Saint Johns and Saint Thomas Football Rivalry

hungan1

Reaction score
Saint Johns and Saint Thomas Football Rivalry History

I don't think Saint Johns and Saint Bens will vote to kick Saint Thomas out of the MIAC not only for being Catholic colleges, but the Johnnie-Tommy rivalry has a long history.

Part of it started when Saint John's a German Catholic college expelled an Irish kid Ignatius Aloysius O-Shaughnessy from Stillwater for skipping vespers to go drink beer in Saint John's woods. He was caught and expelled and the rest was history. Irish and German Catholics of the day weren't exactly very cozy with one another. I don't think he would have met the same fate if he was a Stearns County German kid. Just saying.

He played for the Johnnie Football team, but that did not matter. Saint John's lost was Saint Thomas' gain. Ergo, there are many building in Saint Thomas named after one I.A. O'Saughnessy. That was a sore point of conversations with some of the Benedictines at Saint John's back in the 70s. They remembered that historical blunder all too well.

https://news.stthomas.edu/tommie-johnnie-rivalry-ia-oshaughnessy/

http://thecatholicspirit.com/news/local-news/tommie-johnnie-game-history-rivalry/

Saint John's vs Saint Thomas All Time Rivalry Games since 1901: 52-35-1.
https://gojohnnies.com/documents/2009/1/19/SJU All-time Results by Opponent H.pdf?id=206

Last edited:

Isn't there a message board for the schools that are in the MIAC...? Or some twitter account that would be a better fit... instead of posting stuff here that 99.99999% of Minnesotans don't give a rip about.

Isn't there a message board for the schools that are in the MIAC...? Or some twitter account that would be a better fit... instead of posting stuff here that 99.99999% of Minnesotans don't give a rip about.

The other thread is 15 pages strong, so...

I can understand why MIAC football coaches would want Saint Thomas to remain in the MIAC. The MIAC has a rich football history.

With Caruso as coach, dominance is tilting Saint Thomas' way for now. But, if you look at the historical record Concordia-Moorehead, Gustavus, and Bethel all had their turn at being MIAC champions.

What does it matter if it is academic first and athletics second whether Saint Thomas come out the dominant school for the All Sports Trophy? Obviously eight college presidents think sports is important enough over academics that they want to ouster Saint Thomas from the MIAC.

Moderator, can you please move this to the "STrib: MIAC rivals plot ouster of St. Thomas" thread?

Last edited:

I dont know anything about DIII football.

How many stars and dots does each school have for recruiting? That should determine if its a level playing field. Thats what we do on this forum with big ten schools. :cool02:

Come on posters and mods, can we please keep the MIAC Football threads off this Gopher Football Forum site?

Moderator, can you please move this to the "STrib: MIAC rivals plot ouster of St. Thomas" thread?
Mods, how about just removing all the MIAC junk off this board all together.

There are a lot of Gopher fans who are MIAC grads...Might surprise you. During a slow time like this it is good to have something to talk about...not muchGopher football news. Even the.coach skipped his call in gig on Sunday...

Last edited:

There are a lot of Gopher fans who are MIAC grads...Might surprise you. During a slow time like this it is good to have something to talk about...not muchGopher football news. Even the.coach skipped his call in gig on Sunday...

There's plenty of crossover among actual alumni. MIAC undergrad to UofM grad or a specialty degree, transfers, plus general fan interest as the UofM is the state's marquee school.

There's plenty of crossover among actual alumni. MIAC undergrad to UofM grad or a specialty degree, transfers, plus general fan interest as the UofM is the state's marquee school.

Very true.

And I am one of them. I don't follow the sports pages anymore, so I get my fix on message boards and like imthewalrus says, it is football-related news and it can be interesting. Not to hijack (and I'm not a graduate of either institution, but have witnessed this), spectator behavior at the basketball games in St. Thomas and St. John's match-ups rivals anything that the Cameron Crazies put forth at Duke. One of the wildest events you will ever see, especially in Collegeville.

Don't click on it then. I'm all for keeping Bison crap off the board....but the occasional Tommie/Jonnie thread? Who cares?

Thanks for posting this. I found it to be very interesting and will definitely be looking into the biography. Plus my sister went to St. Thomas. She'd probably be interested in reading it as well.

I'm not offended by the MIAC talk on here but it has always been a super weird concept to me how much Minnesotans care about D3 sports.

What I usually do is read the titles of the threads and when they don't interest me, I move on to the next one. Sometimes I am not sure if I am interested, but I'll read the first few posts and if I think it's interesting I'll keep going, if not I'll stop. It's kind of fun little exercise.

Don't click on it then. I'm all for keeping Bison crap off the board....but the occasional Tommie/Jonnie thread? Who cares?

Thanks for posting this. I found it to be very interesting and will definitely be looking into the biography. Plus my sister went to St. Thomas. She'd probably be interested in reading it as well.

I thought on a slow recruiting time of the year the SJU-UST rivalry stories will be worthwhile reading. 'Sorry if I offend anyone. I know a few folks who went to either Saint Johns or Saint Thomas. Some have transferred to the U from both schools.

I'm not offended by the MIAC talk on here but it has always been a super weird concept to me how much Minnesotans care about D3 sports.

You think it is weird that on a Minnesota football message board 6-10 of the posters like to talk about lower level football?
Do you think it is weird when Minnesotans talk about high school football?
Do you think it is weird when Minnesotans talk about the lynx?

Why are you so judgy?

Top Bottom