Sid Hartman: Can U get football fans back?, Coyle says people have been renewing tix

Agreed, SON. A variety of bold and creative moves are required to attain the goal of a packed stadium for home games. So far, we haven't seen many. The only things I have seen suspending the donation increases, forming a Fan Relations Board, and the slow and underwhelming rollout of the Gopher Loyalty Program.
I would be excited to see BIG changes to ticket pricing, game-day experience, and seat donations. Whatever they are currently doing isn't cutting it.

Minnesota Gophers working on increasing attendance

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2018...ll-how-to-solve-declining-football-attendance

Are there seatbacks in your section? My back can’t handle a bench for long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I prefer the cushion seat backs, which I've had every year...I also tend to move around the stadium and my seats in that section allow for easy in and out access...but there are permanent seat back options in that price range.

Win.

It's the only solution.

Even winning may not be the solution to empty seats in college football stadiums.

Nick Saban 'disappointed' in spotty Bama student-attendance numbers

Alabama coach Nick Saban has seen the empty seats around Bryant-Denny Stadium, and he doesn't like it.

During a news conference on Wednesday night, Saban took aim at the student section, which he said was only half full during Saturday's 56-14 home win over Louisiana-Lafayette.

Attendance has been a pet peeve of Saban's in recent years. His mini-rant on Wednesday came out of left field when he was asked about the support fans have shown for quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, not the capacity of the student section.

In 2013, Saban said that if his players are asked to compete for 60 minutes then "you should stay there and support the team for the game." He said that recruits are there and "we like to see a full stadium."

But as Alabama keeps winning, it seems that fans have become less inclined to attend lower-profile games such as Saturday's, which matched the Crimson Tide against a Group of 5 opponent.

"When I first came here, you used to play that tradition [video] thing up there and everybody was cheering and excited and happy and there was great spirit," Saban said. "Now, they don't even cheer. They introduce our players and nobody even cheers."

As AL.com noted, the Louisiana-Lafayette game had an early kickoff at 11 a.m. CT Saturday on parents weekend on the Tuscaloosa campus.

Read more at: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...students-not-showing-louisiana-lafayette-game

Win, yes.
In all phases, they should win. Doesn't just apply to the football team, but all aspects of Gopher Gameday Operations.
They should "win" season ticket sales ("win" the former season ticket holders back)
They should "win" the tailgate and game-day experience.
They should "win" in selling student tickets to pack the East end of the stadium.
They should "win" home game attendance.

Coyle has hired a coach he believes will grow and sustain success on the field. They need to sustain success in the other areas too.

Has a poor B1G west has hurt attendance too? Iowa and Wisco maybe Nebraska have been the only competitive teams for a while now. Do you think an improvement not only with MN, but with the entire west, will help attendance levels?

Win, yes.
In all phases, they should win. Doesn't just apply to the football team, but all aspects of Gopher Gameday Operations.
They should "win" season ticket sales ("win" the former season ticket holders back)
They should "win" in selling student tickets to pack the East end of the stadium.

Coyle has hired a coach he believes will grow and sustain success on the field. They need to sustain success in the other areas too.

Good Post

No surprise, but no plans to lower "donation" levels. That's the real elephant in the room. Yes, revenue would drop a great deal initially but in the long run it would mean more STH and long term revenue increases.

The Scholarship Seating across all sports brings in $10,000,000 a year. That cash cow ain't going away. He's doing the only viable thing he can. Lower the single-game admissions in hopes of attracting former ST holders, but more importantly adding new attendees who may begin to fill in empty sections in ST holders areas to create a better game day experience. We ST holders will not be shown much love. It is what it is.

20k aren't showing up at the games even for free.

I get the idea that folks seem them as future possible ticket holders but man they're not showing up as it is, and they're not showing up for free either I don't think. I think the perspective pool of remotely realistic future ticket holders is in fact quite small.

This thinking could likely get you a job in the athletic department.

1. Getting students to the game should be priority 1 for the AD.
2. Getting students to the game should be priority 2 for the AD.
3. Getting students to the game should be priority 3 for the AD.

Maybe just saying, “you can have free tickets” won’t do it, but the answer is quite simple - make it an event. The place to be. Create an atmosphere outside the stadium - tailgating, bands, wet t-shirt contests, whatever it takes. Winning may be a factor to bring us old farts to the game, but I’d argue it isn’t the #1 thing to get students there. Making it a fun event that everyone does where they can blow off steam is. Other schools don’t seem to have an issue, yet a school out size does? Dumb.

