U of M athletic office announce price drops in tickets for 2019-20

alltimetwinsfan

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
U of M athletic office announce price amendments in tickets for 2019-20

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/...nnounced-for-mens-basketball-mens-hockey.aspx

The University of Minnesota athletic department announced today new season ticket pricing for men's basketball and men's hockey. Starting with the 2019-20 seasons, season tickets for basketball will start at $340 and hockey will start at $500. Basketball season ticket prices are the lowest they have been since the 1995-96 season, while hockey prices are the lowest they have been since the 1999-00 season. Fans can view seating maps for the 2019-20 seasons here.

"I think it's important to listen, collect information and then make the best decisions for our programs," said Athletics Director Mark Coyle. "That's what our staff did. They took feedback, studied the data and were able to find solutions. Our goal is to make Gopher athletics accessible to as many fans as possible, and I believe we have done that. We live in a vibrant community and state where entertainment options are endless. We have to be extremely competitive and creative with the options we offer, while still making sure that we provide every opportunity for our student athletes. We will continue to explore additional options for all our sports in the future."

Seventeen sections at Williams Arena will be available to fans for $340, which reflects a $190 price decrease from last season. The number of home games can vary each year, but over the last four seasons, the Gophers have averaged 17 games at The Barn, which would translate to an average ticket price of $20 for those seasons. Minnesota's complete schedule will be announced in a few months, but the Gophers will play the following Big Ten opponents at home next season: Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin.

Minnesota has also reduced six additional sections at Williams that directly overlook the court from $640 to $490 for the upcoming season. It was also announced that there would be no increases for any basketball season tickets for the general public.

Season tickets for five of the 24 sections at 3M Arena at Mariucci will now start at $500, which is $100 less than the $600 price for the 2018-19 season and $200 less than the $700 price for the 2017-18 season. Minnesota traditionally plays 20 home games a year, which means that the average ticket price for season ticket holders in these sections would be $25. Minnesota will play Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota Duluth, Niagara, North Dakota, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin at home next season. The Gophers will also welcome in-start rivals St. Cloud State, Minnesota State and Bemidji State for the Mariucci Classic and will play two of those three schools.

Minnesota also reduced four additional sections at 3M Arena at Mariucci from $800 to $700 and like basketball, there will not be any increases in hockey season tickets for the general public.

Being a season ticket holder for basketball and hockey will be the most affordable way to watch the Gophers play every game live during the upcoming season. In addition to paying the lowest price per game, season-ticket holders also receive access to great Gopher Loyalty Program benefits (discounts on merchandise, concessions, complimentary tickets to select sports and access to exclusive behind-the-scenes events), discounts on single-game tickets, monthly payment plan options and Gopher Score pre-sale access for on-sales, postseason tickets and more.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Awesome. I was already going to take the plunge, this cements it.

Why do I have a sinking feeling that my section won't be included in the price reduction?

Seat donations went way up in my section. From $250 per seat to $700.

Go Gophers!!

•Reduced price of Zone 5 by $190
•Reduced prize of Zone 4 by $140
•Expanded Zone 5 to include Sections 204, 205, 209, 210, 216, 217, 221, 222

So if you have upper deck seat chairs (like my family does), the price is not reduced. The price is only reduced for upper deck bench seats and the "Expanded Zone 5." If I'm seeing this seating chart correctly...

Our ticket price went down by $300!!! Our per seat contribution went up by..........$300. Thanks?

•Reduced price of Zone 5 by $190
•Reduced prize of Zone 4 by $140
•Expanded Zone 5 to include Sections 204, 205, 209, 210, 216, 217, 221, 222

So if you have upper deck seat chairs (like my family does), the price is not reduced. The price is only reduced for upper deck bench seats and the "Expanded Zone 5." If I'm seeing this seating chart correctly...

Sucks but I also just want the damn place to be full. I will probably go regardless so I would love to see the upper level fill up that seems to be pretty so-so unless its a good conference opponent.

Anybody have a link to the same chart for previous years?

