Available scholarships

samloupete

True Gold
Reaction score
With the transfer o Delaynie Byrne the Gophs have 3 available scholarships. Will they be using any of them this spring?

Yes, they had a juco visit sometime in the last month and they are after a couple grad transfers. I'd be very surprised if they didnt add 1 or 2 more players.

Yes, they had a juco visit sometime in the last month and they are after a couple grad transfers. I'd be very surprised if they didnt add 1 or 2 more players.

Any idea who?

After watching teams in the NCAA tournament (men & women), it appears that a grad transfer can do a lot to improve a team. But we have to be expected to win to attract them, I would think.

Hopefully some good news on the recruiting front this weekend.

heres her highlights from this year, believe shes visiting this weekend or sometime this week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgD2o-Lb2Ls

Thanks! good looking player. Not a particularly good shooting percentage especially from 3 point range but many of her shots in the video she didn't seem set well and got the shot off quick under pressure. I suspect with some better shot selection and better system that she will improve if she is offered and decides to join the gophers.

Morehead St is the team that upset Ohio St in the first round of the WNIT.
5-CECFB24-EF26-41-B0-9110-6-E98-E7-FE5401.jpg

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Morehead St is the team that upset Ohio St in the first round of the WNIT.
5-CECFB24-EF26-41-B0-9110-6-E98-E7-FE5401.jpg

Aliyah Jeune is a redshirt junior at Morehead State in Kentucky. We’ve seen her before https://msueagles.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4964 since we played against her when she was a fresh/soph at Rutgers. The redshirt was for her NCAA transfer sitout year, so if she’s in the grad transfer pool, she obviously is finishing up her senior academic year and decided to test the waters elsewhere next year as a grad instead of sticking around for her redshirt senior year. For CVS as a frosh she scored an avg 1.7 points, and as a soph in 30 games (22 starts) she averaged 8.2 points and top scorer 5 times. Mysterious why the transfer to MSU Eagles - unless she had enough CVS for one career. Maybe she would like Whay’s coaching style better.

She’s a tall guard at 6’1”. Hard to tell from highlight video, but she looks fairly fast - almost like a not-quite-Keke-fast guard who can shoot the three. She mostly came off the bench this year to average 16.0 points and 6.1 rebounds in 27.5 minutes. She also averaged 1.4 steals (Bell had 2 per game) and 2.7 assists per game. She’s a bit turnover-prone at 3.2 turnovers per 27.5 min. She shot .429 from two and .318 from three. That puts her tied for 167th place among NCAA Div I three-point percentage leaders (note discrepancy between team and NCAA stats so took more favorable team stats). For comparison, Destiny Pitts was 124th place with .352 (just beat by the highly touted shooters Chennedy Carter and UConn’s Crystal Dangerfield), and Irene Garrido Perez was 25th place with .409 (ranked right up there with Marina Mabrey, Satou Sabally and Taylor Mikesell). So by the season stats she’s not quite up to the Perez/Pitts standard from deep. Her .318 from deep puts her very near Mercedes Staples (.321) and better than Bell (.271) and Brunson (.245).

However, she seems to be a bit of a late-blooming shooter this year, and the almost-hero of their two WNIT games. Her trey attempt at the buzzer (that bounced off the rim) nearly extended their season at least an extra 5 minutes. She was high scorer in both games with 21 points in the loss and 20 points in the Ohio State upset. The latter was in 22 minutes off the bench, and she also nabbed 9 rebounds and shot 6-11 from 3. So she is capable of Pitts/Perez-like accuracy from deep on occasion and is not shy about shooting.

Last edited:

Aliyah Jeune was one of five players transferring from Rutgers following her sophomore season (one of whom was her sister). It was a particularly bad season for the Scarlet Knights with a number of starters (including Scaife) on the bench with season ending injuries or medical issues. Plus there seemed to be more than a few moments like the video: make a triple-get criticized by Tim Eatman:

Has Lindsay surreptitiously recruited herself a hidden gem in Maryia Adashchyk? Looks to be an outstanding shooter (scored 50 in a JC tournament game).

She has a 48% from the field and 38% from 3 stats but who knows how that will transfer to more difficult competition. I hope she turns into a hidden gem.

Top Bottom