We need someone to think beyond, “tickets are cheap now and they don’t come.” Get the students to the game - however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps a diversity requirement for graduation to include a minimum of three (3) home football games per year of full-time enrollment. Imagine the game day excitement with thousands of sullen gen zzzz’s staring at their phones.

Beyond the other truths of most good tailgating scenes mentioned above, like free-flowing booze and a party atmosphere, bring some comfort to the folks with the larger wallets. Contoured plastic folding seats > aluminum bleachers. For the elder ticket holders perhaps an optional (mandatory?) lift chair to help them get up on their feet for third downs. Solid WiFi should be a given in 2019.

More replays. Larger scoreboards.

Perhaps a diversity requirement for graduation to include a minimum of three (3) home football games per year of full-time enrollment. Imagine the game day excitement with thousands of sullen gen zzzz’s staring at their phones.

Beyond the other truths of most good tailgating scenes mentioned above, like free-flowing booze and a party atmosphere, bring some comfort to the folks with the larger wallets. Contoured plastic folding seats > aluminum bleachers. For the elder ticket holders perhaps an optional (mandatory?) lift chair to help them get up on their feet for third downs. Solid WiFi should be a given in 2019.

More replays. Larger scoreboards.

As its 2019 whose phone doesnt work fine on game day without wifi? With Project Fi mine worked flawlessly and with Tmobile now too. Seriously get on a proper data plan.

Win, yes.

Just what does this mean? I have never seen anyone on GH give tangible/realistic ideas on how to increase ticket holders.

Just what does this mean? I have never seen anyone on GH give tangible/realistic ideas on how to increase ticket holders.

Then you haven't been reading. People have talked about bundling packages with football or hockey. Also, there have been some some specific suggestions about improving the tailgate atmosphere. And (much more generally), the U could provide customer-focused customer service commensurate with some of the fan relations departments at the local pro teams.

As its 2019 whose phone doesnt work fine on game day without wifi? With Project Fi mine worked flawlessly and with Tmobile now too. Seriously get on a proper data plan.

WiFi and cellular seems to be a common complaint in past threads . Perhaps the infrastructure has gotten to the point local cellular towers and WiFi are able to handle high density/30-50k people streaming video. I know US Bank was designed from the ground up for high density high data.

Where do you sit?

Some places get better reception than others.

WiFi and cellular seems to be a common complaint in past threads . Perhaps the infrastructure has gotten to the point local cellular towers and WiFi are able to handle high density/30-50k people streaming video. I know US Bank was designed from the ground up for high density high data.

I've read that as well. We dont even have 30-50k fans at the game let alone all streaming video at same time. Hell half of the fans probably dont even know how to stream.

Then you haven't been reading. People have talked about bundling packages with football or hockey. Also, there have been some some specific suggestions about improving the tailgate atmosphere. And (much more generally), the U could provide customer-focused customer service commensurate with some of the fan relations departments at the local pro teams.

I have read hundreds of posts in various threads that have complained about game day atmosphere and specifically low attendance at football games. My point is that 90%+ of everything I have read is complaints and quite honestly silly ideas of giving away free tickets. Rule number one in the ticket business is that entry into an event must have value. The tailgating scene is average on its best days, but part of that is a logistics issue in that the university is fairly land locked.

The bar scene around the stadium is really poor as there are only a handful of drinking establishments close to the stadium, for that matter the food scene isn't that good either.

Winning will cure a lifetime of apathy if Gopher football became relevant. It would become a 6-7 time a year event to be cherished, we just need to start dominating on the gridiron and everything else will take care of itself.

I am not a ticket marketing expert, it's not my job. However, the ticketing office shouldn't just cross their fingers for the team to win games to entice people to buy football tickets. They and the athletic department need to innovate to attract more fans and hook them for the long term. I want to see more of an effort in this realm.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I've read that as well. We dont even have 30-50k fans at the game let alone all streaming video at same time. Hell half of the fans probably dont even know how to stream.

I have the same issue at US Bank and Target Center...WiFi is hit or miss. The number of available access points is usually the bottleneck I believe...

I have read hundreds of posts in various threads that have complained about game day atmosphere and specifically low attendance at football games. My point is that 90%+ of everything I have read is complaints and quite honestly silly ideas of giving away free tickets. Rule number one in the ticket business is that entry into an event must have value. The tailgating scene is average on its best days, but part of that is a logistics issue in that the university is fairly land locked.

The bar scene around the stadium is really poor as there are only a handful of drinking establishments close to the stadium, for that matter the food scene isn't that good either.

Winning will cure a lifetime of apathy if Gopher football became relevant. It would become a 6-7 time a year event to be cherished, we just need to start dominating on the gridiron and everything else will take care of itself.