It's all semantics

Conveniently not mentioned in the release is "per seat contribution" went up significantly (at least mine did), so it comes out as a wash. My per seat contribution (chairback upper deck) last year was $100 per seat, now it's $400. It's disingenuous not to mention that important fact in the news release.

2018-19: 2 tickets for $1280 + 2 "per seat contributions" totaling $200 = $1,480

2019-20: 2 tickets for $680 + 2 "per seat contributions" totaling $800 = $1,480.

So yes, the ticket prices went down significantly, but the significant not-mentioned "per seat contribution" increase took me right back to what I paid last year, and actually, I'll pay > $100 more this season because of my employee discount. That's wacked.

Last edited:

Seat donations went way up in my section. From $250 per seat to $700.

Go Gophers!!

Bleed, must've been an honest oversight in the release not to mention seat donations went up significantly! But when you click on the new seating chart with new prices, lo & behold, you see it there!

Last edited:

I wonder if the next step here is to announce lower single game ticket prices, in light of the fact that the base price of the season ticket is lower, regardless of the donation. I doubt that will make season ticket holders any too pleased, but I'm just trying to justify their reasoning here, other than to just piss people off.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Conveniently not mentioned in the release is "per seat contribution" went up significantly (at least mine did), so it comes out as a wash. My per seat contribution (chairback upper deck) last year was $100 per seat, now it's $400. It's disingenuous not to mention that important fact in the news release.

2018-19: 2 tickets for $1280 + 2 "per seat contributions" totaling $200 = $1,480

2019-20: 2 tickets for $680 + 2 "per seat contributions" totaling $800 = $1,480.

So yes, the ticket prices went down significantly, but the significant not-mentioned "per seat contribution" increase took me right back to what I paid last year, and actually, I'll pay > $100 more because of my employee discount. That's wacked.

Would have been a net gain prior to the change in last year's tax laws.

Appeal to new fans while pissing off existing...

SelectionSunday,

Same for me...I am in 102.

I'm in 213.

Would stomach this a lot better if they were up front about it. ... mention somewhere in the news release that "per seat contributions" would go up significantly for chairback-holding season-ticket holders. But of course they don't do that, they make you discover that on your own by clicking on the new seating chart/prices.

Appeal to new fans while pissing off existing...

Yep.

Will be interesting to see if this gets any more people in the nosebleeds.

Next thing is they'll raise these season ticket prices (and probably seat donation fees, too) in a year or two when they do another re-shuffle.

Last edited:

The marketing department almost did something right.

ALMOST.

Raising per seat donations to counter price discounts is just about the most tone-deaf action they could take. Way to stay consistent!

JTG

Would have been a net gain prior to the change in last year's tax laws.

My thought, too. Our net season ticket cost went down by $10 per seat, which is just a shift from ticket price to donation. I agree with whoever said that this is a way to draw in single-game ticket buyers. So remind me: why would anyone want to buy season tickets and incur a "donation" charge nearly two times the face value of the ticket?

Didnt anyone actually read the press release? I dont think it said anywhere that all season ticket packages were reduced. It said ticket prices are now STARTING at $340 and listed the number of sections. And then mentioned that 5 or so other sections are reduced. It them clearly states that other ticket levels will not see an increase in their season ticket prices. This entire press release was about the U offering cheaper tickets to the sections that are mostly unsold. People will find a reason to b!tch about anything!

My thought, too. Our net season ticket cost went down by $10 per seat, which is just a shift from ticket price to donation. I agree with whoever said that this is a way to draw in single-game ticket buyers. So remind me: why would anyone want to buy season tickets and incur a "donation" charge nearly two times the face value of the ticket?

How does this draw in single game ticket buyers. They havent announced single game ticket prices yet.

Yep.

Will be interesting to see if this gets any more people in the nosebleeds.

Next thing is they'll raise these season ticket prices (and probably seat donation fees, too) in a year or two when they do another re-shuffle.

This is the fear. We'll adjust to the new "lower" ticket prices and will have factored in the new higher seat donations. Then they can justify raising the already low ticket prices and before you know it, we're paying a lot more for the same seats from a year or two prior.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom