Incorporating Scents into Gopher Football Facilities

MennoSota

Reaction score
Before the Gophers football team boarded coach buses for their road trip for a game in Madison, Wis., last fall, each player received a small travel canister of Axe Body Spray.

The Gophers were headed to play Wisconsin in battle for Paul Bunyan’s Axe on Nov. 24 — a rivalry game Minnesota hadn’t won since 2003 and not away from home since 1994.

Along with the fragrance, coach P.J. Fleck delivered this message in a team meeting: “If you don’t want to win the Axe, don’t get on the bus. Here’s what we are going to do. … We are going to create such an atmosphere in that locker room after we win that you will never, ever forget the smell.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tw...has-incorporated-scents-into-its-program/amp/

Best thing I’ve ever seen. Well done and likely Pulitzer for Greder.

“Jacked up, Gophers players turned the locker room into an overwhelming cloud that was supposed to resemble the sweet notes of lavender, geranium and citrus fruits. But the chemical spray was entering their noses, going into players’ lungs and seeping into their eyes.

“Guys were going crazy, spraying it everywhere,” Carpenter said. “It almost turned into a hazard.”

“Everybody’s coughing,” Fleck added. “I’m trying to talk, and I can’t get any words out.”

Everybody survived, and it wasn’t necessarily a backfire.

“I’m sure one day I will be walking around and there will be a teenager covered in Axe Body Spray walking past me,” Carpenter said. “It will definitely take me back to celebrating with all my brothers in the Wisconsin locker room.””

I'm impressed with the detail and science Fleck has incorporated into adding smells that reflect positive winning results. His attention to detail is noteworthy.

Do scents affect people's moods or work performance? - Scientific American

"Notably, prosocial behavior and productivity are also enhanced in the presence of pleasant ambient odors. For example, people exposed to the smells of baking cookies or roasting coffee were more inclined to help a stranger than people not exposed to an odor manipulation. People who worked in the presence of a pleasant smelling air freshener also reported higher self-efficacy, set higher goals and were more likely to employ efficient work strategies than participants who worked in a no-odor condition."

"Notably, prosocial behavior and productivity are also enhanced in the presence of pleasant ambient odors. For example, people exposed to the smells of baking cookies or roasting coffee were more inclined to help a stranger than people not exposed to an odor manipulation. People who worked in the presence of a pleasant smelling air freshener also reported higher self-efficacy, set higher goals and were more likely to employ efficient work strategies than participants who worked in a no-odor condition."

And let's be honest, football gear doesn't always smell the greatest....probably good to do a cover up job.

Pheromones certainly do wonders in nature. It probably does the same thing for an entire football team hungry for a victory.

Very creative. Never thought about this one.

I say we pump "skunk" into the visiting locker room when the Budgies are in town. Problem is, they'd probably like it and be inspired.

Damn. It seemed like a good idea.

looney1.jpg

Top Bottom