Spring Game

D line play that I saw...non-expert point of view. Coughlin still the best one out there, made a lot of plays for the time in there. Mafe looks legit. I think the hype could be real on him. Drew-Treadway looks like an OJ Smith clone, hopefully he can play as well. Has the size for sure. I thought Richter has the potential to be something...he's a massive man but with it distributed well, and he looked pretty athletic for how big he was. I can see how at camp he did well. 90 Renner and 91 Hickox both played a lot and looked decent. Nice inside rush a few times from Renner. From a guy that is not that heavy playing inside he sure gets a good push. He's going to make some plays this year I bet. 94 Okonji and 92 Ahanotu seemed to make a few plays but were clearly behind Coughlin and Mafe. I think 9 Otomewo looked a lot better out there this spring and seemed to be grasping things more. Physically he's an ideal D-end but he just doesn't make the plays yet like the others (CC and Mafe). Only a redshirt soph so a lot of growth yet. Saw 19 Schad a lot and he seemed to be plugging the middle up like 52 Teague but neither made a lot of plays that I saw. Was hoping to see Reiglelsberger do something but I'm not sure I even saw him play...maybe I missed him? Anyone see him? I know he had a very impressive offer list. Same with the DT Robinson, and he has very good size. Don't think I saw him either. Injuries? I did notice 57 Kern in there a fair amount. I think he's a walk on? He did pretty well I thought and plugged things up and assisted on some tackles.

Hope someone else can chime in with thoughts. Anyone else get the big time gap in the BTN replay? I mean it was like 7-8 minutes of the 3rd quarter were gone. One minute they were interviewing Fleck and the next thing it's like 7-8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Same thing with the 4th...even missed a couple of scores.

Hope someone else can chime in with thoughts. Anyone else get the big time gap in the BTN replay? I mean it was like 7-8 minutes of the 3rd quarter were gone. One minute they were interviewing Fleck and the next thing it's like 7-8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Same thing with the 4th...even missed a couple of scores.

"Due to time constraints, we move further ahead in the action."

In other words, Nebraska gets to run 20 minutes past their allotted time period, and run feature stories on Adrian Martinez, but when it comes to the Gophers, suddenly BTN is all concerned about fitting the game into the time slot, so they just cut out a couple of sections of the game.

Agreed. Frankly, I've been baffled by the view regarding Ibrahim as a fill-in until Smith and Brooks return. I don't know how anyone could feel that way after the season he had last year. He's a more consistent gainer than Rodney and, at least so far, he has been more durable (and possibly less fumble prone) than Brooks.

Agreed! Time to put the old horses out to pasture and let the young guns have at it.

One of the most noticeable things is the work these guys have put in the weight room. Bryce Williams, Chris Autman-Bell, Esezi Otomewo, Curtis Dunlap, and all of the TEs are the ones that jumped out at me.

Last edited:

"Due to time constraints, we move further ahead in the action."

In other words, Nebraska gets to run 20 minutes past their allotted time period, and run feature stories on Adrian Martinez, but when it comes to the Gophers, suddenly BTN is all concerned about fitting the game into the time slot, so they just cut out a couple of sections of the game.

Yes. Exactly.

And this is yet another of many, many reasons why Minnesota needs to set high goals and get this program back on the map.

Beating Wisconsin last season was Step One. A B1G West title is the next step.

Golden Gopher football can and should return to relevance, and even to greatness.

One of the most noticeable things is the work these guys have put in the weight room. Bryce Williams, Chris Autman-Bell, Esezi Otomewo, Carlos Dunlap, and all of the TEs are the ones that jumped out at me.

Is that what we call him now? :confused:

Actually Carlos Dunlap has a nice ring to it. I'm sticking with it.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Sounds too much like Carlos Danger. We don't need wiener pics associated with the program!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Weird...he motored Schlueter...who couldn't block the smallest guy on NMSU's roster.

I was thinking about this, but it would be a much different breed of wildcat. #16 is quick, with good acceleration, Seth Green is big and strong. The D knows it's coming, and he gets his yards anyway. Guaranteed first down is what Seth Green gets you, #16 wouldn't fill that niche, but he's impressive nonetheless.

They will have no idea what's coming. I predict at least 20 pass attempts from Green out of the wildcat. Also Faalele will line up 6-10 times along side him. What's coming?

Weird...he motored Schlueter...who couldn't block the smallest guy on NMSU's roster.

That was a missed assignment for Schlueter there. Took a step to the left, then realized he was supposed to down block to the right and it was too late.

I’m afraid Schlueter is going to be a backup here, if he doesn’t transfer.

I saw Terrell Smith got a carry early on. I wonder if they'll use him during the year on offense to take advantage of his speed.

I saw Terrell Smith got a carry early on. I wonder if they'll use him during the year on offense to take advantage of his speed.

Keep in mind, each of these spring teams was a hodgepodge of first and second stringers, due to the draft structure.

