Beavcoon in the Room to Cure Your Season Ticket Blues

Beavcoon1

Reaction score
Beavcoon and brother Sloth went in to renew our season tickets
and the process was like going through a deciduous thicket.
No associate donorship to be had
left Beavcoon and brother Sloth feeling not so rad.
Aggravations and exasperations are still rife in this department of athletics
that do not cater to the loyal patron and leaves this place with unseemly aesthetics.

This left Beavcoon thinkin...
Left and right brain started linkin'...

Mariucci...Empty
Williams...Empty
TCF...Empty
Secondary sports...Empty
Mark Coyle's creativity...Empty

What this university needs is a fresh idea
An attendance disease panacea.
The vision is clear
for all to adhere:

Each and every loyal ticket holder will receive ticket vouchers
To any other gopher sport they want to encounter.

Mariucci...Full
Williams...Full
TCF...Full
Secondary sports...Full
Mark Coyle's pocket...Full

Exposure to these once mighty programs will again thrive
creating new revenue into overdrive.

Beavcoon in the room with Milton Friedman and Gwen Stefani

I could be on board with this. I imagine it would work something like you just have to show up at will call and grab a ticket. Could be a nice bandaid fix until things get packed again.

Beavcon - you nailed it. I am afraid that new generations of fans will be lost forever. People are losing interest in Gophersports. Instead, they are doing every thing they can (by not doing anything creative) to lose fan interest

There is lots of competition for fan dollars in this market and I am not talking about just sports entertainment venues. The Twin Cities make this region a vibrant market with lots of options for entertainment.

I am not knocking Coyle down because he is a good administrative hire. I am knocking him down because he needs to market Gopher Sports in ways it has never been done before. We can't be like Nebraska because the Cornhuskers Football is virtually the only show in the whole State. I envy them when they can fill up a 90K stadium full of fans to watch a Spring Game.

"Build it, and they'll come". But, that is only a field of dreams if you don't promote the Gopher Athletics Program aggressively. The U desperately needs marketing and promotion. The first order of business - get rid of the scholarship donations for season ticket holders.

Make it easy for a family of four with kids to come to the stadium. The costs and the hassle to get there right now does make it a worthwhile family entertainment option. The Twins for instance used to have those Family packages with free hotdogs and soda with the price of admission. They need to be in the public psyche through promotions and marketing.

The quandary of course is the Gophers have to start winning. Hopefully, Gopher Football will start the new trend of winning. Drawing fan interest will be much easier.

Last edited:

One thing that ticks me off is the $30 processing fee. Already being hit up for $600 mandatory scholarship seating and they can't let the $30 slide?

That $30 more than offsets any benefit I get from the Loyalty program.

What about single game ticket sales. I would like to take a group of friends to the Gopher v Wisconsin game at TCF this year.
Is this a hard thing to pull off and what are the tailgating rules?

What about single game ticket sales. I would like to take a group of friends to the Gopher v Wisconsin game at TCF this year.

You won't have a problem buying them from either the Gophers directly or stubhub. Not sure about tailgating near the stadium for a single game though, but there's always the river flats parking lot where anyone can tailgate.

I would like to take a group of friends to the Gopher v Wisconsin game at TCF this year.

Tailgating rules are posted on the U's website and, in my experience, rather loosely enforced unless you are trying to build a bonfire or have kegs of beer sitting out in the open. University owned lots are specifically designated as tailgating or non-tailgating and the lots allowing people to tailgate are mostly sold to season ticket-holders. You can look on Stub Hub or similar sites for spots in those lots, but the prices for a wisconsin game will likely be $100+. The Fairgrounds and River Flats are options that allow tailgating and are available and open to the public on game days. There are a couple of privately owned lots around the U that seem to allow tailgating, but I don't know the specifics of those. The City in general doesn't approve of tailgating in lots near campus and it is my understanding that they do do try to enforce restrictions in those lots, so you'd want to know the limits on the lots you look at prior to planning a tailgate.

One thing that ticks me off is the $30 processing fee. Already being hit up for $600 mandatory scholarship seating and they can't let the $30 slide?

That $30 more than offsets any benefit I get from the Loyalty program.

I know! WTF processing fee?! I'm doing all the f'ing processing on my laptop. They don't have to do a damn thing. It's not like I'm talking to a person on the phone who they have to pay to take all of my information.

I know! WTF processing fee?! <b>I'm doing all the f'ing processing on my laptop. </b>They don't have to do a damn thing. It's not like I'm talking to a person on the phone who they have to pay to take all of my information.

Made me laugh out loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Beav's idea. A friend of mine is a season ticket holder with the Loon's and apparently they threw a free ticket into his season ticket package for an upcoming friendly. He says customer service is great and feels fully engaged by the organization. What would it take for the gophers to get to the point of a season ticket waiting list???

I know! WTF processing fee?! I'm doing all the f'ing processing on my laptop. They don't have to do a damn thing. It's not like I'm talking to a person on the phone who they have to pay to take all of my information.

You actually made me feel worse by pointing out that I did all the work entering it on computer. Took extra long due changing credit card stuff as a result of new expiration date.

I am afraid that new generations of fans will be lost forever. People are losing interest in Gophersports. Instead, they are doing every thing they can (by not doing anything creative) to lose fan interest

This, this, and more of this.

The lack of strategic thinking is going to be the real killer.