There are seven bars within a couple blocks of TCF, and a wide variety of food options in that same couple blocks. Multiple food trucks in the area between TCF and Mariucci. A two minute light rail ride to West Bank or five minute walk to Dinkytown gets one access to 10-12 more bars and places to eat. If you are a craft beer person and a foodie, both Republic and Town Hall Brewery at Seven Corners are great places before or after the game.

Tailgating is what you make of it...I have a handful places I go right around the stadium. Some are friends I know, some I met walking the tailgate lots. Always a good time. The tailgate lots are much closer to the stadium than most other places I've been to.

I make a day of it...usually go early and stay a couple hours after. Not saying this is you, but it seems like most the complaints are folks that want to swing in a half hour before kickoff and expect not to hit traffic or have trouble grabbing a drink or food beforehand.

HoustonTXGopher I have read hundreds of posts in various threads that have complained about game day atmosphere and specifically low attendance at football games. My point is that 90%+ of everything I have read is complaints and quite honestly silly ideas of giving away free tickets. Rule number one in the ticket business is that entry into an event must have value. The tailgating scene is average on its best days, but part of that is a logistics issue in that the university is fairly land locked.

TALON- Georgia State, in Atlanta, has trouble bringing in fans especially their students. When they played in the old Atlanta Dome they even tried a money drop.

HoustonG -The bar scene around the stadium is really poor as there are only a handful of drinking establishments close to the stadium, for that matter the food scene isn't that good either.

TALON- I think this is important point because not everyone wants to tailgate the entire time before the game and would like to go somewhere after the game especially in Minnesota's winters. Is the area your stadium located in not able to support Bar/restaurants before and after the football season? GSU had the same problem at Georgia Southern at one time for fans coming from the west on I-16. Many that come from the east often head to Savannah Ga.

HoustonG -Winning will cure a lifetime of apathy if Gopher football became relevant. It would become a 6-7 time a year event to be cherished, we just need to start dominating on the gridiron and everything else will take care of itself.

TALON - I agree. Every fan of a team loves to win. A team that can win 8-10 games a year with its share of wins against top rated teams makes the fans more rabid and they are looking at the opposing team as a looser rather than a possible winner especially at home.

HoustonTXGopher I have read hundreds of posts in various threads that have complained about game day atmosphere and specifically low attendance at football games. My point is that 90%+ of everything I have read is complaints and quite honestly silly ideas of giving away free tickets. Rule number one in the ticket business is that entry into an event must have value. The tailgating scene is average on its best days, but part of that is a logistics issue in that the university is fairly land locked.

TALON- Georgia State, in Atlanta, has trouble bringing in fans especially their students. When they played in the old Atlanta Dome they even tried a money drop.

HoustonG -The bar scene around the stadium is really poor as there are only a handful of drinking establishments close to the stadium, for that matter the food scene isn't that good either.

TALON- I think this is important point because not everyone wants to tailgate the entire time before the game and would like to go somewhere after the game especially in Minnesota's winters. Is the area your stadium located in not able to support Bar/restaurants before and after the football season? GSU had the same problem at Georgia Southern at one time for fans coming from the west on I-16. Many that come from the east often head to Savannah Ga.

HoustonG -Winning will cure a lifetime of apathy if Gopher football became relevant. It would become a 6-7 time a year event to be cherished, we just need to start dominating on the gridiron and everything else will take care of itself.

TALON - I agree. Every fan of a team loves to win. A team that can win 8-10 games a year with its share of wins against top rated teams makes the fans more rabid and they are looking at the opposing team as a looser rather than a possible winner especially at home.

As I pointed out in post #85, there are plenty of places close. It is not an issue.

As I pointed out in post #85, there are plenty of places close. It is not an issue.

You must have put your post up as I was typing to Houston or I didn't get to your post before I posted.

Sounds good to me!

Always amazed at how Minneapolis can roll out the red carpet for a Superbowl, Final Four, All Star baseball game, and in general celebrate every vikings game, but somehow the general feel I get is that gopher games are something to be managed so as to cause as little disturbance as possible and any crowds or excitement should be kept to a minimum and dear god do not create any traffic problems 7 to 8 days a year. For example Final Four, suspend open container rules across Nicollet Mall, Gopher game - Can't get from the Alumni center across the street to the game without dumping your beer.

What the hell is wrong with you?!?! Just chug it!

What the hell is wrong with you?!?! Just chug it!

Then what do i drink while standing in line for security? :) More a comment on expanding into one large party place surrounding the stadium on game days, which we have shown we can do when we want to ( i.e. final four/superbowl )

Top Bottom