Marcus: How cool would it be if Duke played MN to give Tre/Hurt chance to play in MN

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Some of the responses to this tweet are hilarious:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Some of the responses to this tweet are hilarious:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

ummm- I think they were given every opportunity to play in Minnesota. What would be cool is if we faced them in the NCAAs and beat them.

Oh Marcus... the only reason it would be nice is to have Duke here for a game, which would be great for our schedule.

ummm- I think they were given every opportunity to play in Minnesota. What would be cool is if we faced them in the NCAAs and beat them.

Yes they had their chance.

I would love that game here. K has enough power to get the game he wants and hoping it would be us. Beat em twice. Win the game here and beat them in the tourney.

Duke doesn’t play true road games out of conference with the exception of Big Ten/ACC Challenge.

Duke doesn’t play true road games out of conference with the exception of Big Ten/ACC Challenge.

K can get that game in the challenge but will likely get one of the conference powers.

K has enough power to get the game he wants

Why would coach k have power over any other program? Frankly, If a request was made I’d prefer the gophers reply that where an opponent’s players come from carries zero weight in scheduling, along with a middle finger salute.

Why would coach k have power over any other program? Frankly, If a request was made I’d prefer the gophers reply that where an opponent’s players come from carries zero weight in scheduling, along with a middle finger salute.

He does not have power over other programs but he has power with the powers at ESPN who televises the event. When is the last time that Duke played a mediocre program in the challenge, seems like a long time.

Lol.

Trust me Marcus, Matthew and Tre don't need anybody else pandering to them. They got plenty of that during their recruitment process and made their choice to go out of state. If you want to continue to drool over them because they happen to be from Minnesota, I suggest buying a plane ticket and heading off to Durham. Then you can celebrate them all you want.

As it is, the Gophers have much bigger issues to address than trying to schedule a game to make Minnesota Dukies and local sports writers feel all warm and fuzzy.

Lol.

Trust me Marcus, Matthew and Tre don't need anybody else pandering to them. They got plenty of that during their recruitment process and made their choice to go out of state. If you want to continue to drool over them because they happen to be from Minnesota, I suggest buying a plane ticket and heading off to Durham. Then you can celebrate them all you want.

As it is, the Gophers have much bigger issues to address than trying to schedule a game to make Minnesota Dukies and local sports writers feel all warm and fuzzy.

I only want to play them if we are in a good position to beat them. If Coffey comes back, and we sign a decent transfer big, we might have a shot next year. As much as I despise Duke, it would be really awful to lose to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only want to play them if we are in a good position to beat them. If Coffey comes back, and we sign a decent transfer big, we might have a shot next year. As much as I despise Duke, it would be really awful to lose to them.

I can agree with that. But since that hasn't been the case in decades, I'm not counting on it.

Even if it did, the matchup would be billed by Marcus as a great "homecoming" and the level of sucking up to Coach K, Duke, Matthew and Tre would ultimately overshadow the game itself. It'd be farcical on every level.

I can agree with that. But since that hasn't been the case in decades, I'm not counting on it.

Even if it did, the matchup would be billed by Marcus as a great "homecoming" and the level of sucking up to Coach K, Duke, Matthew and Tre would ultimately overshadow the game itself. It'd be farcical on every level.

Exactly. Not interested in the least.

Exactly. Not interested in the least.

Hurt could never get his team to state.

Duke hasn't won the ACC since 2010!

What the hell is the big deal here? Does anyone know?

I want to play the best programs no matter who is on their team. Great exposure for the program and great for the team.

Zero interest. I lose interest in any MN players who choose to not put on a Gopher uniform. Good for them and their college choice. As far as I'm concerned they are gone AND forgotten. Go Gophers!

Lol.

Thank you couldn’t have said it better! Not sure who drools more him or Wolfson!

Minnesota sports journalism continues to amaze by displaying previously unattained levels of idiocy

I think two years ago when we all thought this would happen, that team when healthy would've had a shot

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Home and Aways are deeply considered in terms of the potential effect on recruitment. We played Iowa State away some years back, but not home.
It's not just because its Duke.

So he wants to play with one of the worst shooters of any blue blood ever maybe? Has there been a more overrated PG? Got the ranking because of his brother.

Home and Aways are deeply considered in terms of the potential effect on recruitment. We played Iowa State away some years back, but not home.
It's not just because its Duke.

The last time the Gophers played Iowa State in the regular season, it was a Home and Home. Gophers lost to Iowa State in one of Monson's last games on 11/21/06 at Williams Arena.

The next year the Gophers beat Iowa State in Ames on 11/20/07.

Prior to that the Gophers/Cyclones had a 4 year stretch when they alternated 1989-92.

This would only be more national publicity and reinforcement that Duke is handpicking the best players from here year after year. Maybe they just want to establish a satellite campus in Apple Valley!

This would be a terrible idea. Rewarding a player we wanted to come here with a game in their home state would be foolish from a recruiting standpoint. I know UNC under Dean and I think even MSU now does try to get their out of state players a game near their families. I get it. But there is no way on God's green earth that guys we recruited and teams we recruit against should be given the opportunity to rub it in our face. If a Minnesota kid goes to Liberty or Furman, we didn't recruit them, and they want to come and play here, that's a different story. Come on back. Stanford, Duke and Kentucky? Forget it.

Did Myron hack Marcus's twitter account? That's some solid trolling.

It seems to me so many folks are in some weird parochial bubble in regards to this topic. First of all, Duke is going to get who they want in terms of recruiting, regardless of whether they play a game here. I would argue that the bulk of potential recruits (local and national) would think its cool that we play Duke and that HELPS recruiting.

But sure, screw those local kids for going away. Lets schedule a game against Alabama St instead.

I mean, I dont love the fact that we would be catering to the guys who elected to go elsewhere. But I dont think you can pass up a date with Duke at home either.

This would be a terrible idea. Rewarding a player we wanted to come here with a game in their home state would be foolish from a recruiting standpoint. I know UNC under Dean and I think even MSU now does try to get their out of state players a game near their families. I get it. But there is no way on God's green earth that guys we recruited and teams we recruit against should be given the opportunity to rub it in our face. If a Minnesota kid goes to Liberty or Furman, we didn't recruit them, and they want to come and play here, that's a different story. Come on back. Stanford, Duke and Kentucky? Forget it.

Agreed. Duke coming here with MN players would hurt us in recruiting even more. Let's be honest though, I don't think the powers that be at ESPN will ever give us a game against Duke. Reminds me of two years ago when the Gophers had a preseason top-20 rank. That would've been a good year to mix it up and give us a game against an ACC power, and they still didn't give us Duke or UNC. Miami ended up being good that year, but it was the same typical matchup that we always draw.

Top Bottom