PJ Fleck Interview new - Sunday 4-14-19

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
PJ Fleck was not on live on the Sports Huddle. Dave Mona said Fleck was on a flight and unavailable.

They ran a taped interview with Sid and Fleck that was taped before the Spring game. The taped interviews tend to be real rapid-fire. lot of short questions and answers.

Sid: some people have picked you to be in the top 25. how do you feel about that?
PJ: we've been informed of that. try to educate players on how to handle that - handle the expectations and pressure. work to get better every day. teach them how to handle pressure in football, and handle it in real life.

Sid: has anything surprised you in spring practice?
PJ: Not surprised, but I'm excited about the growth of the team. the coaches have done a great job developing the players. we've picked up from where we were after bowl practice.

Sid: have you accomplished everything you wanted to do during the Spring?
PJ: yes we have. definitely

Sid: have you seen some individuals do better this Spring?
PJ: I think everyone is improving at some level. some are improving faster than others. we need to get some guys healthy. we've got a long way to go. trying to be honest with them. we're making strides

Sid: how good can this team be?
PJ: we will be as good as we can be. try to change our best on a daily basis. set our vision and our goal for the year. take it day by day

Sid: you ended last year strong. Can you start this year strong?
PJ: want to find a way to start fast, accelerate in the middle, and finish strong. be able to do that at practices, during games, and during seasons. do that all the time.

Sid: is Winfield healthy? how has he looked?
PJ: he has to be able to get the mindset that he's healthy. when you have injuries and miss time, you can start to doubt yourself. he's getting to the point where he can trust his health. it's good for him to get back on the field. he's earned the right to think that way.

Sid: do you have defense replacements for the guys who graduated?
PJ: we always want competition at every position. that will sort itself out this fall. during the Spring, you can get in position to win jobs

Sid: what about the competition at RB?
PJ: Glen Mason always says you need a pair and a spare. I'd like to have a pair and a spare, and another spare in the trunk. last year we could have used that. Mo had a great year with over 1,000 yds. Bryce Williams has gotten better. other guys are competing. some of them haven't even been here yet. Cam Wiley. Preston Jelen is having a nice spring. Trey Potts is getting healthy. we haven't seen what he can do

Sid: are you happy with the new players?
PJ: happy with everybody. satisfied with the type of class we brought in. the players are hungry. they want to work hard. 14 guys added to team. I think there are a lot of names people haven't heard yet, or maybe they've just played on special teams, that will make a difference.

Sid: Is the offensive line better?
PJ: with the OL, it's amazing where we've grown. started with 4 healthy OL. now we're fairly deep, but not really deep. we have 8 or 9 guys we're comfortable with. need to form the starting 5, with a swing guy being the 6th guy. got to continue to build. get older within system.

Sid: Williamson hurt. any other injuries
PJ: bumps and bruises. some guys are still healing from the fall. Jason's injury was unfortunate, but he'll work hard to get back.

Sid: who will replace Carpenter?
PJ: two of the guys in the competition aren't here yet. they'll be here in June. Brock (Walker) has done a good job. needs to be more consistent. great to see the strides he's made from the Winter to now. shown tremendous growth.

Sid: Defensively. I'm writing about your defensive coordinator. Talk about Rossi. what he's done.
PJ: Joe did a nice job in a tough situation. defense showed a lot of improvement. improved on fundamentals, attention to detail. the players played hard for Rossi. defense has had a strong spring.

Sid: can the defense carry on from the way they played against Purdue, WI, the bowl?
PJ: each season, each game is its own entity. we hope to have an identity on defense

Sid: what are your Weaknesses?
PJ: we have a lot of them. doing everything we can to develop.

Sid: what about the Schedule
PJ: the big 10 is always strong. our non-conf opponents, a lot of them have been champions before. very talented. we need to get better every day. we're evaluating, going through schedule, doing mock game plans already for opponents.

(interview cut off at that point as Sid was saying something. apparently one of his grandsons was having a birthday party or something.......no Murray's)

Thanks SON.
Seems pre-recorded May be the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Son! Recorded or not. Nice to hear his thoughts. Assuming you'll get next Sunday off as Fleck took Easter off last year. Enjoy the family and have fun!

I like how he's applauding the teams effort but we aren't close enough to looking like B1G West champs. I think our QB play also isn't good enough to win the B1G west. We have the receivers though. O Line will be a strength. Will see about the defense. Didn't hear much about the DT's in the highlights or game thread.

Thanks, shorty. great job again. I do believe we can be B1G West champions. Not a stretch. We haven't heard much abut the run game, which we know ill be a strength, outside of Faalele.

Thank you SON.

I believe this team should win the BIG west. Whether it does or not depends on preparation, injuries, and breaks.

I think we have a shot to contend for the Big Ten.

Top Bottom