Wisconsin State Journal on Badgers inexperienced roster

swingman

Reaction score
veteran Madison writer Tom Oates calls it extreme makeover:

Gone in the offensive line are guards Michael Deiter and Beau Benzschawel and tackles David Edwards and Jon Dietzen. Deiter and Benzschawel were four-year starters, Edwards left one year early for the NFL draft and Dietzen opted to give up the sport due to injuries. As a group, that foursome combined for 163 starts at UW.

It is much the same on defense, where the veteran players who lined up down the middle of the field have graduated and, presumably, are headed for the NFL. Multiyear fixtures such as inside linebackers T.J. Edwards and Ryan Connelly, nose tackle Olive Sagapolu and safety D’Cota Dixon combined for 136 starts.

Throw in three-year starting quarterback Alex Hornibrook, who is transferring to Florida State, and four-year kicker Rafael Gaglianone and there is a serious shortage of familiar faces participating in spring ball. This is one instance where you truly can’t tell the players without a scorecard.

When you combine those personnel losses with the departures a year ago of stalwarts such as tight end Troy Fumagalli, defensive linemen Alex James, Chikwe Obasih and Conor Sheehy and defensive backs Derrick Tindal and Natrell Jamerson, you can see that UW’s two-year roster makeover has been extreme.

Here is another way of looking at it: After going for years with a veteran-laden lineup, Chryst has only two projected starters — junior tailback Jonathan Taylor and junior center Tyler Biadasz — who were full-time starters in both 2017 and 2018. Orr, senior guard Jason Erdmann and junior wide receivers Kendric Pryor, A.J. Taylor and Danny Davis are the only projected starters who played major roles in each of the past two seasons

For Minnesota, the 2019 season will be a huge opportunity to make a mark.

We have as easy a schedule as you are likely to see, and our Wisconsin rivals are retooling.

For Minnesota, the 2019 season will be a huge opportunity to make a mark.

We have as easy a schedule as you are likely to see, and our Wisconsin rivals are retooling.

An opportunity alright, but not to be taken lightly.

Wisconsin is on the down slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wisconsin is due for a big slide, as competent as Chryst may be. I would be pretty great to see an Iowa-Kirk like 6-6 season or even a couple of 5-7 seasons happen to watch what might happen over there, between the fan base and Barry A. melting down.

Wisconsin is due for a big slide, as competent as Chryst may be. I would be pretty great to see an Iowa-Kirk like 6-6 season or even a couple of 5-7 seasons happen to watch what might happen over there, between the fan base and Barry A. melting down.

I would be really curious to see how their attendance fares if they had 2 or 3 losings seasons in a row.

Wisconsin's pending demise has been discussed here nearly yearly over most of the course of their 15 game winning streak against the Gophers. Coaching changes, roster turnover, etc. I tend to be a glass-is-half-full kind of guy so as these arguments of pending doom for the Badgers were made, I started out believing them hook line and sinker. Then I got educated by the Badgers bouncing back year after year and finally developed an opinion of "just beat them and then reconsider their potential downfall." Well, it has now finally happened but I still don't think I can fully believe they are on the downswing. They have been recruiting well and their well oiled machine of developing linemen is still in place. Ironically, after all the predicitons of their downfall over the years, using understandable opinions of the signs of letdown in the Badger program, it was finally in a year that started with them being highly ranked and a supposed playoff contender where the Gophers not only broke through, but blew out the Badgers. Maybe we should just assume they are unbeatable every year instead of counting the reasons why they might not be good?

Wisconsin could be 0-11, it still wouldn't matter ... they'll give us all we can handle. Losing two years in a row to Minnesota would be torture. They'll sell out to try to prevent it.

Not saying I think we'll lose, just saying it's ridiculous to already count them out for this season.

Not sure I would agree they are on the down-slide. We have beaten them once and they were really depleted on defense with injuries.
Don't get me wrong, I was as excited as anyone to get over that hump last year but I am not counting Wisconsin out. They did have a
pretty good recruiting class for 2019 as well. I would prefer to just have us keep improving and getting better and ignore what they are doing.
If we keep winning they won't matter.

Wisconsin could be 0-11, it still wouldn't matter ... they'll give us all we can handle. Losing two years in a row to Minnesota would be torture. They'll sell out to try to prevent it.

Not saying I think we'll lose, just saying it's ridiculous to already count them out for this season.

No one did.

veteran Madison writer Tom Oates calls it extreme makeover:

Gone in the offensive line are guards Michael Deiter and Beau Benzschawel and tackles David Edwards and Jon Dietzen. Deiter and Benzschawel were four-year starters, Edwards left one year early for the NFL draft and Dietzen opted to give up the sport due to injuries. As a group, that foursome combined for 163 starts at UW.

It is much the same on defense, where the veteran players who lined up down the middle of the field have graduated and, presumably, are headed for the NFL. Multiyear fixtures such as inside linebackers T.J. Edwards and Ryan Connelly, nose tackle Olive Sagapolu and safety D’Cota Dixon combined for 136 starts.

Throw in three-year starting quarterback Alex Hornibrook, who is transferring to Florida State, and four-year kicker Rafael Gaglianone and there is a serious shortage of familiar faces participating in spring ball. This is one instance where you truly can’t tell the players without a scorecard.

