Purdue really young, maybe looking to 2021

swingman

Reaction score
from Purdue site Hammer and Rails

The 2019 season is the first where his improved recruiting will begin to show dividends and the significant talent deficit will start to go away this year. Because we’re going to be so young (only 21 players as scholarship juniors & seniors) it could be another year with growing pains, but it will also be a year of building to big things in 2020 and 2021.

Gophers have about 33% more scholarship juniors and seniors than Purdue

So the 2 youngest teams in the Nation are both in the B1G West. Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has a "young" team fetish. You can always count on him to be the first to comment on these type of threads. It's simply amazing.

I am posting about the thread topic and commenting on something that coach said directly related to the thread topic. Not making anything up and really not that amazing. I’m just lucky that it coincides with my fetish.

I thought it closer to 41% swingdick.

The name calling will really teach swing a lesson on having a different opinion than you. Go get em’!!!

Took a while but swingman got there. Two threads started at the same time.

The commitment to the bit lives on.

Took a while but swingman got there. Two threads started at the same time.

The commitment to the bit lives on.

Ditto for you.

So did Sandusky.

_vz4Mp.gif

I think the opening big 10 game against Purdue may be the biggest one of the year.

If they lose, it's ho-hum

If they win, with Illinois the next week, they could be looking at 5-0 with Nebraska coming to TCF next. There would be some buzz and hoopla around the program.

Looks as though Purdue will be young and therefore taking some lumps more than likely. Meanwhile some fans will be screaming at him due to his contract extension trying to figure out why the field results aren't better.

I thought it closer to 41% swingdick.

It is, but Swingman was using Fleck-math and not counting special teams, or anyone else that he chooses not to incude, so it fits in with Fleck's culture.

I think the opening big 10 game against Purdue may be the biggest one of the year.

If they lose, it's ho-hum

If they win, with Illinois the next week, they could be looking at 5-0 with Nebraska coming to TCF next. There would be some buzz and hoopla around the program.

Yeah, counting Illinois as a gimme makes a ton of sense for the Gophers after our "performance" last season.

Yeah, counting Illinois as a gimme makes a ton of sense for the Gophers after our "performance" last season.

Is what's his nuts still the defensive coordinator? If not, I'm quite confident.

Things change my friend. Sort of like your waistline.

I'd ask you if you are more confident in beating illinois at home or purdue on the road.......but based on last year, you'd be totally confused by the question.

Last edited:

Is what's his nuts still the defensive coordinator? If not, I'm quite confident.

Things change my friend. Sort of like your waistline.

I'd ask you if you are more confident in beating illinois at home or purdue on the road.......but based on last year, you'd be totally confused by the question.

Their vaunted defense held us to 31 points. A full two touchdowns BELOW their league worst average in conference games. Robb Smith was terrible, but he wasn’t responsible for the offensive woes in that game.

You also want to check on the results from the last two times Rossi replaced Smith as DC.

But things do change, so we’ll see what happens. The end of the year was a nice change from the first part of the big ten season. We’ll see which situation was an aberration this season.

As for win confidence, Under PJ Fleck, I’m not confident we can beat the bad teams as we went 1-3 against teams with a losing record in conference play last season. The game we won was the team without the mobile qb being integral to the offense.

It shouldn’t matter where we play Illinois. We should beat them in their current state. Even at our worst in 2017 we beat them. So I’d have to say I’m more confident we could beat Purdue on the road this year.

Their vaunted defense held us to 31 points. A full two touchdowns BELOW their league worst average in conference games. Robb Smith was terrible, but he wasn’t responsible for the offensive woes in that game.

You also want to check on the results from the last two times Rossi replaced Smith as DC.

But things do change, so we’ll see what happens. The end of the year was a nice change from the first part of the big ten season. We’ll see which situation was an aberration this season.

As for win confidence, Under PJ Fleck, I’m not confident we can beat the bad teams as we went 1-3 against teams with a losing record in conference play last season. The game we won was the team without the mobile qb being integral to the offense.

It shouldn’t matter where we play Illinois. We should beat them in their current state. Even at our worst in 2017 we beat them. So I’d have to say I’m more confident we could beat Purdue on the road this year.

If they win, with Illinois the next week, they could be looking at 5-0

they could be

they could be

they could be

they could be

If they win, with Illinois the next week, they could be looking at 5-0

they could be

they could be

they could be

they could be

At the end of the day,

We could be 15-0.

We could be 0-12, too.

I don’t think either scenario is likely. The coaching staff hasn’t caught up to being in the big ten on game day full time, yet.

I always felt like the national opinion of Kill's regime would be tied loosely to what other coaches hired in the same year would accomplish. Kevin Wilson, especially. For Fleck, it is Brohm. It is interesting how Brohm has become the bigger buzzword between the two. I suppose the immediate improvement shown in year 1 (as opposed to the Gophers taking a step back), good recruiting, plus the highly visible flirtation with the Louisville job cemented him in people's minds nationally and solidified Purdue as a team on the rise. Once that opinion is set, it takes a bit more than a head to head blowout win for the Gophers over them, plus a very obvious crushing in a bowl game to override the opinion they are on the rise and their coach is a genius.

A big year for the Gophers in '19 may capture the imagination of people nationally a year after wins over Wisconsin and Georgia Tech did the same for most of the homers here in MN. And, that would raise Fleck's star above Brohm's, regardless of what is actually brewing within their respective teams for 2020 and 2021.

Expensive throwaway year with Brohm's contract. If Purdue is the one left out when all the B1G West teams on the rise take their spots this fall they could be paying $2-3M a win this year.

Purdue's NC is also no joke with a road opener at Nevada, then Vandy and TCU at home.

Top Bottom