So far we hear about how while there are fewer butts in the seats, revenue is more than made up by the donations spent by corporate purchasers, etc.. We also hear about the huge dollar TV contract.

Those are both undoubtedly true.

But if entire generations grow up simply not giving a crap about Gopher sports (or spectator sports in general, as this is a nationwide trend) both of those revenue streams WILL eventually decline.

You people are not suggesting creativity are you? Why do anything different? The revenue is paying the bills for now. I would wait until real financial trouble hits....and it will. The Beav has a very workable idea. Successful businesses get the people in the door even if it means breaking even or taking a loss. When your sucking wind, try something different.

I'd like to go to some hockey games .... but hell if in the past few years if they were at reliable / sensible times ... and I don't know when / where they're on TV so it is hard to get excited about it.

That's not really about the price of the ticket so much, but free might get me there, or an ultra discount.

Maybe the U needs to run some week of the game "Gopher Deals!" kinda promotions?

I posted in another thread the idea (and sent an email to the Gopher AD’s office) that purchasers of Gopher season tickets should get a discount (let’s say 20% off) season tickets for another Gopher sport. That might me enough for me to purchase them for Gopher b-ball.

It's them covering their CC fees. But it's still low brow and unnecessary.

It's them covering their CC fees. But it's still low brow and unnecessary.

One would think the $600 mandatory "donation" would somehow cover the CC fees! Sadly decided to listen to my wife and drop our season tickets this year after 10+ years due to the $600 donation we were paying. Planning on the three-pack assuming they have them it again this year.

Beavcon - you nailed it. I am afraid that new generations of fans will be lost forever. People are losing interest in Gophersports. Instead, they are doing every thing they can (by not doing anything creative) to lose fan interest

There is lots of competition for fan dollars in this market and I am not talking about just sports entertainment venues. The Twin Cities make this region a vibrant market with lots of options for entertainment.

I am not knocking Coyle down because he is a good administrative hire. I am knocking him down because he needs to market Gopher Sports in ways it has never been done before. We can't be like Nebraska because the Cornhuskers Football is virtually the only show in the whole State. I envy them when they can fill up a 90K stadium full of fans to watch a Spring Game.

"Build it, and they'll come". But, that is only a field of dreams if you don't promote the Gopher Athletics Program aggressively. The U desperately needs marketing and promotion. The first order of business - get rid of the scholarship donations for season ticket holders.

Make it easy for a family of four with kids to come to the stadium. The costs and the hassle to get there right now does make it a worthwhile family entertainment option. The Twins for instance used to have those Family packages with free hotdogs and soda with the price of admission. They need to be in the public psyche through promotions and marketing.

The quandary of course is the Gophers have to start winning. Hopefully, Gopher Football will start the new trend of winning. Drawing fan interest will be much easier.

I have said this over and over!! We look around and see grey haired fans all over. But really take a look do u see any families around young couple with kids?? Your next generation of supporters of U athletics. If you don’t bring a tradition with your kids at younger ages they typically don’t all of a sudden become fans when there in there 30’s,40’s. Someone needs to find a way to get these people in the door at a reasonable rate.

I have said this over and over!! We look around and see grey haired fans all over. But really take a look do u see any families around young couple with kids?? Your next generation of supporters of U athletics. If you don’t bring a tradition with your kids at younger ages they typically don’t all of a sudden become fans when there in there 30’s,40’s. Someone needs to find a way to get these people in the door at a reasonable rate.

And the #1 way to accomplish this if not all parents make it a tradition is with students. Make it a tradition when in school and they continue it when they are family heads. Get the damn students to the game. Give away tickets. Let them party in the lots. Whatever it takes. We all benefit from the atmosphere at the games and Gopher Sports gets longer term benefits as well.

The hamster that spins the wheel that powers the website needs to get paid too.

Tailgating rules are posted on the U's website and, in my experience, rather loosely enforced unless you are trying to build a bonfire or have kegs of beer sitting out in the open. University owned lots are specifically designated as tailgating or non-tailgating and the lots allowing people to tailgate are mostly sold to season ticket-holders. You can look on Stub Hub or similar sites for spots in those lots, but the prices for a wisconsin game will likely be $100+. The Fairgrounds and River Flats are options that allow tailgating and are available and open to the public on game days. There are a couple of privately owned lots around the U that seem to allow tailgating, but I don't know the specifics of those. The City in general doesn't approve of tailgating in lots near campus and it is my understanding that they do do try to enforce restrictions in those lots, so you'd want to know the limits on the lots you look at prior to planning a tailgate.

Just to clarify, you won't find anything about East River Flats on the U of M website. That's a City of Minneapolis park. And, if there are private lots offering tailgating, I believe they're doing so illegally. There were many private lots around the stadium offering tailgating during the first season, but the city shut them down after a few games.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. The tailgating situation is ... not ideal. But rather than find a way to encourage it and help fans find what is available to enjoy themselves before the game, the U makes it more difficult because they don't want the competition.

And the #1 way to accomplish this if not all parents make it a tradition is with students. Make it a tradition when in school and they continue it when they are family heads. Get the damn students to the game. Give away tickets. Let them party in the lots. Whatever it takes. We all benefit from the atmosphere at the games and Gopher Sports gets longer term benefits as well.

Agree 100% Spoofy. :clap:

What is the cost for student tickets usually? Can't imagine the U makes much money on these sales. I agree, make them free.

Top Bottom