When you combine those personnel losses with the departures a year ago of stalwarts such as tight end Troy Fumagalli, defensive linemen Alex James, Chikwe Obasih and Conor Sheehy and defensive backs Derrick Tindal and Natrell Jamerson, you can see that UW’s two-year roster makeover has been extreme.

Here is another way of looking at it: After going for years with a veteran-laden lineup, Chryst has only two projected starters — junior tailback Jonathan Taylor and junior center Tyler Biadasz — who were full-time starters in both 2017 and 2018. Orr, senior guard Jason Erdmann and junior wide receivers Kendric Pryor, A.J. Taylor and Danny Davis are the only projected starters who played major roles in each of the past two seasons

Badger fans sound pretty convinced that they'll be better at OL, better at QB, better at LB, and better on the DL this year. Good luck with that!

There have already been a bunch of prognostications and predictions articles written. There will be many more written from here to the start of the season, especially as all the preview publications come out in August. It will be fun to see if ANY of them pick the Gophers to finish ahead of the Badgers.

We play them at TCF. Hopefully the Gopher faithful actually use the tickets.

Not sure I would agree they are on the down-slide. We have beaten them once and they were really depleted on defense with injuries.
Don't get me wrong, I was as excited as anyone to get over that hump last year but I am not counting Wisconsin out. They did have a
pretty good recruiting class for 2019 as well. I would prefer to just have us keep improving and getting better and ignore what they are doing.
If we keep winning they won't matter.

Agree! Wisconsin is a good team, but our Gophers main focus should be internal. Continue to get better.

Wisconsin's incoming 2019 class includes a 5 star offensive tackle, a top 3 nationally rated QB, and another 4 star offensive tackle. The 2020 class already has another pair of 4 star offensive tackles. Yes, they are losing a lot of experience, but I think their "demise" is overblown.

Yeah it's not as if we were missing 3.5 of our best players for that game.... (Winfield, Brooks, Smith, Cashman for a half).

Wisconsin's incoming 2019 class includes a 5 star offensive tackle, a top 3 nationally rated QB, and another 4 star offensive tackle. The 2020 class already has another pair of 4 star offensive tackles. Yes, they are losing a lot of experience, but I think their "demise" is overblown.

Agree. Said it many times before, how about the Gophs just get good enough that our rivals don't need to be in a down year to beat them. Win, recruit, develop then rinse and repeat.

Agree. Said it many times before, how about the Gophs just get good enough that our rivals don't need to be in a down year to beat them. Win, recruit, develop then rinse and repeat.

Hey, I wonder if the Miami Hurricanes would buy into the idea of Wisconsin being "in a down year"?

Let's see: Purdue and Georgia Tech "didn't want to be there", and Wisconsin was "in a down year".

I assume the rest of our wins were sheer luck, and/or against inferior competition.

We still suck, I guess.

Hey, I wonder if the Miami Hurricanes would buy into the idea of Wisconsin being "in a down year"?

Let's see: Purdue and Georgia Tech "didn't want to be there", and Wisconsin was "in a down year".

I assume the rest of our wins were sheer luck, and/or against inferior competition.

We still suck, I guess.

New Mexico State: Casa De Autos had bad timing on a sales event or else the Gophers would have lost
Fresno State: First Road game for Fresno State so they weren't comfortable and didn't come to play, otherwise Gophers would have lost.
Miami OH: Baggage mix up with charter plane threw off the team. Otherwise Gophers would have lost.
Indiana: RAIN! Indiana just isn't a rain team. Otherwise Gophers would have lost.
Purdue: Purdue totally disinterested due to cold temps and flurries. Otherwise Gophers would have lost.
Wisconsin: Disappointing season and down year for Wisconsin. Disinterested. Otherwise Gophers would have lost.
Georgia Tech: Coach on his way out. Disinterested team and fan base sad about bowl snub. Otherwise Gophers would have lost.

New Mexico State: Casa De Autos had bad timing on a sales event or else the Gophers would have lost
Fresno State: First Road game for Fresno State so they weren't comfortable and didn't come to play, otherwise Gophers would have lost.
Miami OH: Baggage mix up with charter plane threw off the team. Otherwise Gophers would have lost.
Indiana: RAIN! Indiana just isn't a rain team. Otherwise Gophers would have lost.
Purdue: Purdue totally disinterested due to cold temps and flurries. Otherwise Gophers would have lost.
Wisconsin: Disappointing season and down year for Wisconsin. Disinterested. Otherwise Gophers would have lost.
Georgia Tech: Coach on his way out. Disinterested team and fan base sad about bowl snub. Otherwise Gophers would have lost.

Well said.

Don't forget: opposing teams have INJURIES. The Gophers injuries were far less significant.

I was at Camp Randall for the Gophers game last year, that Badgers team looked whipped, tired and lazy. I think their run has ended.

I was at Camp Randall for the Gophers game last year, that Badgers team looked whipped, tired and lazy. I think their run has ended.

Don't know about tired and lazy... but they definitely got whipped!

With the addition of tired and lazy, we'll have to update our list:

— Tired

— Lazy

— Didn't want to be there

— Disinterested

— Felt disrespected by the Bowl selectors

— Weather was bad

— Caught them in a "down" year

Wow! That's getting to be a pretty impressive list of excuses!

Last edited:

What would you have us do?? Lie and tell everyone we just beat Alabama??

I'm having trouble understanding when asterisks are supposed to be applied to W's and when they aren't. I'm noticing hints of inconsistency.

Top Bottom