Pro Football Focus: Cashman goes in 2nd round, Jacob Huff in 6th round

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

• Pro Football Focus ranks former Gopher Blake Cashman as the No. 4 off-the-ball linebacker in the draft on Thursday. “Cashman earned a 90.0-plus overall grade this pasts season and tested out as one of the most athletic linebackers in the class at the combine,” they wrote.

• PFF has Cashman going in the second round at No. 59 overall and former Gophers safety Jacob Huff going in the sixth round at No. 197 overall. PFF said that Huff ranked fifth in overall grade and coverage grade among FBS safeties entering the draft.

http://www.startribune.com/will-vikings-break-trend-and-draft-an-offensive-lineman/508852752/

Go Gophers!!

Wow, Huff was completely off my draft radar. I figured Greene would pop up these mocks, but I hadn't even considered Huff. Wow, it'd be pretty cool to have 3 Gophers drafted! I think in a couple years 3 or more will become pretty commonplace around here.

Greene was hobbled with knee issues which probably affected his stock. Maybe the Vikings can quietly sign him as an UDFA.

Greene was hobbled with knee issues which probably affected his stock. Maybe the Vikings can quietly sign him as an UDFA.

I was thinking the same thing. His knees will prevent him from being drafted, unless it is very late.

Wow, Huff was completely off my draft radar. I figured Greene would pop up these mocks, but I hadn't even considered Huff. Wow, it'd be pretty cool to have 3 Gophers drafted! I think in a couple years 3 or more will become pretty commonplace around here.

While I appreciated Huff, I also did not think it likely that he'd be drafted. Hoping the best for him.

JTG

I've seen Cashman go between early 2nd to early 4th in post combine mocks.

Surprised about Huff, but his play at the end of the season must have turned some heads. Very nice to see him getting some recognition.

I don’t think PFF is predicting he will get drafted, just if it were up to them he would get drafted. And this is mostly based off of PFF’s own grade system in college, player, not necessarily based off of his pro potential or grade as a pro prospect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not bad for a walk-on and a low-middle 3-star.

There has been run on linebackers so this should help Blakes move up.

I don’t think PFF is predicting he will get drafted, just if it were up to them he would get drafted. And this is mostly based off of PFF’s own grade system in college, player, not necessarily based off of his pro potential or grade as a pro prospect.

I think teams eyeing linebacker talent will be looking at picking up Blake Cashman. He is sideline to sideline and a good blitzer. He might go to the Buffalo Bills, or Baltimore Ravens as he would be a good pass coverage or blitzer in those schemes. The fact that he can play special teams helps his cause too. I think Cashman will go soon today.

I'm hoping to see his name called tonight but I wouldn't be surprised if it's early tomorrow.

I'm hoping to see his name called tonight but I wouldn't be surprised if it's early tomorrow.

Didn't get the call today. Hopefully when he finally gets picked it will be by a team that will provide him with a great opportunity to make the team and earn playing time.

I think teams are all over the board on Cashman. I've seen him as high as early 2nd in PFFs eyes, and as low as undraftable, as ranked by the ESPN talking heads.

I think teams are all over the board on Cashman. I've seen him as high as early 2nd in PFFs eyes, and as low as undraftable, as ranked by the ESPN talking heads.
I think that 247 has him ranked 149 overall, which seems right, that will put him reasonably in play during the second half of the 4th round.

I think that 247 has him ranked 149 overall, which seems right, that will put him reasonably in play during the second half of the 4th round.

Would be nice to see the Vikes find a way to fit him in with 9 picks on day 3.

One of the problems with pro football focus is that they rank players ranked on grades given every play.
Giving grades on a play when you don’t know what the play is is pretty bad practice.
On one play a player can get an A from PFF but get an F from their coach. On another it can be the other way around.

247 had Cashman ranked 149th he went 157th that's a pretty good job of evaluation.

247 had Cashman ranked 149th he went 157th that's a pretty good job of evaluation.

Yeah.
Except half of the players rated ahead of him will wash out in the nfl. So is it a good job of evaluation? Or a good job of predicting where he would go in the draft?

Which are two different things

Yeah.
Except half of the players rated ahead of him will wash out in the nfl. So is it a good job of evaluation? Or a good job of predicting where he would go in the draft?

Which are two different things

Your endless ripping on the kid probably won’t stop until the day he retires from the NFL. The way you’ve talked about him lacking athleticism, ability going way back was insulting and demeaning and you’re the last person that should be commenting on assessments. He’s made the NFL via a middle round pick (and behind inferior players), has a high percentage chance to make a roster, and has an opportunity going forward to prove doubts about his shoulders wrong despite the high injury recurrence rate. Too bad he won’t be playing for the Vikes or someone else in the division.

Your endless ripping on the kid probably won’t stop until the day he retires from the NFL. The way you’ve talked about him lacking athleticism, ability going way back was insulting and demeaning and you’re the last person that should be commenting on assessments. He’s made the NFL via a middle round pick (and behind inferior players), has a high percentage chance to make a roster, and has an opportunity going forward to prove doubts about his shoulders wrong despite the high injury recurrence rate. Too bad he won’t be playing for the Vikes or someone else in the division.
Are you going to be okay?
What I said was in no way a rip on Cashman. It was a rip on PFF.

Glad he got picked. He got picked slightly above what I would’ve picked at. He got picked about where I would’ve thought he got picked at pre-combine.
I hope he has a great career. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t have a 5+ year career.

Top Bottom