STrib: Gophers' quarterback battle will last into training camp

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

Despite a chance to evaluate the quarterbacks head-to-head in the spring game, Gophers coach P.J. Fleck isn’t any closer to naming his starter for 2019.

While sophomore Zack Annexstad’s Maroon team beat redshirt sophomore Tanner Morgan’s Gold team 38-20 on Saturday at Athletes Village, neither, apparently, did enough to distinguish himself.

“We’re going to need both guys at some point, and I think they’re both getting better at an equal level,” Fleck said. “So you’re not seeing that one guy just jump out and say, ‘That’s the guy.’ ”

That eureka moment will wait at least until August’s training camp, which is maybe good news for Annexstad, who won last year’s battle. The 6-3, 215 pound native of Norseland, Minn., began last season as the starter. But because of an injury halfway through, 6-2, 210-pound Morgan finished out the year, and led the Gophers to a historic win against Wisconsin and a bowl game victory.

In Saturday’s spring game, Annexstad had the slight edge. He went 9-for-15 for 191 yards and one touchdown, his longest completion 47 yards. Morgan was 11-for-17 with 139 yards and two touchdowns, his farthest toss 36 yards.

Annexstad endured two sacks and an interception. Morgan took three sacks and an interception, though his was a pick-six.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-quarterback-battle-will-last-into-training-camp/508552082/

Go Gophers!!

Yep. Seems accurate. But I can't believe Morgan doesn't at least have the inside lane in this race.

JTG

No doubt. ZA will need clear separation this year to be #1 for opener. He definitely moved the team down the field better yesterday. As Fleck noted, the competition is helping both get better. Got to think that the playbook will be fully open for this season with either at #1.

Beating a dead horse but until TM plays his way out of the starting position, eg throwing a bad pick six like yesterday, he has to be the starter. In my mind it doesn’t really matter what happens in practice. How do you justify sitting TM after what happened last season?

PJ stubbornly stuck with ZA for several games despite pretty significant injury that hurt his ability to be effective and increased the likelihood of further injury which is something I’ve rarely seen in college football, only pulling after he literally had to be sent to the hospital. He must really like (or dislike) ZA for reasons that aren’t totally apparent on game days. They are both pretty aggressive/careless with the ball at times, for example. TM has an edge as a runner, ZA May have just the slightest bit stronger arm but if the deep ball isn’t accurate it doesn’t really matter. I’m sure the coaches are looking at other factors like timing, leadership, mechanics, off field behavior.

Health and team chemistry/intangibles will decide the starter. Either one will be a winner and yes, we will need both. At least both. It is long tough season and we are in a strong position with these young QBs.

Beating a dead horse but until TM plays his way out of the starting position, eg throwing a bad pick six like yesterday, he has to be the starter. In my mind it doesn’t really matter what happens in practice. How do you justify sitting TM after what happened last season?

PJ stubbornly stuck with ZA for several games despite pretty significant injury that hurt his ability to be effective and increased the likelihood of further injury which is something I’ve rarely seen in college football, only pulling after he literally had to be sent to the hospital. He must really like (or dislike) ZA for reasons that aren’t totally apparent on game days. They are both pretty aggressive/careless with the ball at times, for example. TM has an edge as a runner, ZA May have just the slightest bit stronger arm but if the deep ball isn’t accurate it doesn’t really matter. I’m sure the coaches are looking at other factors like timing, leadership, mechanics, off field behavior.

Not disagreeing it is his to lose, but he averaged under 150 yards passing in the last four games including bowl, with 4 TDs and 3 INT. Take out the NW game and he was really just a game manager in the wins...averaged 131 yards passing, with 2 TD, 1 INT.

Definitely uphill for ZA.

In the end, it does not matter who gets to start. One QB goes down, next man up.

This team is playing cohesive team football now and their body languages show they are having a blast. Players are fully buying into the culture.

Is Faalele's mom staying in town while he is playing for the U? The glimpse of that lady looked like his mom on the sideline.

We've have a lot to be excited about Jacob Clark and Kramer. A red shirt year is a luxury the Gophers did not have in the Kill Era for QBs. They had a hard time recruiting the position.

Last edited:

When you have great WRs QBs are easier to recruit.

Which ever QB can starting throwing into their front foot instead of hanging back on every throw will have my vote. They both kind of drive me crazy!

Not disagreeing it is his to lose, but he averaged under 150 yards passing in the last four games including bowl, with 4 TDs and 3 INT. Take out the NW game and he was really just a game manager in the wins...averaged 131 yards passing, with 2 TD, 1 INT.

Definitely uphill for ZA.

Not disagreeing with the stat but why would we pass more when we are crushing them on the ground and moving the chains?

I don’t think anybody is going to argue that he has a cannon arm but personally I was impressed with his decisiveness, most of the decision-making, and his accuracy down the middle of the field. He has the ability to lengthen plays and run for the tough first downs when called for. That is crucial for this offense.

