amir (or maybe not, I don't know), but it sure doesn't seem like that would be best for the team.

Murphy, Happ and Reid Travis didn't get combine invites. I think Happ is considered a better prospect than Amir.

Murphy, Happ and Reid Travis didn't get combine invites. I think Happ is considered a better prospect than Amir.

It is interesting how Pitino's "hack a happ" did a great deal to expose a major weakness in his game. You could see from his reaction in the post-game press conference that Happ knew his NBA dreams had been shattered. Up until that, all you could heard from the national media was how much of a dominate player he was... but you won't have much of a career if the coach has to put you on the bench during the final minutes of the game.

It is interesting how Pitino's "hack a happ" did a great deal to expose a major weakness in his game. You could see from his reaction in the post-game press conference that Happ knew his NBA dreams had been shattered. Up until that, all you could heard from the national media was how much of a dominate player he was... but you won't have much of a career if the coach has to put you on the bench during the final minutes of the game.
It's as if our coach knows what he's doing [emoji23]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I tend to agree with you, but I suspect we'll still see quite a bit of Amir at PG.

In the scrimage last fall Carr and Coffey played together, Carr played off ball more than with it, that might be because Coffey was designated the PG if Carr wasn't eligible but Carr looked comfortable playing off ball, not sure if Coffey comes back he won't be playing PG.

NBA people knew way before hack a Happ that he had the problem. They knew if he could not turn, face and make a shot longer than 3 feet that he had no future. Tons of bad free throw shooters in the NBA, but if you can not play to the court on offense your dead.

Invites are not done yet, you can get one anytime from April 26th-May 3rd according to the University of Tennessee . They stop at 69 and have not yet extended 69.

Agreed but in the "positionless" world of basketball now, he could end up being a match up nightmare guarding a 6-3 point. His advantage would be on defense. Hard to see him being able to the primary ball handler for 30-40 minutes a game. If whoever wrote the evaluation was paying attention, he might have noticed when he hit the hot streak at the end of the season Dupree was handling the ball a lot more and Amir had more freedom to slash and get open catch and shoot options.
I hear yah. I just don't think that he's quick enough to handle the better point guards in the NBA. If he could develop a solid outside shot.....Coffey could be a really good NBA player.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

He will eventually be awarded a good look as he has some high end skills for someone with the length. His weaknesses are areas he can mark up and he is a tireless worker.

In the scrimage last fall Carr and Coffey played together, Carr played off ball more than with it, that might be because Coffey was designated the PG if Carr wasn't eligible but Carr looked comfortable playing off ball, not sure if Coffey comes back he won't be playing PG.

If you watch a lot of Carr’s highlights from his freshman year, there are a lot of them where he is making plays by receiving a pass. After watching that I thought this very same thing, that we are probably still going to see a decent amount of Amir at the point. Only this time it won’t be out of necessity but because it provides an advantage.

Sadly, people tend to believe what they want to. We live in a time, in my opinion, when conspiracy theories are more readily embraced, or manufactured, to advance personal and political agendas. Thankfully Richard Coffey has stepped up to quash the false rumor that his son hated his coach. Both father and son deserved our respect, and Richard deserves our thanks. I hope some lessons have been learned.

Pitino certainly implemented the Hack a Happ strategy effectively in that game and deserves credit for doing so. But let's not pretend like he invented it, or exposed a weakness in Happ that no one knew about. There was a whole thread on the Wisconsin board a month before we played them about how it would probably be best to pull him near the end of close games. Happ's FT issues have been well known his entire career.

if you were an nba scout. would happ travis, or murphy potentially make your team better in the future..probably not....amir maybe...hes a 40 percent spot up shooter and proved he can handle the ball... his assist to turnover ratio was fine, and he gets to the basket at will.. not to mention his best aspect is in the open floor, which translates to nba (why scouts care more about aau than college ball)..kid needs to do whats best for him....not saying its nba...but hes the best player we've had on this team in a long time, that doesn't limit our potential so id love to have him back

Top Bottom