Richard Coffey refutes rumor they hate Pitino

It could be a lose-lose if Amir decides to stay in the draft, forgoes his eligibility and goes undrafted and has to play in the G-league. And thats a lot more likely than him being a first rounder or even an early second.

Under the new rules if he goes undrafted he can return to the Gophers if he wants to.

Millions2Spare

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I have only a couple people on my 'ignore' list, but years ago I put Mr Millions on mine for reasons I have forgotten. But this episode has given me a major clue.

I don't think going to the combine precludes his returning to school.

JTG

If you attend the combine then you can return to school if undrafted.

If you do not get invited then May 29th is the deadline to return and undrafted players cannot return to school.

Only if he gets a combine invite which seems unlikely. So I'm expecting May 29th to be his deadline.

Forgot about that part, you're right. If what he and his dad are saying are true, then I think he will return if he doesn't get invited to the combine.

I don't think going to the combine precludes his returning to school.

JTG

The opposite. I believe he needs a combine invite in order to test the draft and then return to school if he is not drafted. If no combine invite, he will be making a point-of-no-return decision if he actually enters the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The opposite. I believe he needs a combine invite in order to test the draft and then return to school if he is not drafted. If no combine invite, he will be making a point-of-no-return decision if he actually enters the draft.

Yes, I think we're saying the same thing, just differently. IF he goes to the combine and goes undrafted, he can come back. My original statement was that going to the combine doesn't mean he can't come back.

JTG

Yes, I think we're saying the same thing, just differently. IF he goes to the combine and goes undrafted, he can come back. My original statement was that going to the combine doesn't mean he can't come back.

JTG

Got it. You must have some Russian blood in you. They use a lot of double negatives in their language.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didnt realize there was speculation GH being the source. Comes down to if believe Richard or Korzo. Just seems to me a reporter should have rock solid, multiple sources to report such a thing, and even then Im not sure.

Those days are long gone in Journalism. Reporting used to be about being right, now it is about being first. The news cycle changes so quickly that nobody really remembers if you are wrong or holds you accountable for running with bad information, but if you are the one to break a story you get tons of attention for that.

Glad Richard addressed it even though it is sad that he had to. Made zero sense that Coffey would not come back to the U if he didn't end up in the NBA. Glad that Richard definitely put that speculation to bed.

The family is handling this exactly as you should, take a look at your prospects for the next level and if it doesn't seem like it is going to work out then come back to college and try to use that extra year to prepare for the following season's draft.

Amir is ranked 77 in Sports Illustrated's top 100 draft prospects today.

Last edited:

Those days are long gone in Journalism. Reporting used to be about being right, now it is about being first. The news cycle changes so quickly that nobody really remembers if you are wrong or holds you accountable for running with bad information, but if you are the one to break a story you get tons of attention for that.

Glad Richard addressed it even though it is sad that he had to. Made zero sense that Coffey would not come back to the U if he didn't end up in the NBA. Glad that Richard definitely put that speculation to bed.

The family is handling this exactly as you should, take a look at your prospects for the next level and if it doesn't seem like it is going to work out then come back to college and try to use that extra year to prepare for the following season's draft.

Korzo isn't a reporter. He's a lawyer with a side gig as a weekend sports radio guy. There's a huge difference.

Seems like an accurate assessment:

"Coffey closed the season playing the best basketball of his career, and while it may not be enough to get him drafted, his growth since moving over to play point forward has been noteworthy. He has good vision for the position, terrific size and some burst off the dribble, and has quietly developed into an intriguing prospect. Coffey is not the most convincing three-point shooter, which is his biggest impediment to an NBA roster, but he brings something to the table defensively and as a secondary creator that’s worth noting. He might benefit from returning for one more season and spending an entire year playing on the ball."

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/04/23/nba-draft-2019-big-board-zion-williamson-ja-morant-rj-barrett

JTG

Korzo isn't a reporter. He's a lawyer with a side gig as a weekend sports radio guy. There's a huge difference.

Fair enough in regards to Korzo but still doesn't change the fact that Journalism standards have dropped a ton in the race to be first as opposed to making sure you are right.

Fair enough in regards to Korzo but still doesn't change the fact that Journalism standards have dropped a ton in the race to be first as opposed to making sure you are right.

Journalism standards have dropped a ton for this and many other reasons, but probably primarily due to corporate consolidation of the industry.

There are now 25% fewer newsroom jobs than there were just 10 years ago. Think about that for a minute.

In a time with unfettered access to "information," we have the lowest-quality information available.

JTG

"Coffey closed the season playing the best basketball of his career, and while it may not be enough to get him drafted, his growth since moving over to play point forward has been noteworthy. He has good vision for the position, terrific size and some burst off the dribble, and has quietly developed into an intriguing prospect. Coffey is not the most convincing three-point shooter, which is his biggest impediment to an NBA roster, but he brings something to the table defensively and as a secondary creator that’s worth noting. He might benefit from returning for one more season and spending an entire year playing on the ball."

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/04/23/nba-draft-2019-big-board-zion-williamson-ja-morant-rj-barrett

JTG

According to some on here this is not true. I think Amir is a very good defensive player and one of the reasons he would be draftable. He has the length and quickness to guard most 2's and 3's and quite a few pg's as well.

JTG

Interesting note. By all accounts here, it is highly unlikely he plays "on the ball" next year with Carr in the mix. From a team standpoint, we are most likely better off with Amir playing off the ball. With the struggles he had at the point that we saw most of the season, it's interesting to see an "expert" noting improvement in that area of his game. Sometimes some dispassionate objective observations can be helpful for us.

Most publications have him outside the top 100, my guess is he will be back for a senior season.

Interesting note. By all accounts here, it is highly unlikely he plays "on the ball" next year with Carr in the mix. From a team standpoint, we are most likely better off with Amir playing off the ball. With the struggles he had at the point that we saw most of the season, it's interesting to see an "expert" noting improvement in that area of his game. Sometimes some dispassionate objective observations can be helpful for us.

Found that interesting as well. If Amir's best shot at the NBA truly being viewed as a PG (I don't know, I'm not a NBA talent evaluator), it's an interesting spot for Pitino. As a coach you want to give your (NBA-potential) guys the best chance to make it and then stick in the NBA, but at the same time you have to be cognizant of what's best for the team. This leads me to believe perhaps we'll see Carr playing off the ball more than we expected.

He must be starving with his day job, because a lawyer show know better than to just spread baseless claims about someone on the radio!

Yeah, those last three words ("on the ball") caught me by surprise, too. I can't imagine it will be our objective as a team (or in Coffey's best interest) to have him on the ball.

JTG

Found that interesting as well. If Amir's best shot at the NBA truly being viewed as a PG (I don't know, I'm not a NBA talent evaluator), it's an interesting spot for Pitino. As a coach you want to give your (NBA-potential) guys the best chance to make it and then stick in the NBA, but at the same time you have to be cognizant of what's best for the team. This leads me to believe perhaps we'll see Carr playing off the ball more than we expected.

You want to get guys to the NBA, sure, but RP has to win above all else. I'm expecting Carr to be the main PG.

There's no way that Amir's best shot at the NBA is as a PG.

Top Bottom