I agree it would be nice to push the ball downfield more with Bateman and CAB and we did see that at times. Persoanally I haven’t seen anything to make me think ZA is significantly better at this than TM but I’m certainly open to changing my opinion. I’m happy just moving the chains in ten yard increments and being a dominant run team and I think we will be.

Not disagreeing with the stat but why would we pass more when we are crushing them on the ground and moving the chains?

I don’t think anybody is going to argue that he has a cannon arm but personally I was impressed with his decisiveness, most of the decision-making, and his accuracy down the middle of the field. He has the ability to lengthen plays and run for the tough first downs when called for. That is crucial for this offense.

I agree it would be nice to push the ball downfield more with Bateman and CAB and we did see that at times. Persoanally I haven’t seen anything to make me think ZA is significantly better at this than TM but I’m certainly open to changing my opinion. I’m happy just moving the chains in ten yard increments and being a dominant run team and I think we will be.

We are in agreement. I'm not saying Gophs need to go down field either. Fleck's RPO is heavy on those short and intermediate timing throws with YAC potential. Should be exciting to see the whole offensive playbook used in 2019.

I was just pointing out that Morgan was not the difference maker some have hinted at...the defense and run game/OL performances had much, much more to do with the season end resurgence than anything he did.

One factor from last year: IMO Morgan had much better pocket awareness. He seemed to sense rushers much better than ZA and also was able to scramble better and make plays. I realize ZA was hampered by injury, but the difference in pocket awareness was pretty stark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are in agreement. I'm not saying Gophs need to go down field either. Fleck's RPO is heavy on those short and intermediate timing throws with YAC potential. Should be exciting to see the whole offensive playbook used in 2019.

I was just pointing out that Morgan was not the difference maker some have hinted at...the defense and run game/OL performances had much, much more to do with the season end resurgence than anything he did.
I would say Morgan was part of it, just not as much as the online. Wasn't his big ten game qb rating top 5 in the conference?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

PJ's rule is that there's always a competition, nobody has their spot just because, if someone steps up they get the spot.

How much competition is there really from any given time, I suspect PJ's POV is that is dependent on the players, not him.

I still question Morgan's arm strength a little. Every time he throws a wide receiver screen my heart is in my throat as pass seems to take forever and play tends to get blown up.

I still question Morgan's arm strength a little. Every time he throws a wide receiver screen my heart is in my throat as pass seems to take forever and play tends to get blown up.

He's thrown some passes where I worried the WR was going to get killed but by some miracle it didn't happen.

Don't know if it is a thing so much but worry a bit.

Tanner's ability to move around, create time, and even take off it why I slightly favor Tanner. Annexstad seemed like a sitting duck back there and couldn't move.

On the other hand, maybe our o-line is so good, that the better pure passer should be used.

Tanner's ability to move around, create time, and even take off it why I slightly favor Tanner. Annexstad seemed like a sitting duck back there and couldn't move.

On the other hand, maybe our o-line is so good, that the better pure passer should be used.

Annexstad had probably the best play from the creating time perspective...that sideline throw to TJ. Agree he was pretty immobile after his injury. O-line got much better, which in turn made the run game better. I think the offense should be able to average 400+ yards/game in 2019...with the increased yardage most likely coming from the pass. Something like 175 run, 225 pass. QB will need to cut down on T/Os and have a few more TDs as well.

I think arm strength is overrated in college QBs. But... we fans love make a big deal out of it.

The ability to find a way to win games is a college QB's most important attribute. In the impressive run the Gophers made at the end of last season, with dominating wins against some pretty decent opponents, the QB did what was necessary to win — no more and no less. Arm strength really didn't figure into the equation in any of those big wins.

He's thrown some passes where I worried the WR was going to get killed but by some miracle it didn't happen.

Don't know if it is a thing so much but worry a bit.

Hometown favorite Rhoda specialized in putting the ball high on the slant/crossers and getting some guys demolished. Neither one of these guys on the roster now has near the penchant for doing that IMO. Both have pretty good accuracy in the middle from what I’ve seen.

Hometown favorite Rhoda specialized in putting the ball high on the slant/crossers and getting some guys demolished. Neither one of these guys on the roster now has near the penchant for doing that IMO. Both have pretty good accuracy in the middle from what I’ve seen.

I agree with this. I think they do very well on slants and curls. It's just the wide receiver screens. Maybe it's how they are designed or the timing is off but it is not generally executed well by us. I blamed TM's arm strength, maybe it's one of those other reasons.

Engaging the big TEs will help.

I agree with this. I think they do very well on slants and curls. It's just the wide receiver screens. Maybe it's how they are designed or the timing is off but it is not generally executed well by us. I blamed TM's arm strength, maybe it's one of those other reasons.

IIRC the blocking was spotty at best for awhile, has more to do with it IMHO.

Kind of a bummer there always has to be a competition of some kind. Would love to have that clear-cut #1 QB.

Top Bottom