We have a lot of explosive players on offense to get touches to as well, so seems unlikely to me... I’d imagine Rodney, if 100%, will spend a bit of time in that jet sweep/slot role.

Did the broadcast on BTN miss some plays? I saw this on twitter but not on the replay.
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That was a missed assignment for Schlueter there. Took a step to the left, then realized he was supposed to down block to the right and it was too late.

I’m afraid Schlueter is going to be a backup here, if he doesn’t transfer.

He didn't miss his assignment. He stepped left because his assignment was the DE (CC) who was lined up outside of him. CC took first step up field then went hard inside and Sam didn't have good technique, quickness nor strength to meet CC and drive him down inside or wall him off from the RB.

He may not start, buy will be a vital back-up at both tackle spots this coming fall. Dickson needs to win the LT spot or maybe flip Big Dan to the left side.

Last edited:

He didn't miss his assignment. He stepped left because his assignment was the DE (CC) who was lined up outside of him. CC took first step up field then went hard inside and Sam didn't have good technique, quickness nor strength to meet CC and drive him down inside or wall him off from the RB.

He may not start, buy will be a vital back-up at both tackle spots this coming fall. Dickson needs to win the LT spot or maybe flip Big Dan to the left side.

Credit to CC of course. That is true.

But the part you missed was he edge rusher who looped around CC, who was crashing down inside. Maybe the play was scripted to screw over the offense there, don’t know. But it looked to me that he should’ve down blocked like the rest of his OL.

EDIT: on watching again I might have to admit I was wrong here. It was a late blitzing DB off he edge, not a looper. Can’t tell if Schlueter saw him and was distracted, or not. It also looks like he may have thought he had his guard’s help, which would be an MA. Regardless, bad steps, and waist bending. Pretty easily beaten by CC.

We have Dickson and we have the true freshman Guedet. And if Dunlap doesn’t start, he can backup tackle too. Schlueter was exposed too many times last season. I just don’t think he is going to be a starter going forward. My worthless opinion only.

Last edited:

Did the broadcast on BTN miss some plays? I saw this on twitter but not on the replay.

That play was part of the live stream.

Yes he did, very quick out of the backfield. I wonder if he will have a Seth Green (wildcat) type role next year when Seth is gone.

I had good fortune to be at the game in person- I think the fact that he was wearing a gray jersey makes it hard to truly know the impact of those plays they were running.

Clark's touch near the endzone was not really that bad, more timing than touch. I want him to win the job, he looked the part better than the others. ZA job to lose at this point.

As fleck said afterward, the QB situation is decent. I think that is a fair characterization of what we saw.

I had good fortune to be at the game in person- I think the fact that he was wearing a gray jersey makes it hard to truly know the impact of those plays they were running.

Clark's touch near the endzone was not really that bad, more timing than touch. I want him to win the job, he looked the part better than the others. ZA job to lose at this point.

As fleck said afterward, the QB situation is decent. I think that is a fair characterization of what we saw.

You seriously think it's Zach's job to lose?

Face the Facts - time for a poll!

He had no touch on those passes. Clark has a nice down field throw but he is well behind TM and ZA at this point. I expect both TM and ZA to continue to push each other and be noticeably better in the Fall.

It was obvious that a number of people were in attendance. Recruits, family members, big donors and WHO else was allowed to participate as a spectator?

It was obvious that a number of people were in attendance. Recruits, family members, big donors and WHO else was allowed to participate as a spectator?

There were several hundred in attendance- lots of media folks, lots of athletic department people. Families of the players were probably the largest contingent. Many recruits were walking around. Saw a few former players walking around.

My group was sorta mixed in with big $ boosters (though I promise you we are, sadly, not big $ boosters)

TM did not look nearly as good as ZA. On apperance alone, I loved what I saw with Clark.

They missed about 1/3 of the start of second half, and then a good chunk of end of 3rd/start of 4th quarter. Very frustrating.

Was gone all weekend. Finally catching up on some of this.

Fun to see the highlights but I think you can glean very little in a spring game

Fleck specifically mentioned during an interview that T. Smith would get some run on O in that spot.

Quick things:

>Announcers were fine...I actually liked the former OSU QB. Thought he had some real insight and said Gophers will compete for the West. Therefore NOT a dink.

>That said, announcers continue to not understand RPO. They keep calling a "play action slant."

>Man there's a bunch of talent on this team. Watching a guy like Rush make a play like that and then hearing PJ in an interview a minute later say "he'll be a key for us in a backup LB role." Then thinking about the wealth of talent at RB and WR -- team wouldn't miss a beat if they lost one or two guys. Then watching a real QB competition between competent B1G players.

>Worried about depth on DL and DB's. Starters look like legit players across the board. Depth still very worrying. It'll take another year or two of recruiting to shore up those positions. Fleck and co obviously targeted OL and WR in early classes...and did very well.

Top Bottom