Transfer Rule amended

Is it possible this will lead to another wave of transfers given all the coaching changes this spring? This is the one "new" waiver criteria I was in favor of to have kids not have to sit out a year.

Student-athletes in some specific situations can now transfer and compete immediately without a waiver, the Division I Council decided this week. The Council met Thursday and Friday in Indianapolis.

College athletes who have enrolled in summer school and received athletics financial aid can transfer and play immediately without a waiver if their head coach departs before the first day of classes for the fall term. Additionally, walk-on student-athletes on teams that provide athletics aid and nonrecruited walk-ons can transfer and play immediately without a waiver. Those rules are effective for students who transfer to new schools this fall.

The changes were supported by the Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.

“It’s definitely a win in our books,” said Enna Selmanovic, SAAC vice chair and a former swimmer at Cincinnati who will graduate in May with a bachelor’s degree in biological sciences. “(Allowing student-athletes in certain situations to transfer and play immediately) provides student-athletes with more opportunities to have the best experience possible within their collegiate career.”

The Council also defeated a proposal that would have required schools to count financial aid for some postgraduate transfers against team limits for two years, regardless of whether the student remained enrolled after exhausting athletics eligibility. The proposal would have applied only to student-athletes competing in football and basketball.

Finally, Council members voted to prohibit student-athletes from competing for two different schools in championship season in the same academic year.

Go Gophers!!

Anytime the coach leaves a program, the players should be allowed to transfer and be eligible immediately. Regardless of the time of year.

Heretofore known as the Marcus Carr rule.

Carr's coach got fired after the season though. This rule is only if the coach departs before the first day of the fall term.

So I don't think this rule would have helped Carr if it had been enacted earlier. And most coaches don't leave during the summer, it's right after the season. So I don't think this rule will have a huge impact IMO if I'm reading it correctly.

Carr's coach got fired after the season though. This rule is only if the coach departs before the first day of the fall term.

So I don't think this rule would have helped Carr if it had been enacted earlier. And most coaches don't leave during the summer, it's right after the season. So I don't think this rule will have a huge impact IMO if I'm reading it correctly.

+1. This actually seems relatively meaningless. Don't most schools let incoming freshman commits out when there is a coaching change? We let both out when we fired Tubby. To me this only really adds that they can still get out if they've enrolled in summer school, but not many coaching changes happen that late.

Is it before the first day of the previous school year or the upcoming one?

If prior to the previous school year, what scenario would be different than before the policy changed?

Top Bottom