STrib: What the Gophers learned from spring ball 2019

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

The wide receivers are the strongest group by far.
The Gophers’ receiving corps is going to make this team look very good and likely win some games. Senior Tyler Johnson leads the way, a proven standout. But Rashod Bateman had an MVP-worthy spring game, and coach P.J. Fleck said the sophomore gained 12 pounds of muscle this offseason. Chris Autman-Bell has put together maybe the best spring of all the wideouts, according to Fleck. And Demetrius Douglas has impressed playing every receiver position and transitioning with ease. There’s a lot of depth in this group, and it will be exciting to watch.

The pass-rush will take a step forward.
The defense certainly wasn’t the Gophers’ strongest suit last year. And while they pulled it together toward the end of the season, 2019 might see some significant improvements. Senior Carter Coughlin was the team’s best pass-rusher last year, and he might be in for some big help from redshirt sophomore defensive lineman Boye Mafe. Fleck said with those two – plus other linemen like senior Tai’yon Devers, redshirt sophomore Esezi Otomewo, graduate student Micah Dew-Treadway, redshirt senior Winston DeLattiboudere and redshirt senior Sam Renner – he can be creative with his personnel packages, moving players around to have, for example, Mafe and Coughlin on the field together.

Thomas Rush might have some <eyes emoji> on him.
The sophomore linebacker really impressed Fleck with his 71-yard interception return for a touchdown in the spring game. He turned on his high school running back skills for that play. But Fleck said he’s liking how Rush is settling in to his defensive role now, which was hard last year for Rush to learn the instincts, techniques and tackling skills that weren’t natural to him as mainly an offensive player growing up. Fleck said Rush was “tremendous” in the game and opened his eyes to some things. So this player might be looking at some heavier rotation at strongside linebacker and maybe even a breakout season.

http://www.startribune.com/what-the-gophers-learned-from-spring-ball-2019/508595292/

Go Gophers!!

Thanks Bleed for posting this. Nice update. Many personal opinions I know. We'll just have to let the summer play out.

And now we enter that long painful period where there will be little new information of any kind for a while.

And now we enter that long painful period where there will be little new information of any kind for a while.

Yep. And I'll be perfectly honest, as the countdown of days to the start of the season reaches 100 and the annual photo thread appears to match jersey numbers with the number of days left, it does little to settle me out as I impatiently wait for real stuff to start happening.

Don't fortget all the stupid "Ranking the B1G Stadiums" and "Ranking the B1G Uniforms" articles that will spawn threads here. They don't help me much either. And, prepare yourself for lots more national coverage predicting B1G records and division standings, where the Gophers will routinely be placed in the 10-12 slot overall with some 5th place in the West predictions. With each one, if you are like me it just makes the "Well, you just wait and see" reaction worse because of that important word: WAIT. More waiting, tick tock, wait, rinse, repeat.

I don’t know that I learned a whole lot as the coverage was sparse and all the bullet items were either known or are projections we optimistically hope are true.

I haven’t had a chance to watch the spring game yet - caught snippets on Sat - to me Dickson looks the part, SS still struggles at tackle, and Clemons looks the part. Given it’s a scrimmage of mixed parts we’ve learned it’s difficult to draw hard conclusions although sometimes athleticism or lack of it jumps out

Yep. And I'll be perfectly honest, as the countdown of days to the start of the season reaches 100 and the annual photo thread appears to match jersey numbers with the number of days left, it does little to settle me out as I impatiently wait for real stuff to start happening.

Don't fortget all the stupid "Ranking the B1G Stadiums" and "Ranking the B1G Uniforms" articles that will spawn threads here. They don't help me much either. And, prepare yourself for lots more national coverage predicting B1G records and division standings, where the Gophers will routinely be placed in the 10-12 slot overall with some 5th place in the West predictions. With each one, if you are like me it just makes the "Well, you just wait and see" reaction worse because of that important word: WAIT. More waiting, tick tock, wait, rinse, repeat.

If you truly want odd offseason content check out reddit's CFB forum.

If you truly want odd offseason content check out reddit's CFB forum.

Or just watch BTN for all your filler needs. Does anyone watch any of the one team networks like YES or Longhorn Network? WTF do they run in the offseason? I'm a Cub fan and they are getting their own network next season and I have no idea what they will fill airtime with.

Or just watch BTN for all your filler needs. Does anyone watch any of the one team networks like YES or Longhorn Network? WTF do they run in the offseason? I'm a Cub fan and they are getting their own network next season and I have no idea what they will fill airtime with.

One team networks like the Ohio State Channel, AKA BTN?

Harry Carey mispronunciations. [emoji16]

Top Bottom